Activating Magic Band in park

nolatron

Original Poster
Hi All,

I have some magic bands that a friend picked for me at the MK a few weeks ago for my trip next month. I'm staying offsite and thought I'd give them a try. Now that I have park passes purchased and linked to my MDE account I tried to link the 3 bands to my account but all 3 came back with an invalid band id error.

I called Disney about it and at first the girl didn't see the first ID number I gave her. I gave her the other and then put me on hold to talk with some other tickets dept. She came back and said she can now see all 3 ID's but for some reason they are not able to link the bands to my account. She said I would have to visit a shop in the park and they can link them there.

At first I thought no biggie, but now I'm wondering will the shop require a receipt showing I purchased them?

If my friend or I can't locate the original receipt will we be out of luck on getting these bands linked up?

Anybody been through a similar scenario?

Tom

Beta Return
Bands can't be purchased in the parks unless they're linked to an MDE account, so your friend would have had them automatically linked to his account at check-out. Once a band is linked to an account, it cannot be transferred to another account. They do this so people don't buy Magic Bands and then re-sell them.

Your friend should log into his MDE account and see if those bands are listed. If so, you'll have to buy your own bands.

Tom

Beta Return
But wasn't that policy changed in August so Bands could be bought without linking them?

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymag...of-magicbands-without-linking-to-a-ticket.htm

I'll have him check out his account though to see if they linked them anyway. That's gonna be annoying if they did.

Thanks.

Ah yes, it's only the limited edition and other special bands that must be linked. If he just bought the plain colored bands for you, they should be able to be linked to your account.....but only if they aren't already linked to another account.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Ah yes, it's only the limited edition and other special bands that must be linked. If he just bought the plain colored bands for you, they should be able to be linked to your account.....but only if they aren't already linked to another account.
Special Editions do not have to be linked either anymore. I know this because I purchased some Christmas Party Band sold only at the party (not the regular Christmas one) and the Olaf Christmas Special edition while in MK and they asked if we wanted to link them or not. We had the choice. This was in November. :)

Tom

Beta Return
Special Editions do not have to be linked either anymore. I know this because I purchased some Christmas Party Band sold only at the party (not the regular Christmas one) and the Olaf Christmas Special edition while in MK and they asked if we wanted to link them or not. We had the choice. This was in November. :)

Oh wow! We were there in August and I bought the Haunted Mansion band. I had to link it. Glad they're loosening up a bit.

They probably realized they'd sell a ton more if they didn't have such restrictions.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Oh wow! We were there in August and I bought the Haunted Mansion band. I had to link it. Glad they're loosening up a bit.

They probably realized they'd sell a ton more if they didn't have such restrictions.
Yes they are making more and if you go look on EBay you now see special editions sold as UNLINKED. A few months ago people were just selling linked ones as keepsakes. Now you see a lot making a nice little penny on the unlinked special edition bands. Lol :)

nolatron

Original Poster
Welp, my friend checked his and his g/f's MDE account and neither have the bands linked. So hopefully they'll let me link them up in the park.

Which sorta defeats the whole purpose of being able to buy them unlinked. Only reason I had him buy them ahead of time for me was so I could link everything up before we arrived so they'd be ready to go, otherwise I would've just waited till we got there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom