TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Kiddies - everything doesn't have to be for them. Does the witch or the alien scare them? There are other attractions for them to enjoy. Perhaps not yet in DHS, but once the carny rides come....
My kids (3 and 6 at the time) loved GMR. I didn't think they would, but you never know what kids will like. The 3 year old loved GMR and Indy but was lukewarm to TSMM. There is no need for everything to be toons for kids to like it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The preshow should have him explaning the the movies to help guests better understand. How is that a bad thing?

I point you to the dumbed down Hench narration in SSE as an example of how it can make things worse. It doesn't mean it is by default, but spoon feeding isn't always the best approach.

Honestly I don't even remember the last time I saw the pre-show. We're lamenting that loss?

You don't see it because there is no queuing demand.. if that were to change.. you'd want a good preshow again. Don't you see the flaw in your statement?

BrerJon

My kids (3 and 6 at the time) loved GMR. I didn't think they would, but you never know what kids will like. The 3 year old loved GMR and Indy but was lukewarm to TSMM. There is no need for everything to be toons for kids to like it.

I wish the imagineers realised this - unfortunately too many attractions nowadays talk down to kids and patronise them, but the fact is most kids are far smarter than adults realise, and will often appreciate things that are a little bit more complex than what they're normally challenged with.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Based on reading responses here (and the front page article - wouldn't load for me yesterday).

IMHO, having Robert at the preshow is going to be a downgrade - I believe the trailers speak for themselves. If the 'continuous loop' of the preshow goes away (and you have to wait outside the 'theatre' to watch a lesser preshow in full), the downgrade is much, much, more pronounced. (Disturbing the preshow could more than offset the good that TCM will bring to content in the finale).

Kiddies - everything doesn't have to be for them. Does the witch or the alien scare them? There are other attractions for them to enjoy. Perhaps not yet in DHS, but once the carny rides come....

'But the new generation doesn't relate to old films' - So? TCM makes it even more about classics (and minimizes the need to 'update' w/ new things). And that is a good thing...

Musicals - are an important part of Hollywood. And if you think of all the Mouse's animated classics, a good many (a majority perhaps?) are animated MUSICALS. So in effect, a good percentage of the parkgoing public are fans of musicals...

Fantasia - can that realistically be replaced with animatronics (what's behind that wall?)...

The trailers do speak for themselves. Why? Because, they are explained (if you were unaware of them) in the ride itself. Thereby creating a "discovery" story arch, even if you aren't familiar with the films during the pre-show.

They first show you what it was like to anticipate those movies, and then educate you / immerse you in them in the ride.

This does not need to be changed.

Certain scenes plussed and updated? Yes. The CM Spiel and Story Arch, most certainly (especially the lackluster switch at the end that I haven't seen done well in a VERY long time, and have heard guests grumble as they figure it out too quickly...the sense of "wonder" about that transition is long gone)...

But, the overarching "story" the ride as a whole tells? No...it's fine the way it is.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wish the imagineers realised this - unfortunately too many attractions nowadays talk down to kids and patronise them, but the fact is most kids are far smarter than adults realise, and will often appreciate things that are a little bit more complex than what they're normally challenged with.
When we got home my kids demanded to watch The Wizard of Oz and an Indiana Jones movie. They hadn't seen either before. They got a kick out of the gangster scene and the rest of the ride kept asking if every AA was a real person. The blending of AAs with live actors is what makes the ride more interesting and fun to me. I hope they keep the CM interaction with this refurb.

Kman101

Can I remind folks it's the GREAT Movie Ride, not the Current Blockbusters You Think You Like Movie Ride. Classics are classics for a reason. So on that end, because Mickey Mouse is 85+ how about we get rid of him. He's old. That automatically makes him outdated, right? No. No it doesn't.

(Not at all saying everyone has to love the movies in the ride)

WDWFigment/Disney Tourist Blog has a fantastic post up about TCM taking over the ride. IMO, everyone should read it.

Next Big Thing

Nothing wrong with this at all ... actually sounds quite promising. Now hopefully they can make the Alien scene more scary we would be onto a winner.
The Alien scene is the least of this ride's problems (aside from the lackluster Sigourney Weaver animatronic).

The ride could use an overall refresh, with all-new state-of-the-art animatronics included, replacing the old, limited movement AAs.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I have to say that's the first time someone on a forum uploaded a video just for me! I'm flattered! :happy:
200.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom