Apple iOS talk

donsullivan

Premium Member
I don't believe it is a law. From what I was taught in my Apple training, AppleCare can be purchased 30 days after purchase but must be done at an Apple Store so that they can inspect that the unit is till functional.

No, it's a weird, really old consumer law in Florida that prevents Applecare being sold online. The Apple website allows you to do it right from the computer right up until the 1 year warranty expires but not in Florida.

Also, I had to actually do it twice in the last 45 days for my iMac and 13" Retina both of which hit 1 year in the last 2 months. I did not bring either of them to the store for the purchase of AppleCare. I've done this countless times over the decade+ that I've lived in Florida and never once have I had to bring the computer in to purchase AppleCare when I was approaching the 1 year warranty expiration. I've never bought it within 30 days of original purchase.

Voxel

President of Progress City
No, it's a weird, really old consumer law in Florida that prevents Applecare being sold online. The Apple website allows you to do it right from the computer but not in Florida.

Also, I had to actually do it twice in the last 45 days for my iMac and 13" Retina both of which hit 1 year in the last 2 months. I did not bring either of them to the store for the purchase of AppleCare. I've done this countless times over the decade+ that I've lived in Florida and never once have I had to bring the computer in to purchase AppleCare when I was approaching the 1 year warranty expiration. I've never bought it within 30 days of original purchase.
Interesting... I might have to reexamine that and call up a few of my friends, or perhaps I am mixing up AppleCare and AppleCare+. (I can memorize tech specs all night long, but trying to remember the AppleCare and the Geek Squad protection they are bound to mix me up).

donsullivan

Premium Member
I've heard nothing specific yet.

If memory serves me right, Apple said it would be available by Christmas during the announcement. I would imagine they would want to be ready soon since Christmas starts very soon for retail.

I do really wish I was not on the S update cycle. NFC payment is the feature I've wanted in the iPhone since it started popping up.

I'm hearing rumblings that WDW has set December 10 as their target date to begin support of Apple Pay. Only one source so far so still just a rumor.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Has there been any updates on this rollout?

It still seems to be on track for 12/10. However since it will not be supported at 'operating participants' or table service (makes sense) it's unclear how you'll know if a particular location supports it or not. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Jeffxz

It still seems to be on track for 12/10. However since it will not be supported at 'operating participants' or table service (makes sense) it's unclear how you'll know if a particular location supports it or not. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Thanks, so I guess they will be using the same payment terminals that were rolled out with MM+. I was thinking maybe WDW would use this as excuse to redesign those horrible terminals.

It would be nice to see them use the same process as Open Table to pay using apple pay directly in the MM+ app for table service.

http://pay.opentable.com/

donsullivan

Premium Member
Thanks, so I guess they will be using the same payment terminals that were rolled out with MM+. I was thinking maybe WDW would use this as excuse to redesign those horrible terminals.

It would be nice to see them use the same process as Open Table to pay using apple pay directly in the MM+ app for table service.

http://pay.opentable.com/

As I understand it they are using the very same terminals since it's just an RFID communication between the iPhone 6/6+ and the terminal. They just needed to update their software to support the new communication with the banks which is what allowed them to deploy it reasonably quickly.

I'll be curious once they roll it out whether they'll support other non-Apple RFID based mobile payment systems like Google Wallet since none of the back-end of this is Apple proprietary and could theoretically support other platforms as well if they chose to.

As for the table service locations (and I'm purely speculating here) since they already have a mechanism to use MagicBands at the table I would imagine it's just another software update to add support for those devices that may not be ready yet.

It will be interesting to see how much use these get in the parks. I know it will become my default payment method all the time when I'm there.

lazyboy97o

I'll be curious once they roll it out whether they'll support other non-Apple RFID based mobile payment systems like Google Wallet since none of the back-end of this is Apple proprietary and could theoretically support other platforms as well if they chose to.
That would involve Disney themselves and Disney alone writing in some sort of means of blocking anything but the iPhone. That would probably involve more access to the system than Apple currently allows.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Was at MK tonight for MVMCP and stopped by City Hall to ask about status. They said ApplePay is coming in the next few days but is not active yet

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
Still not active at Epcot last night and I heard similar from AK yesterday as well. When asked, one CM noted that they hadn't even seen anything about training they would need on how it will work so it seems we're farther away than was originally reported for the 10th.

lazyboy97o

Still not active at Epcot last night and I heard similar from AK yesterday as well. When asked, one CM noted that they hadn't even seen anything about training they would need on how it will work so it seems we're farther away than was originally reported for the 10th.
I don't think there is a need for too much training. A lot of people have reported employees being unaware that the shop (Elsewhere, not Disney) they work at accepts NFC. The employee just sends the command to the terminal and the user decides to swipe, insert or tap.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Unless someone has heard otherwise, it seems WDW is not going to meet their announced commitment to have ApplePay active by the holidays. I can't possibly imagine they would roll it out now this close the holiday given how busy they will be.

Has anyone heard anything different?

donsullivan

Premium Member
Orlando theme park news has mentioned Dec 24th.
Interesting. I'm kind of surprised that they would launch it in the middle of the busiest week of the year unless it will be out there to meet the commitment to the agreement with Apple but not actual announce it to keep usage and demand low in case they have unexpected issues. Thanks for the update.

lazyboy97o

Interesting. I'm kind of surprised that they would launch it in the middle of the busiest week of the year unless it will be out there to meet the commitment to the agreement with Apple but not actual announce it to keep usage and demand low in case they have unexpected issues. Thanks for the update.
But again, why would being busy at all matter? The biggest changes to the checkout process are on the customer side.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom