DS just talked me into buying a 65" high def TV - WOW ... Disney films

JIMINYCR

Original Poster
Yeah... my DS has been trying to convince me to get with it and get rid of the old TV and buy a 65" ultra high def curved screen TV. I resisted purchasing one because, #1 I really thought I had no need for one, the old set still worked fine, #2 I didnt feel like laying out the cash for one :greedy::greedy:, and #3 Theres not a lot I like on cable anymore. Well DS convinced me & DW to go to his store where he works and take a look. They were running a good promotion and I would be saving $$$. After watching a few minutes I thought.... Gee, that does look reaaaal nice. So crisp and clear. Wonder how the Pats will look playing on the large screen?? ( SuperBowl hopes coming up !!!) I made the purchase, it was installed a few days later. Now I'm in heaven re-watching all my old Disney films, cartoons, shorts, even the Disney vacation planning DVD's. WOW do those old Disney films look great. The large screen really brings out the animators talents. This is one time dad is glad he listened to DS. ;)

PhilharMagician

Yeah... my DS has been trying to convince me to get with it and get rid of the old TV and buy a 65" ultra high def curved screen TV. I resisted purchasing one because, #1 I really thought I had no need for one, the old set still worked fine, #2 I didnt feel like laying out the cash for one :greedy::greedy:, and #3 Theres not a lot I like on cable anymore. Well DS convinced me & DW to go to his store where he works and take a look. They were running a good promotion and I would be saving $$$. After watching a few minutes I thought.... Gee, that does look reaaaal nice. So crisp and clear. Wonder how the Pats will look playing on the large screen?? ( SuperBowl hopes coming up !!!) I made the purchase, it was installed a few days later. Now I'm in heaven re-watching all my old Disney films, cartoons, shorts, even the Disney vacation planning DVD's. WOW do those old Disney films look great. The large screen really brings out the animators talents. This is one time dad is glad he listened to DS. ;)

Merry Christmas!

epcotisbest

I did the same thing, except it was not an ultra high def curved screen, just a 1080p 120hz 65incher. Got it hooked up where the old flat screen was and it was just overpowering. So big and bright and both my wife and I got massive headaches trying to watch it.
Now, if we could have walked through the kitchen, and took our recliners out onto the carport and watched it from outside, through the door maybe, that might have worked, but it is too cold for that!
Fortunately, I was able to return it and we put the old smaller flat screen back up and are enjoying it. 65 was just too darn big. I told my brother (who has a 70) and he said there is no such thing as too big a TV. At my house, there is. Lesson learned and a few hundred dollars saved. Won't be buying another TV until I really need it, and it won't be any bigger than probably a 40 or 50. That just seems to fit us best.
Hope you enjoy yours.

Cmdr_Crimson

I got a 120" screen with an LED projection...Results are pretty good...And watching Disney Film Attractions sans the 4D still is worth it..Here's when I was watching Muppet*Vision in my room..
DSC03186_zps1db3dd5b.jpg

PhilharMagician

I did the same thing, except it was not an ultra high def curved screen, just a 1080p 120hz 65incher. Got it hooked up where the old flat screen was and it was just overpowering. So big and bright and both my wife and I got massive headaches trying to watch it.
Now, if we could have walked through the kitchen, and took our recliners out onto the carport and watched it from outside, through the door maybe, that might have worked, but it is too cold for that!
Fortunately, I was able to return it and we put the old smaller flat screen back up and are enjoying it. 65 was just too darn big. I told my brother (who has a 70) and he said there is no such thing as too big a TV. At my house, there is. Lesson learned and a few hundred dollars saved. Won't be buying another TV until I really need it, and it won't be any bigger than probably a 40 or 50. That just seems to fit us best.
Hope you enjoy yours.

I got a 120" screen with an LED projection...Results are pretty good...And watching Disney Film Attractions sans the 4D still is worth it..Here's when I was watching Muppet*Vision in my room..

Well, I am sporting a 1998 Sony 55" wide screen 1080I projection beast! :oops:

PhilharMagician

I have a friend with one of those. It must be six feet tall, about five feet wide, and about two feet thick. It takes hand trucks and a strong back to move the thing. He won't replace it because "these new-fangled TVs just ain't big enough."

Yeah, but it has it's has wheels and rolls easy. I bet yours doesn't have wheels! :D

ewensell3

I have a friend with one of those. It must be six feet tall, about five feet wide, and about two feet thick. It takes hand trucks and a strong back to move the thing. He won't replace it because "these new-fangled TVs just ain't big enough."

Not to mention those projections need to be retuned when they are moved. And replacing the cooling fluid once a decade can be fun.

Take him round Costco. They should have a 90+ incher out front for the holidays.

BoarderPhreak

I just hope that Disney at some point releases a 4K or 8K (UHD) remaster of all their titles. Obviously it's just a matter of time. The problem is the medium... Current BluRay ain't gonna do it. Go figure, 4K BluRay is due in 2015...

That said, even BluRay with 1080p quality looks amazing (I have all the PotC movies, for example).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom