What did you do?

atrus79

After feeling tired and like I was coming down with something ... took a week off from running. Not the best idea before Dopey ... but boy I needed it!

Started my final mock Dopey today ... 3.11 miles at 12:02 p/mile. Took it easy today as I will the next 2 days for the planned 5 & 12 miles. Then it's time for 26 at a normal pace on Friday.

Kermit262

After feeling tired and like I was coming down with something ... took a week off from running. Not the best idea before Dopey ... but boy I needed it!

Started my final mock Dopey today ... 3.11 miles at 12:02 p/mile. Took it easy today as I will the next 2 days for the planned 5 & 12 miles. Then it's time for 26 at a normal pace on Friday.
26! Is that the Galloway plan? Good luck @atrus79. I've got a long run of 20 on Sunday coming up, and I thought that was tough. :eek:

Texas84

My new NB 890v4's showed up yesterday. I moved up a half size and my toes have a bit more room. I'll try them on my 3-miler tomorrow.

LindsayLoves

5 mile easy run yesterday.

Note to self (PSA to others) - when you have shin splints don't worry about wearing cute shoes. My shin issues had pretty much cleared up by my long run on Saturday but then I decided I need to wear cute shoes for two Christmas parties and my shins are worse than they were before. The plan is to R.I.C.E. the hell out of them until this clears up, which is a tough pill to swallow because I am pretty close to a big mileage milestone for the year (and its going to be over 50 degrees today), but getting to the start line of Dopey healthy is a far bigger priority.

Good luck to all those with big runs coming up this weekend!

atrus79

Day 2 of mock Dopey ... 5 miles at an easy 12:49 p/mile pace ... two more to go.

26! Is that the Galloway plan? Good luck @atrus79. I've got a long run of 20 on Sunday coming up, and I thought that was tough. :eek:

Yeah ... this is the Galloway Plan. I had a mock Dopey Thanksgiving weekend that went up to 20 miles ... but this is the first one all the way to 26. Heading into this training ... my goal is/was to take it easy the first three runs and then let loose on the last ... hopefully that will be the case ;)

JillC LI

My primary care doc has told me he can refer to a sports doctor if I need it. Is that an option for you?

I took him to an orthopedist for the xray. That's who recommended he MRI just to be sure. Wasn't entirely comfortable with the office but I couldn't get him in to see my usual orthopedist for over a week!

I'm not a doctor, nor did I even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so take this with a grain of salt. Does he do leg/hip exercises? If the pain came on with a transition to a new running surface I'd not be surprised if he needs to help train a new set of muscles to help accommodate changes to his mechanics. Possibly try to build in some more stretches throughout the day to help his flexibility as well. Alphabets, calf stretches, etc. Nothing major, just a few minutes a few times a day trying to help limber up. Or does he possibly need a different shoe for indoors? I've had similar issues when changing surfaces and those are my usual culprits (and some light strengthening & stretching never hurts).

The pain did seem to come on when he moved from outdoor cross-country to indoor track. I like your idea of some extra stretches. I had suggested he do toe lifts before practice each day. Shoes may be a factor too. He mentioned that for races he was using his outdoor spikes with the spikes removed so I doubt that there's much support. Perhaps inserts would help. All good thoughts - thanks. He did run Monday and Tuesday this week, and so far he's sore from having taken a week off but no shin pain. I'm thinking it's muscular, not a stress fracture.

imagination30

i have defeated a 5k , a 10 k , and half marathon , now its time to for my next challange , a 15k , yes tonight i registerd for my first 15k in Nashville , the Hot choclate 15k ... i was kinda mulling it and not doing but hey , you get choclate you cant pass that up ,.. and a sweet goodie bag too!

dreamfinder

My new NB 890v4's showed up yesterday. I moved up a half size and my toes have a bit more room. I'll try them on my 3-miler tomorrow.

Any good colorway? I snagged another pair of the V3 at the NB outlet last week (grey blah), all the V4's were like size 14 and up. Was surprised to see the V3 surface, I've been watching like a hawk for any of either and hadn't seen them for ages.

The pain did seem to come on when he moved from outdoor cross-country to indoor track. I like your idea of some extra stretches. I had suggested he do toe lifts before practice each day. Shoes may be a factor too. He mentioned that for races he was using his outdoor spikes with the spikes removed so I doubt that there's much support. Perhaps inserts would help. All good thoughts - thanks. He did run Monday and Tuesday this week, and so far he's sore from having taken a week off but no shin pain. I'm thinking it's muscular, not a stress fracture.

I don't know if I'd want to run in spikeless spiked shoes ever. The mounting points just seem like they would cause all sorts of issues. But that is just me and my very very limited track shoe experience. Good to hear the time off seemed to have helped.

JillC LI

I don't know if I'd want to run in spikeless spiked shoes ever. The mounting points just seem like they would cause all sorts of issues. But that is just me and my very very limited track shoe experience. Good to hear the time off seemed to have helped.

I agree about running in spikeless spiked shoes, but he insists he is faster in them than in anything else. His first race back is tomorrow, and I told him if he has shin pain afterwards, then it has to be from racing in those shoes (he doesn't wear them in practice).

As for me, interesting work out this morning on the TM. Started at 6.0 pace and did 1 minute each at:
6.0, 6.2, 6.4
6.1, 6.3, 6.5
6.2, 6.4, 6.6
6.3, 6.5, 6.7
6.4, 6.6, 6.8
6.5, 6.7, 6.9
6.6, 6.8, 7.0

Texas84

Any good colorway? I snagged another pair of the V3 at the NB outlet last week (grey blah), all the V4's were like size 14 and up. Was surprised to see the V3 surface, I've been watching like a hawk for any of either and hadn't seen them for ages.

I think they have some good v4 colors. I usually go direct to NB but Amazon sometimes has good deals. Funny, the blue/yellow are thinner around the heel than the others and have a looser fit. So far I've also had the blue Garmin special edition and just got the orange/white and they seem to run a half size small.
890v4-color.jpg

890v4.jpg

Took the new shoes out for the Dopey simulation 3-miler this morning and they passed. The extra half size was a good move.

atrus79

Shortened from 26 miles to 22 miles today due to time constraints. With that said, 22 miles at a 11:47 p/mile pace. Picked up the pace to make my legs burn after running for 3 days ... will probably be sore tomorrow, but feel ready for the actual Dopey. Good luck to anyone else running 20+ miles this weekend! A couple more weeks until race day! :)

LindsayLoves

@atrus79 - nice job and don't sweat the shortened mileage. With 10 miles and 22 miles back to back you are in great shape for Dopey! Enjoy the taper, you've earned it.

I am still taking it easy with the shin splint, despite it feeling really good today I think I am going to stay on the RICE train through the weekend. My compression socks are sure getting a workout this week with all day wear. Luckily I have a new pair waiting for me at my parents house for next week. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom