Reflections of Earth improvements including new lasers

THEMEPARKPIONEER

ORDER IS LITERALLY TURNING INTO AN ABSTRACT LASER SHOW!!!!!!!! more lasers for order, just found this new recently uploaded video. The show is really starting to turn into Illuminations 25 without the water images and different music

Father Robinson

All right, here goes.. this is my absolute FAVORITE attraction that Disney has ever had. That being said, I think they may be starting to go a bit overboard with the lasers. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, this show thrives on subtlety, and doesn't need a bunch of fancy effects to get it's point across. I'm a firm believer in the idea that less is more and that's part of the reason this show has always been my favorite. The lasers IMO should only be there to ACCENT the other effects. These things are looking like they're starting to take over the show. Maybe I'm by myself in this one while others marvel at the new effect, but I really think they should tone it down a bit in certain areas and leave the really dazzling effects for "Celebration".

Sage of Time

All right, here goes.. this is my absolute FAVORITE attraction that Disney has ever had. That being said, I think they may be starting to go a bit overboard with the lasers. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, this show thrives on subtlety, and doesn't need a bunch of fancy effects to get it's point across. I'm a firm believer in the idea that less is more and that's part of the reason this show has always been my favorite. The lasers IMO should only be there to ACCENT the other effects. These things are looking like they're starting to take over the show. Maybe I'm by myself in this one while others marvel at the new effect, but I really think they should tone it down a bit in certain areas and leave the really dazzling effects for "Celebration".
I mentioned that bit about subtlety... but I really don't think that the lasers do anything but support the accents and moods of the show. It's not like it's a rave in there, the lasers just come on for when the music requires them. I love it.

Father Robinson

I mentioned that bit about subtlety... but I really don't think that the lasers do anything but support the accents and moods of the show. It's not like it's a rave in there, the lasers just come on for when the music requires them. I love it.
It's just the vibe I get watching the new vids. My point was I don't think the music requires them every time we see them now, IE all the swoops, (was great when it was just twice during "Celebration"), All the (additional) beams during "Chaos", to me that was only a fire and pyro exploding driven segment that required nothing more. From the videos it does seem to me that at least SOME of them are being used in excess.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
All the (additional) beams during "Chaos", to me that was only a fire and pyro exploding driven segment that required nothing more. From the videos it does seem to me that at least SOME of them are being used in excess.
Chaos has always had plenty of lasers since 1999. You just couldn't see them well.

Let me re link this again. The original programming :

mightynine

They really aren't excessive in person, though the lasers are certainly more noticeable due to being so bright AND colorful. However, it doesn't feel over the top in the main show.

At the end of the holiday tag, you could argue the lasers go a little nuts. But then, so are the fireworks at that point.

I still think my favorite part of the refreshed show isn't the lasers, but rather the fade up of the spotlight during "We Go On". Just fits the moment perfectly.

Father Robinson

Well hopefully it's something that, like you guys say, in person it looks a lot better. Thevideos naturally wouldn't do it justice. Our local mall has a laser light show. I wouldn't want anything THAT over the top for ROE, it doesn't warrant it.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

They really aren't excessive in person, though the lasers are certainly more noticeable due to being so bright AND colorful. However, it doesn't feel over the top in the main show.

At the end of the holiday tag, you could argue the lasers go a little nuts. But then, so are the fireworks at that point.

I still think my favorite part of the refreshed show isn't the lasers, but rather the fade up of the spotlight during "We Go On". Just fits the moment perfectly.

Well hopefully it's something that, like you guys say, in person it looks a lot better. Thevideos naturally wouldn't do it justice. Our local mall has a laser light show. I wouldn't want anything THAT over the top for ROE, it doesn't warrant it.
Just in case you didn't know the lasers have been a nightly tradition at Epcot since day 1, Just like the Main Street Electrical Parade is at the Magic Kingdom. Just like those who have been longing for a return of the Main Street Electrical Parade, this is the time for those Illuminations fans who have been waiting for a really good Laser show over the World Showcase again. As for me, i hope they go all out and add the water images back, I don't even care if the Earth goes dark for some parts of the show.

hpyhnt 1000

Surprisingly, I find myself agreeing with you. And I'm someone who absolutely loves lasers and has always felt that RoE needed to ratchet up its lasers about 100 fold.

But you're right about Order. Having them flash and wipe on the downbeats seems a bit unnecessary. In some ways, I think the show techs are trying to address what has always been a complaint with RoE : that the "globe part" is too long and "boring." Looks like they're trying to liven it up a bit with some laser effects. But this is why I asked a while back about the possibility/hope of fountain upgrades. Some new nozzles combined with LED lighting could really plus that section of the show without being as in your face as the lasers.

It is important to remember that, from the looks of it, the lasers are still in a test and adjust period. I'm sure the show techs are as fond of the show as many of us are and understand why its successful; they know what they're doing.

Last edited:

ChristianG

Found a cool video taken from out of the park. It really gives you an idea of how big and bright these lasers are (best part starts at 0:40):

THEMEPARKPIONEER

This may be a silly question, but is there a difference between the type of lasers used in Reflections of Earth and the type of lasers used indoors at concerts, for example like those used by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra? I assume the system for a more permanent show like Reflections of Earth has a more complex system than a tour that performs in a new venue on a nightly basis.
There probably both solid state since Epcot did away with the gas lasers, Epcots are probably one of the most powerful out there. But there are so many different types and brands for different venues the odds are that there not the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom