Comfort shoes

Haniel

Kind of weird question to ask but I have plantar fasciitis. Basically I lack the arch on feet, so I need some comfortable yet supportive shoes. Any suggestions, would a walking shoe be better than a waling shoe?

dreamfinder

Not sure what a waling shoe is. But I'll offer the same advice I do most times people ask about footwear. Wear them for as much as possible before hand. Hours or days are key. Runners will put 20-50 miles on shoes before they wear them for a marathon, your Disney shoes should be the same way. Also, spend as much time on your feet and walking as possible to help build up your leg strength will be to your benefit.

I'd suggest trying a local shoe store, or maybe even a running store. Avoid big box stores and most chains as they often know little about the actual product they are selling. But a decent running/walking shoe purchased from a good running store could definitely be a good option for you.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
And get the right socks. Padded smooth inside and moisture wicking, something similar to socks runners wear when racing. And second Dreamfinder's suggestions. If need be, replace insert in shoe with one with a good arch support. A shoe store that caters to runners can help you both with the proper shoe and an insert, if needed.

Upvote 0

Haniel

Original Poster
Thanks guys.. I will visit a local shoe store an see what best fits my needs. I will see what the best insoles are also, and never though about socks

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I have almost no arches either. When I go to WDW I take a good pair of running sneakers (which typically have more cushioning and better breathability than a walking sneaker or a cross-trainer) and a pair of hiking sandals (e.g., Tevas). I select them carefully after trying them on the shoe store to make sure they give me adequate support and don't have arch supports that hurt my feet, and then break them in for a couple of weeks before we go. Once at WDW, I wear the sneakers (with moisture-wicking socks) in the morning when we're really on the move, and change into the sandals for the evening when we're doing a little less walking. Switching shoes mid-day helps prevent blisters and "footwear fatigue."

Upvote 0

Dads 2 Boys

I have plantar fasciitis as well and it has mostly gone away using heel inserts but also due to the greatest shoe ever......lol The Nike Fingertrap Max.....OMG it's like walking on pillows. I wore them 6 of the eight days during our trip a few months ago in September and they were amazing. They are pricey but worth every damn penny.

There are 10-15 color schemes so you should be able to find one that suits your taste.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KLeigh

I also have the same problem, and I'd end up killing my feet at the end of the first day when I thought I brought proper footwear, but actually didn't.

For our last trip I made a point of only bringing shoes that were super comfortable, with plenty of arch support. I also bought foam/cushioning shoe inserts (heel to the ball of the foot) and added them into my Toms and running shoes for extra support.

Also be sure to spend 10-15 minutes at the end of the day massaging your feet. I found this helped eliminate any pain or discomfort in my arches for the next day.

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

I also have the same problem and have worn a good pair of Asics brand sneakers to the parks for years. They breathe well and provide good support. The key is finding the best fit for your arches.

Upvote 0

Dads 2 Boys

Arch support will only do so much for the pain of the plantar fasciitis in the heel. There has to be some serious cushioning for the heel which is probably why the Fingertraps worked so well for me.

I was so excited to not have to deal with that while in WDW. The partially torn meniscus and scar tissue build up in my right knee on the other hand......lol Thank goodness for planning proper footwear and alternating b/c I was able to manage it real well.

rsoxguy is correct with getting one for you. Try on as many as you can.

Upvote 0

xracer4844

My girlfriend has plantar fasciitis. We just spent a week at disney in october. Just before leaving, she purchased sketchers "go walk" shoes. She said they were the most comfortable shoes shes worn for walking, and they were recommended for plantar fasciitis. They are awesome for Disney because they are light, you don't need to wear socks with them, if they get wet...they dry quickly. She didn't have to use insoles or anything...but her running shoes have plantar fasciitis insoles and she brought them as well as a pair of nike memory foam flip flops that have been really comfortable for her.

Just remember that shoes won't fix everything. While waiting in lines, try to rest one foot at a time. If possible, lean on a railing to take weight off of your feet etc. Rest your feet whenever you can. There is nothing worse than hurting your feet within the first couple of days.

Upvote 0

Dads 2 Boys

My girlfriend has plantar fasciitis. We just spent a week at disney in october. Just before leaving, she purchased sketchers "go walk" shoes. She said they were the most comfortable shoes shes worn for walking, and they were recommended for plantar fasciitis. They are awesome for Disney because they are light, you don't need to wear socks with them, if they get wet...they dry quickly. She didn't have to use insoles or anything...but her running shoes have plantar fasciitis insoles and she brought them as well as a pair of nike memory foam flip flops that have been really comfortable for her.

Just remember that shoes won't fix everything. While waiting in lines, try to rest one foot at a time. If possible, lean on a railing to take weight off of your feet etc. Rest your feet whenever you can. There is nothing worse than hurting your feet within the first couple of days.

This is a key.....especially the standing part. That actually hurts my feet more than walking.

Upvote 0

Clamman73

For my fall trip I got a pair of the Skechers Go Walk which worked out well with switching to my Asics for the other half of the day when one or the other would get wet. I really like wearing the Go Walks just around the house since they're so lite weight.

Upvote 0

aw14

Kind of weird question to ask but I have plantar fasciitis. Basically I lack the arch on feet, so I need some comfortable yet supportive shoes. Any suggestions, would a walking shoe be better than a waling shoe?
I have the exact same situation as you. I usually bring whatever running shoe I own. Typically a Brooks Beast. Very supportive but large.

I also own a pair of Keens

Upvote 0

Haniel

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great responses. I have been soo busy and haven't been able to check the responses. I will need to do a lot of research before our trip in a little over a month. I appreciate all the responses.

Upvote 0

WDW 3

My DH has flat feet. Flat. He swears by the Merrell Moab. He wore them every day never had a problem for the entire week.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom