What did you do?

a2grafix

Less than 24 hours after my 7 mile taper run I ran the Break A Leg 5K off Beale Street that started and finished at the Orpheum Theatre. After a nice, warm day Saturday, Sunday morning was met with rain. Lots of rain. Still in the mid-60s. The race started at 2pm and I kid you not the rain stopped enough to get the run in and when the last walker finished it started to rain again during and after the awards after party. The theme of this race was A Christmas Story, which is performing Thanksgiving week. Runners were encouraged to dress in holiday attire and from the movie. Yes there were a handful of pink bunnies and one-legged lamp shade tutus. There were even Black Bart's gang and two of Santa's elves.

2014-11-23_14-00-30_809.jpg

2014-11-23_14-42-16_62.jpg

2014-11-23_15-06-53_177.jpg

So, I finished 3rd place in the 40-44 age group, unexpectedly. Wasn't feeling it after running 7 miles Saturday and I had a pain in my butt (IT band stuff). I admit I stopped a few times on the route. During the first mile the humidity hit and my breathing was off. Finished in 33:32.9 for a 10:49 split. Was out for a Sunday funday run. Nothing big. Pleasantly surprised. Didn't know I won. I was talking to a lot of runners in the next room and didn't hear my name called. Oh, the leg lamp trophy was for first placers only. Pretty cool, though.

1780143_10152823456002708_6251480357459432839_o.jpg

dreamfinder

A few more days of not much. Think I did 2 1/2 Fri, and then a "Mystery Run Day Sunday" (TM and Patent pending). Had 45 mins, I could have either taken a nap, or gone for a run, so I went for a run. Watchless and GPS less so I have no clue. Did 2 1/4 today, 6:58 pace and 1 incline. Taking what I can get.

@a2grafix That leg trophy would have been a sweet piece of bling.

lukacseven

Ran the Philly half marathon yesterday...Actually very nice weather - cold at start, but really good conditions. This was my 7th year (5th half + 2 marathons) running this event and probably one of the best. Gore-TEX had a huge presence at the Expo and race. The race itself did not use a wave start, although it included over 30k entries and combined the half and full into the same start. I don't recall this race ever being so congested throughout. I had no time goal, so I actually enjoyed running in a more dense group than having the pack thin out too much. Definitely the best course of all the Philly races. Run past a lot of the famous landmarks and much more spectators and course entertainment than the over-hyped Rock n Roll. Chicken Soup & soft pretzels at finish line, which was very nicely done - huge fenced off secure runners area & no more crossing the finish line and getting rammed into by strollers & pushed around by spectators eating the post-race food. Aside from a few poorly placed water stops (around corners) a very well done race by the city of Philadelphia!

atrus79

4.21 miles at a 10:41 p/mile pace. I wanted to slow down purposely today, given that starting Wednesday I am entering into the first 3, 6, 10, 20 mile days consecutively of the Galloway plan. I started off slow but decided that I will take it easy on Wed and Thurs and have a good regular run today so I sped back up to a regular pace after about two miles. Looking forward to getting these mock runs out of the way ... will make my confidence grow :)

JillC LI

@a2grafix, would you believe that I've seen those one legged lamps before but I had no idea they came from a movie?! I always wondered what they were supposed to mean. LOL. I'm afraid I've never seen A Christmas Story. Congrats on your age group win!

@lukacseven, glad you enjoyed your race. Love the chicken soup and soft pretzels concept for finishers.

a2grafix

@a2grafix That leg trophy would have been a sweet **** piece of bling.

Race team said they got the leg laps on Amazon. Yeah, pretty sweet bling if they made them into finishers medals.

Check out A Christmas Story Run 5k/10K that takes place in Cleveland, where the movie was filmed and the house is located. Runs the first weekend of December. They even have a virtual race entry. And yes, the finishers medal is a major award. ... http://www.achristmasstoryrun.com/index.php/register/

2013 finishers medal
A-Christmas-Story-Run-Medal_2013-276x300.jpg

2014 finishers medal
RaceMedal_2014_webres-295x300.jpg

@a2grafix, would you believe that I've seen those one legged lamps before but I had no idea they came from a movie?! I always wondered what they were supposed to mean. LOL. I'm afraid I've never seen A Christmas Story. Congrats on your age group win!

No time like the present. It's the holiday season. A Christmas Story airs for 24 straight hours on Christmas. I believe on TBS. Watch it.

Last edited:

Mad Stitch

That leg trophy would have been a sweet **** piece of bling.
Race team said they got the leg laps on Amazon. Yeah, pretty sweet bling if they made them into finishers medals.

Check out A Christmas Story Run 5k/10K that takes place in Cleveland, where the movie was filmed and the house is located. Runs the first weekend of December. They even have a virtual race entry. And yes, the finishers medal is a major award. ... http://www.achristmasstoryrun.com/index.php/register/

2013 finishers medal
A-Christmas-Story-Run-Medal_2013-276x300.jpg

2014 finishers medal
RaceMedal_2014_webres-295x300.jpg

Not time like the present. It's the holiday season. A Christmas Story airs for 24 straight hours on Christmas. I believe on TBS. Watch it.

Or you can look at my post from the race last year. I'm not doing it this year though, the weather in December is just too unpredictable.

<a href="http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/what-did-you-do.571503/page-526#post-5834554">What did you do?</a>

bethram

4.2 miles this morning in 59 damp degree weather, it was weird to wear shorts after how cold the last week was. I'm going to get up early again tomorrow so I can sleep in on my first day of Thanksgiving Break on Wednesday :)

JillC LI

So I was rear-ended on my way home from work yesterday, but it was just a light hit, and when we got out of our cars, there was no damage to mine, so I told the other woman she got lucky this time, and we both drove off. It wasn't until a few blocks later that I realized I was feeling pain in my neck. Lovely. So it's been hurting all night and is still hurting this morning. I sure hope it passes soon. Since it only hurts to turn my head right/left or move it up/down, I figured there'd be no harm in looking straight ahead at the TV while I ran 4 miles on the TM last night. :D

I'm going to get up early again tomorrow so I can sleep in on my first day of Thanksgiving Break on Wednesday :)

I'll be up early tomorrow to begin cooking! We're hosting 16 people on Thanksgiving (which also happens to be my birthday!). I love being a Turkey Baby, as my mom has always called me :)

bethram

@JillC LI, I liked your comment about Thanksgiving, not your car accident! Go see a chiropractor! I got hit from behind in college and the untreated whiplash caused migraines until my late twenties when I started seeing a chiropractor. He also adjusts my knees which is great for running :)

atrus79

3.11 miles this morning at an 11:37 p/mile pace. Took it easy purposely, since it's the start of my first 3, 6, 10, 20 consecutive run weekend ... one down 3 to go ;).

Everyone have a great Thanksgiving Weekend!

bethram

Happy Thanksgiving!

I set out early this morning and ran 6.5 miles, I would have liked to run more but the kids wanted to run a 5k and DH had to run down to his parents' house. I only ended up running another mile with the kids, but that's ok, I had baking to take care of.

I hope everyone had a nice day with their families and friends!

bethram

Since it's been a quiet weekend on this thread I hope everyone is enjoying friends and family over the long weekend.

I ran 5.7 miles this morning in nice 49 degree and overcast weather. It looks like the rest of the week should be pretty mild, too. Happy running!

a2grafix

After working a lot between my TV job and my military weekend job, I decided to squeeze in a little me time, a little fun time, down at Disney World. Needed it so much just to get away for a few days. Haven't been to WDW since my less than 24-trip in November 2013 to fly, nap, run, drink, eat, sleep and fly the 2013 Wine and Dine Half. Prepping for my eighth half coming up and ran 3.26 miles between Epcot and Studios. Much different in the day than the night. Ran in about 45 minutes in 76 puffy Toy Story clouds. Even detoured to the Swan and Dolphin. Nice little taper run around the Boardwalk and Yacht and Beach.

epcotstudiosrun.jpg

Next up -- 2014 St. Jude Half in Memphis on Dec. 6. Run temp -- expected low 50s and possibility of rain. Much better than the weather canceled 2013 St. Jude run of 19F and ice.

Now back to my relaxing and roller coasting! Hogwarts, Transformers and Spider-man! You're next!

2014-11-30_14-26-35_91.jpg
2014-11-30_14-21-56_560.jpg
2014-11-30_14-18-34_119.jpg

JillC LI

@JillC LI, I liked your comment about Thanksgiving, not your car accident! Go see a chiropractor! I got hit from behind in college and the untreated whiplash caused migraines until my late twenties when I started seeing a chiropractor. He also adjusts my knees which is great for running :)

Thanks Beth. It was such a light tap that I couldn't believe I was injured, but thankfully it has been getting a little bit better every single day, so hopefully I will be back to normal soon. It's not interfering with any activity and really hurts most when I wake up in the morning, but then loosens up.

jill - youve never seen christmas story , wow! , thats un american , youll shoot your eye out! .... with a red rider carbon action b-b gun!.. lol... ;)

LOL, well I do eat apple pie! I guess when you grow up celebrating Hanukah, no one in your family ever thinks to watch a Christmas Story!

I did 7 miles in the cold on Friday to work off the Thanksgiving over-indulgement. Yesterday I did a 5 mile run on a glorious November 30th in NY where it was over 50 degrees. I took the puppy on several mini runs as well. If only I could get her to stay on my right side and stop crossing in front of me in her excitement! One of us is going to get hurt one of these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom