James Cameron comments on the Avatar sequels.

Brad Bishop

I think he thinks he has a Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or Harry Potter type franchise on his hands where all he has to do is to keep making Avatar movies and people will keep coming.

People went for the spectacular 3D effects which, up until Avatar, always came and went with Hollywood but Avatar got them dead on.

What he actually has is a keen eye for doing 3D effects really well that were used in a mediocre movie.

Your average person on the street:
- couldn't tell you the names of any of the characters in Avatar (though they'd probably recognize the blue people)
- wouldn't recognize the soundtrack

These are all things that they could tell you for the above-mentioned franchises and they were eager to see what happened next to Luke, Leia, Indy, Harry, Ron, etc.

I don't think people will go back in droves to see the next Avatar any more than his prediction of all movies and all TV will be 3D in 5-10 years (or whatever he said - basically it was everything was going 3D - it did as a fad and that fad is mostly dead).

Figment2005

Is there a Ferngully 2 and 3 to copy?
I will admit that Avatar definitely treads quite closely or even on top of Pocahontas and Ferngully, but these sequels will allow Cameron to come up with a unique story, or at least hopefully so. If that is the case, then it could be a possibility that the first movie got people interested, and the second is sinking the hook.

NoChesterHester

Cameron's track record is pretty stellar. His two sequels are my favorite movies of each series (Aliens + T2). I just won't be the one beating the drum of his imminent failure when all he seems to do is defy expectations and crush box offices.

Brad Bishop

One thing that I thought of:

Avatarland is in a really crappy section of AK. Meaning, if it's not something that is going to draw you to it because you seek it out, which I doubt will be a problem in the first few months or years for it just out of curiosity, it'll be forgotten.

Think about all the times you passed by the path to Camp Minnie Mickey without a second thought or even wondering, "What's back there?"

That problem doesn't have anything to do with Avatar, it's just a "dead space" problem parks can get. Places inside parks where people rarely venture. I think the Wonders of Life Pavilion suffered from it at Epcot and the Living Seas also suffers from it.

I remember Drachen Fire at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. A buddy and I went to ride it soon after it opened. I knew the park layout as I used to live somewhat close to the park and would often visit it. We were seeking out Drachen Fire and, oddly, we had to "find" it. It wasn't anything obvious but kind of weirdly tucked away in a seldom used corner. Both of us thought it was a really odd placement.

Whether it were Avatarland or the original Beastly Kingdom area, I think the same problem would exist. If anything Avatarland will likely have a greater draw so it, in my head, is less likely to suffer from it. Still, I think it's a problem.

flyerjab

Cameron's track record is pretty stellar. His two sequels are my favorite movies of each series (Aliens + T2). I just won't be the one beating the drum of his imminent failure when all he seems to do is defy expectations and crush box offices.

I never thought about that before. He does have an excellent record with sequels. The other factor that might help is that he is not the only one scripting the sequels.

flyerjab

Avatarland is in a really crappy section of AK. Meaning, if it's not something that is going to draw you to it because you seek it out, which I doubt will be a problem in the first few months or years for it just out of curiosity, it'll be forgotten.

Think about all the times you passed by the path to Camp Minnie Mickey without a second thought or even wondering, "What's back there?"

That problem doesn't have anything to do with Avatar, it's just a "dead space" problem parks can get. Places inside parks where people rarely venture. I think the Wonders of Life Pavilion suffered from it at Epcot and the Living Seas also suffers from it.

I remember Drachen Fire at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. A buddy and I went to ride it soon after it opened. I knew the park layout as I used to live somewhat close to the park and would often visit it. We were seeking out Drachen Fire and, oddly, we had to "find" it. It wasn't anything obvious but kind of weirdly tucked away in a seldom used corner. Both of us thought it was a really odd placement.

Whether it were Avatarland or the original Beastly Kingdom area, I think the same problem would exist. If anything Avatarland will likely have a greater draw so it, in my head, is less likely to suffer from it. Still, I think it's a problem.

I think that the one thing that this expansion has going for it are the floating mountains. I think that those things will draw people into that section like moths to a flame (especially at night).

danlb_2000

Premium Member

One thing that will help is that the land will have two entrances, the existing one and a new one from Africa.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom