TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

Baldy

I think you win Baldy for best avatar, too cute. :)
Thanks.
When I lost my hair during Cancer treatments, my son decided to (affectionately) call me Baldy. He was in kindergarten at the time. We used it as my screen name when we played video games together. We celebrated the end of treatments with our first trip to Disney. I'm also a big Snow White fan, so this seemed fitting.

* I have lots of hair now, but the nickname kind of stuck - better than being called hairy I suppose

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I see this complaint a lot, but I personally have only once ever gotten a CM that wasn't a good spieler. Frequently, however, the onboard speakers are too quiet and/or cut out, so it might seem like the CM isn't enthusiastic.
I'm pretty sure I've had bad luck. Maybe I've got a too much of that old blind pixie dust in my veins, but I can't imagine Disney letting terrible CMs run one of their attractions with speaking parts like this. I've always had Jungle Cruise CMs that gave a $%#* even when everyone else is ignoring them, so I do think I probably have just hit a few off cycles on GMR. But, maybe even if they rework the script a touch it'll help breath new life back into the ride, and engage the CMs more.
The last one I had mumbled, had a thick accent, and put as little effort in as possible. That's gotta be the exception to the rule.

Stevek

Sounds pretty awesome to me. While it appears that there are no changes, maybe this is the first step toward something happening with show scenes down the line. At the very least, the ride is likely to get a very nice refurbishment where everything is operating.

Acolli18

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I saw some where that they may possibly change scenes further down the road, in a few years.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
They don't need to throw in Titanic or Frozen to make the ride relevant. I get the whole "it needs to be relevant" but they are. Indiana Jones, Alien, Wizard of Oz ... they are relevant. It's just people wanting to see something new in the ride, which I understand.

Why does everything need to be Disneyfied or "modern"? This is how those movies REMAIN relevant. Sorry if a guest doesn't want to educate themselves on the movies in the ride.
For me, it is more of "time for something new" than a dissatisfaction with anything that is there, except the Fantasia scene, which is essentially nothing.

Add some brooms and water effects to the Fantasia scene. Turn the swinging Tarzan into Luke and Leia swinging from platform to platform on the Death Star. Replace the vague horror show section with something. Adding Titanic would be fine with me as well. It is a classic by now.

If it were me (and it isn't), I'd shoot for replacing or significantly upgrading about 25% or so.

Marc Gil

How exciting!

Disney couldn't have chosen a better sponser. Seriously! TCM knows their stuff.

I hope to see some rare Disney specials from the 1960s like Escapade in Florence or The Horsemasters on TCM.

I'm so glad this is happening to GMR, but am I the only one thinking about the TCM Cruises on the Disney Liners?

tigger1968

This is very cool news all around. I like the timing as well. Plus this seems to be some confirmation that GMR is staying put for a while. I honestly wasn't aware of an existing relationship between the two companies, but this seems like a really great sponsorship and partnership for everyone.

Ignohippo

Great sponsor, but I find the ride to be a complete snoozefest.

I like classic movies but, for me at least, the ones they've included are too obscure and the implementation is cheesy and cheap.

I'd love to see them, at the very least, add large screens in the background showing clips of the movies themselves and up the animatronic quality. Swapping out some of the more obscure scenes for something more relevant (doesn't mean current) is a necessity IMO. A

nd no, unless you were going Disney the whole way, I wouldn't add any Disney or Marvel to it (although Lone Ranger, Tron and Mary Poppins would make some great scenes!).

And, while I love the movie, the Alien scene has got to go or be changed to be not as scary for little ones. A cool battle scene between Ripley and the aliens from Aliens 2 (Aliens) would be a great replacement.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Please PLEASE redo some of the show scenes now and not just the queue and end of ride video. sigh

I guess its a start anyways but this ride has so much potential and sticking to older movie classics that many haven't ever seen or heard of is....well....ok for the theme and all but I just think they are missing out on what could be huge.

Take disney movies. Classic to modern and build show scenes around them especially some without attractions in the parks already. Family and kids would love it and it is disney after all with one mans dream right behind it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom