Some complaints are valid.....some not so much

Dads 2 Boys

Original Poster
I'm editing this so to be clear that I really, really, really like FP+.....with that being said.....

Everyone has their own opinion on the parks and that's indisputable (see these forums). There are people who complain so much it wants to make me vomit but it's their choice to be miserable. There are people who complain about the complainers (yet the original complainers never see the point). However, here is mine.

I'm getting tired of hearing the lamest of all complaints and this is the people who are whining about how you can't book last minute trips because of FP+. For those reactionary typers and responders.....read the whole post before spewing off.

This is simply not true. This is more of someone seemingly wanting to complain about FP+ and trying to use an argument that really doesn't support their feelings on the topic. FP+ does not in any way stop people from waiting in line. Period.

What did people do before the legacy FP existed? Booked a last minute trip and waited in line right? What about after legacy FP was released? Booked a last minute trip, got what FP you could get and....wait for it.....waited in line right? Either way, FP+ did not block anyone from booking a last minute trip.

My biggest issue with this argument is.....no one is forcing you to use FP+. No one forced you to use legacy FP. WDW does not force (nor has not forced) anyone to use fastpass. It's a choice for each guest to make whether it's their first trip or 30th trip. They still aren't forcing you to use it, it's an option for all guests. Period.

Before FP+, were you able to book a last minute trip? Yes. After FP+, are you able to book a last minute trip? Yes. Indisputable. Fastpass plus has zero impact on if you want to book a last minute trip. The same rides and attraction were there before and after FP+ yes? The same restaurants? Same WDW? The stand-by lines were also there before and after yes? So why exactly can't you go last minute? Zero reasons.

Now, does FP+ affect the wait times? Yes but so does weather, time of year, tour groups, cheer competitions, mardi gras, etc... Irregardless....it doesn't stop anyone from booking a last minute trip. If you call Kingdom Konsultants and tell Marie (@wannabeBelle) you want to book a last minute trip, she's not going to tell you no if you haven't made your FP+ selection yet. Sorry Marie for using you.....lol She may tell you no because there are no rooms available but not because you didn't make your FP+ selections.

FP+ is offered by Disney as another planning tool for those who choose to plan their trip ahead of time just like MDE. It's not someone with a gun to your head forcing you to do it. Because of how the system is, dining reservations are impacted by over planners more than anything and that's simply because Disney has that offering. This doesn't mean you can't eat. It just means you have to adjust your plans. The large majority of travelers, whether it's to WDW or elsewhere, are more planners than ever. That's society and the advent of the internet and smartphones has increased this. One of the biggest things that veteran WDW guests tell people is what???? To plan and do research right? So this is what so many are doing and technology is allowing the planning to be easier.

In my opinion, FP+ helps veteran guests more than the newbies. We know about what times we'll be where so it allows us to use our knowledge of the parks to plan FP+ ahead of time. Saves time in my opinion than having to pink pong around the parks to get the paper fastpasses. I for one really liked it this September and it was my first time using it. I like not having to "run with the herd" for TSMM or walking to the other side of the earth in Epcot to get one for Soarin'. I choose to use it because I'm an unapologetic line snob. My family set a threshold for wait times and if we don't have a FP for it, we will move on and go back. We never miss an attraction that we want...ever. That's my choice! See what I'm getting at.........

Just an observation.

Last edited:

Dads 2 Boys

Original Poster
Still a rant. Who's subject is obstensibly FP+.

I disagree. Not a rant nor is it at its core FP+. It's based on those who they can't book a last minute trip.

I guess each person will feel their own way about what I said. I was going to open a discussion with those who feel that way with perspective. I know... thatsy first mistake. Lol

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think it is the dining reservation issues that hinder last minute trips more thanFP+. They NEED to hold back some dining capacity for walk-ups.
Lets say you own a very popular bakery and could only make 100 birthday cakes a day. Because you are so popular, you have more than 100 people willing to order them 6 months in advance thereby selling your entire production every day of the year without fail. Would you tell 10 of those people "no" in the hopes that they would be replaced by 10 walk ups or would you take the sure thing?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Lets say you own a very popular bakery and could only make 100 birthday cakes a day. Because you are so popular, you have more than 100 people willing to order them 6 months in advance thereby selling your entire production every day of the year without fail. Would you tell 10 of those people "no" in the hopes that they would be replaced by 10 walk ups or would you take the sure thing?

One thing. If you leave room for walk ups, it becomes a means of creating new customers.

Also, a resturant is a different animal then a bakery with a fixed ceiling of product. The restaurants could handle walk ups. but prefer to be able to staff appropriately for the number of guests they know they have coming in.

Either way. Dining reservations and FP+ have increased the amount of pre planning a guest is expected to do. Does it make last minute trips impossible? no, of course not. But, it does limit what you can do on your trip.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
One thing. If you leave room for walk ups, it becomes a means of creating new customers.

Also, a resturant is a different animal then a bakery with a fixed ceiling of product. The restaurants could handle walk ups. but prefer to be able to staff appropriately for the number of guests they know they have coming in.

Either way. Dining reservations and FP+ have increased the amount of pre planning a guest is expected to do. Does it make last minute trips impossible? no, of course not. But, it does limit what you can do on your trip.
Why do you need to create more customers? You already have more than you can serve.

Every business will have some sort of max production. Four mechanics can only fix so many cars, two techs can only fix so many PCs and a restaurant can only serve so many customers.

Ralphlaw

Dads 2 Boys, why do you hate FP+ so much?

Just kidding. Good points, all. I do, however, sympathize that FP+ seems to make it slightly harder for Disney newbies or light planners to have a good time. Even minor attractions like the teacups now have both FP and standby lines. There was a time that a newbie could just walk in, ride a whole bunch of lesser attractions with few lines, and grab a kiosk FP for one or two big attractions. Now, you better have a fully charged cellphone to do much of anything.

It all just became a bit more confusing with FP+, and it seems that the standby lines overall might be a bit longer than they used to be, especially for these minor attractions.

Face it, it didn't take much for most of us to master the old FP kiosk system. Just walk up to the kiosk and give it a go, and a CM was often right there to help. Now, it's an iPhone thing that my wife handles, probably requiring registration, a password, mother's maiden name, astrological sign, blood sample, and cholesterol test to get a good time for Test Track. Okay, maybe not that bad, but can you picture your favorite 65+ year old relative mastering it? I can't. Yet a few years back I was able to teach my 70 year old mother about the FP kiosks in about 3 minutes. She got them for Haunted Mansion, and then rode Small World 5 times with my son until her window opened. Easy Peasy. Now, I assume she'd be staring at a cellphone screen trying to make it work--unsuccessfully.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Why do you need to create more customers? You already have more than you can serve.

Every business will have some sort of max production. Four mechanics can only fix so many cars, two techs can only fix so many PCs and a restaurant can only serve so many customers.

You always need to be creating new customers. Old customers eventually stop coming, and they need to be replaced.

That's true that a resturant probably has a max number of people it can serve per hour or per night. Simply based on chairs. I just think its a much more fluid situation for the most part. Cancellations, no shows, fast diners, slow diners all impact that number. Holding a few tables per hour, for walk ups, is the best compromise, IMO.

epcot2004

Definitely agree with the dining reservations issue. We made reservations a fast as we could just to get them. In the end we cancelled almost all of them mostly to allow for changes as the trip progressed. My assumption is that allowed others to walk up or make last minute plans. It can be unsettling thinking 6 months out that you won't (might) not get to eat at your preferred locations. It will be interesting to see if FP+ timing conflicts will have any effect on dining reservations or vice versa.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You always need to be creating new customers. Old customers eventually stop coming, and they need to be replaced.

That's true that a resturant probably has a max number of people it can serve per hour or per night. Simply based on chairs. I just think its a much more fluid situation for the most part. Cancellations, no shows, fast diners, slow diners all impact that number. Holding a few tables per hour, for walk ups, is the best compromise, IMO.
This is only true if you are below your theoretical maximum.

If you can handle 100 guests per hour and have 60 booked, staffing to handle 70 +/- could work.

However, if you have 100 booked, denying any bookings just does not make sense. Any no shows will most likely easily be filled with walk ups.

awilliams4

I think it is the dining reservation issues that hinder last minute trips more thanFP+. They NEED to hold back some dining capacity for walk-ups.

Just guessing but if they found that to be a profitable approach, they probably would. I suspect they found it to be much more profitable to know in advance an expectation of about how many employees were needed at about what time(s) to manage the restaurants in the most efficient manner.

awilliams4

This.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom