Banshee Ride Rumor

kap91

What happens when somebody drops a flip flop or bag of snow globes onto the screen? It seems like using TV screens gives a much greater potential for guest-inflicted damage (unintentional or otherwise) than a projector, which keeps the sensitive equipment far away from guests.

If somebody drops a shoe on the Soarin' screen, they just need to brush it aside and everything works fine; if that happened on a fancy-schmancy TV screen, it could easily cause damage that would require serious repair or replacement of the unit completely. While it may work great for a screen that's in front of guests, I'm not so sure it's a good idea for a screen that guests will be dangling over

The soarin screen is pretty easily damaged and expensive. It's not a piece of cloth but perforated solid pieces (of aluminum I think? Some material). Probably not as pricey as a led panel, but something heavy dropping on it wouldn't be good. Most guests wear flip flops though. I think both are probably strong enough to resist damage from stuff like that.

RSoxNo1

The soarin screen is pretty easily damaged and expensive. It's not a piece of cloth but perforated solid pieces (of aluminum I think? Some material). Probably not as pricey as a led panel, but something heavy dropping on it wouldn't be good. Most guests wear flip flops though. I think both are probably strong enough to resist damage from stuff like that.
Especially if some idiot gives a kid a golfball and the kid throws it at the screen.

NelsonRD

Original Poster
Question out of ignorance. What is currently available in LED screens for high frame rate and 3D?

That is a good question. I remember the original leaked plans showed a 3D cleaning room. I know there has been development of 3D LED displays, and there have also been LED displays used with projection for 3D effects. I also remember Cameron pushing for a 3D experience. Personally, I would be very excited if I understood it to be true as an LED display as being discussed in this thread, and I think a LED display will provide a better experience not being 3D.

twebber55

That is a good question. I remember the original leaked plans showed a 3D cleaning room. I know there has been development of 3D LED displays, and there have also been LED displays used with projection for 3D effects. I also remember Cameron pushing for a 3D experience. Personally, I would be very excited if I understood it to be true as an LED display as being discussed in this thread, and I think a LED display will provide a better experience not being 3D.
just curious did someone working on the project give you this information?
thanks and i appreciate the info

RSoxNo1

Those leaks were a couple of years ago, it's possible that the project is no longer 3D. While we have been able to overlay those blueprints on the current construction, it's not unreasonable for a change like that.

heath.sneyd

Why would a 4K screen (or less) be more impressive than multiple 4K projectors?
Someone said it, I just can't find it. Anywho, the white/aluminum/whatever bright color screen is right in your face when you walk/ride in. A screen would be darker, thus keeping some sort of illusion of mystery to the attraction. It's all screen vs. projector there.
You don't use big screens... you use lots of small screens that butt together seamless...
And there is your remedy to resolution quality, sans the later problem of a bad screen, already addressed.
There's no inherent resolution to a video wall so it could very well be larger resolution. In reality it's not resolution that matters but pixel density and screen size. 4k is actually overhyped. There's multiple studies that show that unless you're ridiculously close to the screen or looking at text you can't tell the difference. What DOES make a huge difference in perceived quality is color, brightness, and contrast. And an LED wall would be so much better than projection on those accounts it wouldn't even compare. It's actually kind of a brilliant idea. Pixelation would have been an issue historically as pixel density on large led screens was terrible (the largest portion of the illuminations globe is only 256*256 pixels - which is almost fewer than a tamagotchi (sp?) ) but that no longer is the case. They can easily be made much higher res now and the differences you'd get in color and contrast would make even standard hd look better than 4k. Even more interesting-Dolby and technicolor have both been working on new color science models precisely for these reasons for a while now. Knowing that the Dolby tech for 3d has now become the gold standard for theme park 3d (star tours, transformers, Harry Potter) one has to wonder. Because that tech is more color based rather than polarization based it might be transferable to an led screen. I'd see that as being the biggest obstacle.

Heck led would even be better for maintenance in many ways cause it's modular. And no lint would ever get on the projection lens.

Sorry -just talking out loud. The idea is a very good one even if not happening.
Let's go back to TDO thinking here, and only because I'm feeling lazy right now and don't want to look it up... Price point?
Actually, the largest screens in the world are at Everbank Filed in Jacksonville Fl.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Jaguars-to-unveil-world’s-largest-video-boards/50919b20-e9e4-4891-bfac-0e42d29e93df

They look insanely good from anywhere in the stadium, but not so much from 20' away.
Ah, yes, the 2014 install... Another stadium gets a bigger one every year. They're starting to measure them on area, not animorphic size. Perfect for football stadium billboards, not so much for TV replays. Still, it'll loose it's title next year.
What happens when somebody drops a flip flop or bag of snow globes onto the screen? It seems like using TV screens gives a much greater potential for guest-inflicted damage (unintentional or otherwise) than a projector, which keeps the sensitive equipment far away from guests...
Answered here...
An SMD LED display is rugged enough to have a shoe dropped on it. Others have glass on top and have been used for dance floors.
Furthermore, a lexan or similarly fabricated protective screen with a matte finish would alleviate that problem altogether.

NelsonRD

Original Poster
I have personally seen large 3D TV's that do not use glasses in a demonstration. Unfortunately, we had to stand in the right spot, and the effect to me was less noticeable than it was to some of the others in our group.

Personally I do not like 3D, its so, Jaws....

flynnibus

Premium Member
The video wall and sycnrhonized projection displays at Infocomm are the most stunning part of the show every year :) They can really do seamless video across many displays/projectors now. It's fun watching them set it up too..

IMAX is awesome for film.. but when you work within specific constraints (and can cheat the source resolution issues) they can make STUNNING vibrant displays that are massive in size that show no artifacts from right up next to it.

Mike S

what is a banshee ride?
image.jpg

kap91

Those leaks were a couple of years ago, it's possible that the project is no longer 3D. While we have been able to overlay those blueprints on the current construction, it's not unreasonable for a change like that.

Just because it's an led screen does not rule out 3d. I doubt it'll be glasses less because that tech still has too far to go to work from multiple angles but there are multiple ways to do it on an led screen (analyglyph and active glasses polarization (like Disney quests pirates thing) come to mind.

And to the person who brought up price and TDO-I'm not an expert (though I'll see about getting in contact with a couple I know) but the price might not be all that much more than what a soarin style screen and projector would already cost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom