How long will the frozen ride acutely last?

Jon81uk

Given that Little Mermaid ride only opened in MK a few years ago and that is based on a 20 year old film, I think a Frozen attraction could be around for 20 years. Although it will need updates to the ride, the basic idea of an attraction based on that film is good.

tl77

The Little Mermaid almost went into the Living Sea instead of Nemo, but instead has rides at DL and MK, a stage show at DHS, is the center piece of Tokyo Disney Sea, is the mascot for the Beach Club Villas, and even has her own hotel now at The Art of Animation ...how long do you think this Little Mermaid thing will actually last?

Mouse_Trap

This Frozen epidemic isn't going to last forever and although Nemo has taken over The Living Seas and Grand Fiesta has a 3 caballeros it all sticks to the theme of the pavilion. Will a full movie themed ride in the World Showcase actually last. The Epcot crowd will always be different and vary in age differences and once this hype and special trips to see the Frozen ride die down will they have a reason to keep a frozen themed ride. As it is Maelstrom had a decent attendance unlike Grand Fiesta where I have never seen a line nor have I ever seen a full boat. I think in a good 5-10 years a reopening of Maelstrom and a relocation of the frozen ride would do really well.

The answer I believe lies in their annual accounts and relates to depreciation. Capital investments (like this Maelstrom overlay) are depreciated over a set period of time. If they need to get rid of it before it has been completely depreciated, this results in a write-off in the account (generally seen as a bad thing).

Disney Parks & Resorts division depreciates on a straight-line basis over its estimated useful life, for Attractions that's between 25-40 years.

The problem I have with a Frozen overlay is that it takes away from the culture of Norway. Tres Caballeros doesn't, in my opinion, showcase Mexico. I would rather a Frozen ride (not really) be a stand alone and not interfere with what World Showcase was meant to be. I realize that Mulan wasn't the hit of Frozen, but they theoretically could have overlayed China with that. Germany could have been overlayed with Snow White, etc. We shall see where this goes.

True, just like they could have overlayed the UK with Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland and Winnie the Pooh....

Oh, wait...:facepalm:

MarkTwain

It seems like even things built to be temporary have ways of lasting a decade (or more) at WDW. If Disney is building this ride with the intention for it to be permanent, I can only imagine it will be. Other flash-in-the-pan attractions across property certainly seem to have attained semi-permanent status (SGE, Nemo, Pooh).

copcarguyp71

Frozen is to Norway what apples are to Tuesday...

a28d04090c637a236b21e94af3644ac81c6a0d9beceb1cd9d7ce25325b9eb0c6.jpg

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Frozen? I'm pretty sure like the Little Mermaid it won't stand the test of time. Just like that Cinderella fad. Or that Snow White folly.

Disney animated movies have amazing longevity. I can only see Frozen disappear because of its very specific CGI - it remains to be seen what the longevity of cgi movies is, so far they tend to appear quite dated quite soon. And for Disney going the temporary hype route, which means their products could lose their timeless classic appeal, and instead go the way of the rest of popular culture, short-lived and quickly discarded for the next big thing.

As for EPCOT, sadly I think the princesses and drunks and honeybooboos are here to stay. Things will get worse rather than better. Frozen sold as Norway will attract the a-cultured unwashed even more, who will then flood the surveys with complaints there is not enough to do for their snowflakes they took to the Experimental Princess Community park.

Matt_Black

I can only see Frozen disappear because of its very specific CGI - it remains to be seen what the longevity of cgi movies is, so far they tend to appear quite dated quite soon.

Like that Toy Story nonsense. No one cares about that anymore!

CGI is only one factor. Just like in live-action films that are effects heavy, while some elements may appear dated, if the story and characters are strong enough, then that won't matter. Look at Raiders of the Lost Ark, Robocop, Ghostbusters, and other films like that from the 80s. They all still hold up very well.

TXDisney

I don't see this being a problem. Disneys films such as frozen that kids go crazy for stay living forever. They're timeless, that's what makes disney disney. Peter Pan still is one of the most popular rides there and that movie came out years ago. Add the fact that it's one if very few rides in WS, it will be plenty busy.

Matt_Black

I don't see this being a problem. Disneys films such as frozen that kids go crazy for stay living forever. They're timeless, that's what makes disney disney. Peter Pan still is one of the most popular rides there and that movie came out years ago. Add the fact that it's one if very few rides in WS, it will be plenty busy.

Indeed. The Disney movies that get forgotten are the ones that weren't that successful to begin with. Black Cauldron, looking at you...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom