Disney World (especially MK) skewered on David Letterman last night

prberk

Original Poster
Did anyone see Adam Resnick's "literary reading" last night on David Letterman concerning his trip to Disney World? It was crazy funny, but the best thing I think for people like us here was that it was knowledgable; and like any good humor, it had some rings of truth -- some very stinging. He even brought up a Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party -- in a place that reminded him more of a "seventies high school cafeteria" than of a vision of the future. He also joked about wanting to cut off his magic band (which he called a wrist band or something). And I loved the part about a family moving away from him when he noted that Tinkerbell seemed to need a shave when "she" passed overhead on her guidewire. He did say that by the end of the fireworks the "Disney magic" did get to him, but it was funny and the rest of it clearly not from the perspective of a pixie-duster.

Interesting stuff. I found a link this morning:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/late_show/...ading-by-writer-adam-resnick-david-letterman/

What did you all think?

Last edited:

FigmentFreak

Did anyone see Adam Resnick's "literary reading" last night on David Letterman concerning his trip to Disney World? It was crazy funny, but the best thing I think for people like us here was that it knowledgable; and like any good humor, it had some rings of truth -- some very stinging. He even brought up a Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party -- in a place that reminded him more of a "seventies high school cafeteria" than of a vision of the future. He also joked about wanting to cut off his magic band (which he called a wrist band or something). And I loved the part about a family moving away from him when he noted that Tinkerbell seemed to need a shave when "she" passed overhead on her guidewire. He did say that by the end of the fireworks the "Disney magic" did get to him, but it was funny and the rest of it clearly not from the perspective of a pixie-duster.

Interesting stuff. I found a link this morning:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/late_show/...ading-by-writer-adam-resnick-david-letterman/

What did you all think?

Had me laughing like a lunatic. He outed flying Tink as a dude on National Television.

Seabasealpha1

Meh.

Tomorrowland's skewering was about the most accurate thing I could find in it...I'd say that if I could find a hacksaw, I'd have hacked my co-axial cable in half and stopped watching letterman after that part...

Whatever. I'm cynical too...lol

prberk

Original Poster
You know, one thing that this and the other comedians' references to WDW do tell me is that the WDW stuff that I once considered "insider" or "fan" stuff (like the dessert party and the specific names of attractions beyond the most classic) is no longer "insider." It tells me that the WDW culture is now well-known to the general public much more than when I was younger. I used to have to explain FastPass and that there were four parks, on-property hotels, etc. Now WDW is so well known that even the most formerly fan-boy stuff is known to the general public.

In some ways that is cool and good for the company. In other ways it raises the bar, I think, a lot -- so that they can continue to be fresh, and a lot to be judged on by perception meeting reality. I also think that bar is raised even more -- and the opening for criticism and comedy widened -- by the huge price tag. Comedians have been joking about the huge vacuum onto your wallet it is for a long time. Just seems like they have more actual knowledge of WDW by the public to work with now. So, it seems to me that the public as a whole knows WDW more than ever before -- which can a double-edged sword for Disney.

Just a thought.

epcotisbest

I'm not saying this from a Disney fan perspective, but this was ridiculously stupid and unfunny, and I'm not being biased, because I find Jimmy Fallon's jokes against Disney hilarious.

This is quite honestly one of the worst stand-up routines I've ever seen.
It was not a stand up routine. Are you familiar with satire? He is a writer.

Victor Kelly

Oh Please. I love Disney more than most people and there are plenty of bad things I can say about Disney. Most of what he said was spot on. Just because you don't want to hear it, doesn't mean its not true.

skippy. I thought is was funny, and I laughed all the way through it. But then again, I have an offbeat sense of humor, I don't take myself seriously, and I am not a pixie dust sniffer.

I enjoy Disney for what it is, a brief getaway from normal life while being entertained. I think more satire such as this should be written.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom