Do I take the car or bus to Downtown Disney?

Innkeeper's Club

Original Poster
This past August when I was at WDW I took the bus whenever I went to Downtown Disney because off all the construction happening around there and it's what everyone I spoke to recommended, along with seeing that message on the Walt Disney World Today channel. Anyway I'm leaving for WDW next Friday and I was wondering with the parking garage opening earlier this month, should I consider taking the car since I'm driving to WDW if that's made it a lot easier for parking or should I stick with the bus?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Anyway I'm leaving for WDW next Friday and I was wondering with the parking garage opening earlier this month, should I consider taking the car since I'm driving to WDW if that's made it a lot easier for parking or should I stick with the bus?

Garage means parking is there.. but its still a construction mess in the area. And the garage is all the way down by Cirque..

disney4life2008

Agreed. The area is still under heavy construction and although it did open up new parking spaces the area is still a cluster. If it were me, I'd take the bus from your resort.:)

I second take the bus. If I recall - the marketplace bus is closest to World of Disney (if it still there) whereas if you drive - you have to look for a space and walk a good distance to get to any location.

Jakester

Take the bus from a Disney Resort. That's your best bet, unless you wanna play with traffic.. I've only visited Downtown Disney only once since april, refuse to deal with traffic.

JohnD

Bus, unless your staying at POR or POFQ then you have the option of a boat. It takes you to Marketplace only, same location as the bus. You can change boats to get to the West Side, though.

TXDisney

Honestly if your in a hurry or don't like waiting if do a cab. Cheap and fast. Getting to downtown disney is not bad from a park or hotel but back to a resort or park can be a pain.

WhatJaneSays

It’s really going to depend on what exactly you want to do at DTD. If you’re going during the day to shop on the Marketplace side only the bus works out well provided you’re not trying to tote a 100 lbs of bags. If you’re looking to shop on the West Side or take in evening things there you might want to drive. The boat that goes from Marketplace to West Side is slightly hit-or-miss as to its busyness; I imagine that with holiday shopping it is quite a bit busier now than it regularly is.

There is also a little bit of consideration of what resort you’re coming from. If you’re heading over from one of the All Stars or AK Lodge … you might as well just drive some days.

Quick note on the West Side parking situation:
If you come in the morning or afternoon you’re likely to be directed to park in the lot behind Cirque, but come later and they’ll have you park in the garage. (Garage could be any time of day now but it’s mostly been after 3-5pm so far.)

I personally have few issues with parking at DTD with the construction, however I live locally so I kind of know the pattern of where to park.

thomas998

Agreed. The area is still under heavy construction and although it did open up new parking spaces the area is still a cluster. If it were me, I'd take the bus from your resort.:)

I'll be the odd man out. Take your car. We were there in October and although the construction was still there we parked without a problem and were able to get there and back to our resort in less than half the time it would have taken if we had used the bus. The only time I would skip the car is if I were at resort that offered the water taxi... and only because I enjoy the peace of riding on a boat... not because it would necessarily be faster than simply driving.

Goofyernmost

I'll be the odd man out. Take your car. We were there in October and although the construction was still there we parked without a problem and were able to get there and back to our resort in less than half the time it would have taken if we had used the bus. The only time I would skip the car is if I were at resort that offered the water taxi... and only because I enjoy the peace of riding on a boat... not because it would necessarily be faster than simply driving.
Believe me, I am a total advocate of using my own vehicle around Disney, however, last year I tried to go to DtD in the early evening, and ended up just going back to the hotel. It was raining and I didn't know where I was supposed to go, what entrance, where I was supposed to park and I never did find out. Now I know it should be easier now that part of the garage is done, but, I still think that if you have never been there since the construction started it will be a very confusing and frustrating experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom