Be Careful -- Pin Numbers

surfsupdon

Original Poster
Just a word of warning folks. From experience.

At some venues, Cast Members are told to "over ride" Guests inputting their pin if a MB is used. Particularly at very busy times, to help speed up lines. I asked to speak with a manager, and he confirmed that, yes, they can use the MB and not have a Guest input their pin number.

So do not lose your MagicBands. (Contrary, each and EVERY time I use my credit card at WDW, I am asked for my ID.)

I did not have to input my pin for breakfast times at Beach Club Marketplace, BoardWalk Bakery, for lunch at ESPN Club, and for shopping during the Wine&Dine Half Marathon official race merchandise tent, as well as at Casey's Corner for a 1am corndog bite snack. Haha

Tom

Beta Return
Something's amiss, because it's a violation of PCI-DSS to not require the pin, since they are storing complete credit card and personal information on their servers.

For them to blanketly turn off the PIN feature is an extreme disregard for security and privacy. It doesn't make sense that they do it to "save time". It takes mere seconds to enter a 4-digit number, whether paying at a TS restaurant, or checking in at the resort.

I'm not doubting you, but I'm doubting the way it was explained....and I'm doubting that it really is policy that they can do this.

surfsupdon

Original Poster
Something's amiss, because it's a violation of PCI-DSS to not require the pin, since they are storing complete credit card and personal information on their servers.

For them to blanketly turn off the PIN feature is an extreme disregard for security and privacy. It doesn't make sense that they do it to "save time". It takes mere seconds to enter a 4-digit number, whether paying at a TS restaurant, or checking in at the resort.

I'm not doubting you, but I'm doubting the way it was explained....and I'm doubting that it really is policy that they can do this.

I concur. I spoke with the manager at Beach Club Marketplace, and he said when they are super busy (we know the inadequacies of counter service at YC/BC) that they can forego asking for pins.

So I went right to the front desk and left a concern for management.

I kid you not -- I was not asked for a pin at each place I mentioned in my original post.

StarWarsGirl

Magic Bands can be deactivated. If you lose your MB, it's a good idea to deactivate it anyway, but I've now used MBs for three trips, and before that had a trip using RFID cards with touch to pay, and have never had them override the PIN. It has always been required.

Tom

Beta Return
I concur. I spoke with the manager at Beach Club Marketplace, and he said when they are super busy (we know the inadequacies of counter service at YC/BC) that they can forego asking for pins.

So I went right to the front desk and left a concern for management.

I kid you not -- I was not asked for a pin at each place I mentioned in my original post.

That is completely insane. You should serious write a detailed and professional letter to Guest Relations, and request an explanation on why they believe they can do with. It exposes guests to a huge security vulnerability, which is the last thing Disney or its guests want these days.

Innkeeper's Club

Among the locations you mentioned I have used and paid with my MagicBand multiple times at the ESPN Club and Boardwalk Bakery during my two previous trips in December 2013 and August 2014. Plus each time they asked for my pin number. I'm not saying your story is not true, I just find it hard to believe. For example at the ESPN Club and any Table Service restaurant, your server is supposed to bring you that machine where they scan your MagicBand and after that you put in your pin number. So I'm not sure how they override the system to not ask for the pin number?

Last edited:

Victor Kelly

This does not inspire me with confidence in the system or those operating the system. Should this not be a item that cannot be overridden without direct managerial manual input?

Tom

Beta Return
Among the locations you mentioned I have used and paid with my MagicBand multiple times at the ESPN Club and Boardwalk Bakery during my two previous trips in December 2013 and August 2014. Plus each time they asked for my pin number. I'm not saying your story is not true, I just find it hard to believe. For example at the ESPN Club and any Table Service restaurant, your server is supposed to bring you that machine where they scan your MagicBand and after that you put in your pin number. So I'm not sure how they override the system to not ask for the pin number?

I agree. I'd like to request the OP provide a detailed step by step description of each transaction, so we can pinpoint the inconsistency.

Something doesn't add up. They certainly don't have the power to override the pin step, so I'm thinking it was a global system failure.

surfsupdon

Original Poster
I agree. I'd like to request the OP provide a detailed step by step description of each transaction, so we can pinpoint the inconsistency.

Something doesn't add up. They certainly don't have the power to override the pin step, so I'm thinking it was a global system failure.

I remember the circumstances because I DID write a detailed letter)

At Beach Club Marketplace, before 8am, I went to the large circle counter to pay for my breakfast. It was 11/6. The line was long enough that they had a CM directing people to different computers, to help with Guest flow. I went to the counter, Shiela rang me up, I scanned my band, the receipt printed, I asked her why no pin, she said when it's busy we do not have to ask for them, so I asked to speak to the manager. This guy gave me a very round about explanation of speeding up lines. I explained how that is not safe from a Guest standpoint. He said that you do not have to use a MB, and to use a credit card if I feel that is safer.

For lunch at Beach Club Mktplace, I had to use my pin. For breakfast the following day, 11/7, I did not.

Mouse_Trap

Just a word of warning folks. From experience.

At some venues, Cast Members are told to "over ride" Guests inputting their pin if a MB is used. Particularly at very busy times, to help speed up lines. I asked to speak with a manager, and he confirmed that, yes, they can use the MB and not have a Guest input their pin number.

So do not lose your MagicBands. (Contrary, each and EVERY time I use my credit card at WDW, I am asked for my ID.)

I did not have to input my pin for breakfast times at Beach Club Marketplace, BoardWalk Bakery, for lunch at ESPN Club, and for shopping during the Wine&Dine Half Marathon official race merchandise tent, as well as at Casey's Corner for a 1am corndog bite snack. Haha

Is it only being deactivated for low value purchases? If so, I don't really see a big deal with this.

Here in the UK we have had contactless built into many credit and debit cards for many years - I've had at one for at least 4-5 years now. It can be used for low value transactions, currently £20 or less ($32). If you use it repeatedly then you will get prompted for your pin number. If it's lost then you report it immediately and its cancelled.

Even though entering a pin only takes seconds, surprisingly not needing one speeds up a line significantly.

Tom

Beta Return
Is it only being deactivated for low value purchases? If so, I don't really see a big deal with this.

Here in the UK we have had contactless built into many credit and debit cards for many years - I've had at one for at least 4-5 years now. It can be used for low value transactions, currently £20 or less ($32). If you use it repeatedly then you will get prompted for your pin number. If it's lost then you report it immediately and its cancelled.

Even though entering a pin only takes seconds, surprisingly not needing one speeds up a line significantly.

The problem is that Disney is storing your full CC number in their system. So by removing the pin, you give the possessor of the band full charging privileges.

Have we determined that it was deactivated for only $20 and under purchases?

WhatJaneSays

I just got back from a short WDW trip so this was my experience with the bands. We had the dining plan and charged things to the room and also I talked for a good while with a manager that seemed fairly knowledgeable about the system. Apparently this is how band charges go:

If you add a credit card to your account that gets associated to your room/reservation. So I tap my band at MK and “charge” some Mickey ears. Those ears get “charged” to my room. And so on for everything I “buy” with the band on the whole trip. (Up to a point, there is a room limit and once you hit that you have to pay down your balance before you can “charge” anything else.) When you check out you get a final bill and your credit card gets charged at that time for all the things you “charged” during your trip.

There’s no credit card information associated to your band, it’s only connected to your room. If someone calls or goes to report a band lost or stolen they ask if you’ve charged anything/what was the last thing you charged. Plus when you get your final bill if there are any iffty things on your account they can fix it before it ever hits your credit card. The system can have connection issues and there are times it can’t validate PINs but the system asks/doesn’t ask automatically, there’s not really an override but it could be done.

This particular manager said that he knew of about 20-30 ish incidents at his hotel that guests felt they got mischarged for something and almost every time it’s turned out to be the guest’s spouse/kid/grandparent/whoever that made the charge.

I feel that for the few times it’s a real fraudulent charge … well, they know exactly when and where the charge was made and there are cameras everywhere.

dreamfinder

I believe Disney originally started off by the magic bans not using a pin for small amount purchases. There was some sort of problem so they start asking for pins every time.

I remember this as well. Our first trip we had to set a PIN, but I think I only had to enter it once or twice when we did big purchases. Much like how many chain stores aren't requiring you to sign if a credit card transaction is under $25.

Victor Kelly

So, when do you set up your pin# ? We had considered putting our card on the magic bands just for leaving tips at restaurants because we have the dining plan.

Tuvalu

So, when do you set up your pin# ? We had considered putting our card on the magic bands just for leaving tips at restaurants because we have the dining plan.
You can set your PIN during the online check in process or you can wait and set it when you arrive to check in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom