Jingle Cruise 2015??

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
First of all, allow me to officially introduce myself. I am MANEATINGWREATH (or MEW, for short), and this post marks the first time I've officially been active in the WDWMagic community in a very, VERY long time. As you can see, I have 190-something posts to my name, my profile picture from several years ago, and a very extensive history with armchair Imagineering. My line of creative work began on Sywtbai.com (formerly Visions Fantastic) back in April of 2008. Ah, the glory days of forums and armchair Imagineering. After many years involved with the highly successful So, You Want to be an Imagineer contest, several "dream resorts" of my own design, and countless "Open Brainstorming" threads (a term I conned), Sywtbai.com unfortunately fell under the wrath of advertising bots and a sudden slump in activity, presumably due to the bots. That being said, I think I'll be doing all of my creative work here from now on. So I'll do my best to make myself at home and hopefully become as much of a creative presence here as I was back on Sywtbai.com. I look forward to working with all of you. :)

As apparent by the title, this thread is all about making improvements to the Jingle Cruise, a rather oddball overlay in the sense that it...well...I don't think it works. For starters, I'm referring to Disneyland's Jungle Cruise which is normally set in the year 1933 to match nearby Indiana Jones Adventure. Despite the time period, many modern day references are made throughout the Jingle Cruise overlay, including modern Christmas lights and fuzzy sweaters, non-period-appropriate Christmas songs, and so on so forth. While the overlay is tacky in the true nature of the normal ride's jokes, it just needs some tinkering, particularly in regards to the normal ride's time period since you can't just take away the fact that a 1933-era archaeological dig is in plain sight along the waterway. Take Haunted Mansion Holiday for instance. Whilst the bright colors and weird shapes of Nightmare Before Christmas don't seem to mesh well with the realistic tone of the Haunted Mansion at first thought, the results when perfected and fleshed out to its fullest potential actually works quite well. So if the Haunted Mansion can do it, why can't the Jungle Cruise? Here are just a few general ideas to get us started...

1. A freak winter blizzard from Mt. Kilimanjaro has swept over the jungles, turning them into a tropical winter wonderland, a Blizzard Beach-type situation where leaky icebergs, dripping icicles, and blankets of snow melt and clash with the contrasting exotic environment. While all the old gags remain (albeit dressed up), new ones would be incorporated into the story, including...

- The boats dodging dangerously close ice platforms and jagged icicles in place of piranhas.
- A new indoor scene specifically designed for the overlay; a trip through a melting ice cavern utilizing brilliant projection mapping. Probably a temporary replacement for the headhunters.
- A new nighttime version of the ride utilizing special lighting and projection mapping to simulate the Northern Lights and other winter effects.
- "Snowfall."
- Various snowmen "built" by the skippers. This could allow a ton of "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" jokes.
- Schweitzer Falls is now a melting iceberg.

2. This is my least favorite idea, as it is, safe to say, extremely tacky, probably even tackier than the current overlay... Santa, yes, Santa has crashed in the jungle due to awkward reasons...a Jungle Cruise skipper, trying to scare away the hippos accidentally shot a hole in Santa's sleigh just as he was passing by, causing jolly old St. Nick to come crashing down into the wilderness. Thus, Santa, several of his elves, and all nine of his reindeer must embark on a quest through the tropics to patch up the sleigh, collect all of the scattered presents, and return to their normally scheduled Christmas flight.

3. Perhaps the most simple overlay...the Yeti, being transported by boat from Asia has accidentally escaped his containment and run loose into the jungle. Might be a bit too redundant with the Matterhorn down the street.

RMichael21

First of all, allow me to officially introduce myself. I am MANEATINGWREATH (or MEW, for short), and this post marks the first time I've officially been active in the WDWMagic community in a very, VERY long time. As you can see, I have 190-something posts to my name, my profile picture from several years ago, and a very extensive history with armchair Imagineering. My line of creative work began on Sywtbai.com (formerly Visions Fantastic) back in April of 2008. Ah, the glory days of forums and armchair Imagineering. After many years involved with the highly successful So, You Want to be an Imagineer contest, several "dream resorts" of my own design, and countless "Open Brainstorming" threads (a term I conned), Sywtbai.com unfortunately fell under the wrath of advertising bots and a sudden slump in activity, presumably due to the bots. That being said, I think I'll be doing all of my creative work here from now on. So I'll do my best to make myself at home and hopefully become as much of a creative presence here as I was back on Sywtbai.com. I look forward to working with all of you. :)

As apparent by the title, this thread is all about making improvements to the Jingle Cruise, a rather oddball overlay in the sense that it...well...I don't think it works. For starters, I'm referring to Disneyland's Jungle Cruise which is normally set in the year 1933 to match nearby Indiana Jones Adventure. Despite the time period, many modern day references are made throughout the Jingle Cruise overlay, including modern Christmas lights and fuzzy sweaters, non-period-appropriate Christmas songs, and so on so forth. While the overlay is tacky in the true nature of the normal ride's jokes, it just needs some tinkering, particularly in regards to the normal ride's time period since you can't just take away the fact that a 1933-era archaeological dig is in plain sight along the waterway. Take Haunted Mansion Holiday for instance. Whilst the bright colors and weird shapes of Nightmare Before Christmas don't seem to mesh well with the realistic tone of the Haunted Mansion at first thought, the results when perfected and fleshed out to its fullest potential actually works quite well. So if the Haunted Mansion can do it, why can't the Jungle Cruise? Here are just a few general ideas to get us started...

1. A freak winter blizzard from Mt. Kilimanjaro has swept over the jungles, turning them into a tropical winter wonderland, a Blizzard Beach-type situation where leaky icebergs, dripping icicles, and blankets of snow melt and clash with the contrasting exotic environment. While all the old gags remain (albeit dressed up), new ones would be incorporated into the story, including...

- The boats dodging dangerously close ice platforms and jagged icicles in place of piranhas.
- A new indoor scene specifically designed for the overlay; a trip through a melting ice cavern utilizing brilliant projection mapping. Probably a temporary replacement for the headhunters.
- A new nighttime version of the ride utilizing special lighting and projection mapping to simulate the Northern Lights and other winter effects.
- "Snowfall."
- Various snowmen "built" by the skippers. This could allow a ton of "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" jokes.

2. This is my least favorite idea, as it is, safe to say, extremely tacky, probably even tackier than the current overlay... Santa, yes, Santa has crashed in the jungle due to awkward reasons...a Jungle Cruise skipper, trying to scare away the hippos accidentally shot a hole in Santa's sleigh just as he was passing by, causing jolly old St. Nick to come crashing down into the wilderness. Thus, Santa, several of his elves, and all nine of his reindeer must embark on a quest through the tropics to patch up the sleigh, collect all of the scattered presents, and return to their normally scheduled Christmas flight.

3. Perhaps the most simple overlay...the Yeti, being transported by boat from Asia has accidentally escaped his containment and run loose into the jungle. Might be a bit too redundant with the Matterhorn down the street.
Welcome back to WDWMagic! You'll fit right in! I'm excited to see what everyone comes up with, as I agree that the Jingle Cruise is a little too tacky.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Welcome back to WDWMagic! You'll fit right in! I'm excited to see what everyone comes up with, as I agree that the Jingle Cruise is a little too tacky.

- "Snowfall."

I would say that they stepped up the quality of the Jingle Cruise this year. The changes seemed to be more abundant this year and the script is better. This being said, just like the Jungle Cruise the host makes or break the ride. I have been on many times with a crappy host, and I have been on with wonderful host.

I would agree that it would be cool to have snow and ice in the ride. Alot of this could be down with lights, maybe run Jungle Cruise during the day and Jingle Cruise at night even.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
In regards to the script, this year's script is fantastic. And I do admit, the use of fruitcakes as a running gag is quite Jungle Cruise appropriate. If the decorations weren't so tacky, I'd be a lot more lenient with the overlay. A special nighttime version of the Jingle Cruise would be perfect now that you mention it. However, it'd be far too tricky to put up a bunch of decorations within the time the sun sets to pitch black, so it'd have to be the overlay day and night, even if the night one was better.

Voxel

In regards to the script, this year's script is fantastic. And I do admit, the use of fruitcakes as a running gag is quite Jungle Cruise appropriate. If the decorations weren't so tacky, I'd be a lot more lenient with the overlay. A special nighttime version of the Jingle Cruise would be perfect now that you mention it. However, it'd be far too tricky to put up a bunch of decorations within the time the sun sets to pitch black, so it'd have to be the overlay day and night, even if the night one was better.
I am suggestion not using cheap present and what not. I am saying using Christmas lights and what not to make the attraction look frozen along with snow and fog machines. It's cheap, but would be amazing at night.

RMichael21

I am suggestion not using cheap present and what not. I am saying using Christmas lights and what not to make the attraction look frozen along with snow and fog machines. It's cheap, but would be amazing at night.
I guarantee that if Disney did that, they would shoehorn in Anna and Elsa along with Elsa's ice palace. :rolleyes:

tcool

I guarantee that if Disney did that, they would shoehorn in Anna and Elsa along with Elsa's ice palace. :rolleyes:
And Olaf! :D
tumblr_mzzprmVtxZ1t06k0mo1_400.gif

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I like Frozen as much as the next guy, but can you imagine how horrendous a crossover with the Jungle Cruise would be? "Over there is Trader Oaken, head salesman here in the jungle." "Yoohoo! Shrunken head blowout!"

The current Jingle Cruise (Disneyland's) does have some aspects that work, but not all of them. That's why we essentially need to design an overlay that makes the holiday aspect consistent and tasteful, even if the Jungle Cruise is known for being tacky. Here's what I currently think doesn't work with the Jingle Cruise...

- The Elephant Bathing Pool...they're wearing wreathes around their necks...no.
- The Bull Elephants are decorated, that's just weird.
- The Lost Safari...obviously the giant totem pole is the perfect setting for a Christmas Tree, but honestly, the overlay is supposed to be themed to a shipment of holiday decorations being lost and scattered throughout the jungle. There is no way they landed perfectly on top of the pole and turned it into a tree.
- Headhunter Country works in regards to the phonograph playing music and the fruitcakes in place of shields, but the ugly sweaters and lights? How is that possible? Maybe have some sweaters floating in the waters near the canoe full of skulls, symbolizing some unlucky holiday travelers.
- Trader Sam should be selling shrunken heads, not bottles of New Years champagne. How did a headhunter get champagne? Haha.

TheOriginalTiki

The "Jingle Cruise" concept intrigues me because of how unorthodox it is. It's a tricky overlay to pull off correctly because you're either left with not enough decorations (last year) or somewhat of an abundance of tacky looking stuff (this year). It's obvious that Disney believes in the concept but are having a hard time figuring out exactly what to do with it.

I personally like the idea of the skippers putting decorations up around the jungle as long as it's not too overbearing/tacky looking. A big appeal of the Jungle Cruise is the different personalities that the skippers provide. I think working in being homesick/wanting to celebrate the holidays is a crucial part of any Jingle Cruise. I think it'd be kind of interesting to see the decorations have an adverse affect on the jungle, like lights being tangled up in trees and what-not. I also really like MEW's idea of a blizzard. If Blizard Beach can pull off a whole park based on the concept of snow in a tropical setting I don't see why we couldn't do it for an overlay. This would add a much needed layer of visual draw apart from decorations and would also allow for a ton of story possibilities regarding how both the skippers and animals are dealing with the freak snow storm. Also...where the hell is our elephant wearing the giant Santa hat like we were promised in the first poster?? Haha, as tacky as it is I'd love to see Disney go all out on the cheese factor and do over the top stuff like that.

Voxel

The "Jingle Cruise" concept intrigues me because of how unorthodox it is. It's a tricky overlay to pull off correctly because you're either left with not enough decorations (last year) or somewhat of an abundance of tacky looking stuff (this year). It's obvious that Disney believes in the concept but are having a hard time figuring out exactly what to do with it.

I personally like the idea of the skippers putting decorations up around the jungle as long as it's not too overbearing/tacky looking. A big appeal of the Jungle Cruise is the different personalities that the skippers provide. I think working in being homesick/wanting to celebrate the holidays is a crucial part of any Jingle Cruise. I think it'd be kind of interesting to see the decorations have an adverse affect on the jungle, like lights being tangled up in trees and what-not. I also really like MEW's idea of a blizzard. If Blizard Beach can pull off a whole park based on the concept of snow in a tropical setting I don't see why we couldn't do it for an overlay. This would add a much needed layer of visual draw apart from decorations and would also allow for a ton of story possibilities regarding how both the skippers and animals are dealing with the freak snow storm. Also...where the hell is our elephant wearing the giant Santa hat like we were promised in the first poster?? Haha, as tacky as it is I'd love to see Disney go all out on the cheese factor and do over the top stuff like that.
The ideal way would be to close down the attraction for a few days, however Disney World doesn't experience the same weekday lull that Disneyland does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom