Would you rather spend a day at Disney's Hollywood Studios, or Universal Studios?

Which park?

• Universal Studios

Votes: 168 56.4%
  • Disney's Hollywood Studios

Votes: 130 43.6%

• Total voters

Weather_Lady

Universal Studios, no question (caveat: we've never been there, but I've read enough about it to be familiar with its attractions). Hollywood Studios isn't even a full-day park for us, even though we only visit once every 18-24 months. The "rides" (by which I mean, "attractions that move me physically from one place to another in some fashion") can be completed in the first two hours after park opening. After that, it's a question of, "which show or two that we've seen multiple times before would we care to see again?"

I'm sure one could easily spend a full day there, savoring the "details," but I have to admit -- I haven't the patience (and my two small children certainly don't) for too much sitting on bleachers and meandering around. I want rides! RIDES!!!;) Universal Studios has more of them...

Now, if you asked me the same question and the comparator was Magic Kingdom or Epcot, I'd take either of those two Disney parks over any other park, any day...

3WaltFans

Universal Studios, no question (caveat: we've never been there, but I've read enough about it to be familiar with its attractions). Hollywood Studios isn't even a full-day park for us, even though we only visit once every 18-24 months. The "rides" (by which I mean, "attractions that move me physically from one place to another in some fashion") can be completed in the first two hours after park opening. After that, it's a question of, "which show or two that we've seen multiple times before would we care to see again?"

I'm sure one could easily spend a full day there, savoring the "details," but I have to admit -- I haven't the patience (and my two small children certainly don't) for too much sitting on bleachers and meandering around. I want rides! RIDES!!!;) Universal Studios has more of them...

Now, if you asked me the same question and the comparator was Magic Kingdom or Epcot, I'd take either of those two Disney parks over any other park, any day...

This about sums up this thread. Never been to Universal but i like it better!!!!!!!! WoW

Last edited:

Jwhee

This thread cracks me up. "Universal can't even afford one of the Disney parks"... I'm pretty sure Comcast could buy a few of them if they wanted

Tom Morrow

This thread was started before Diagon Alley, and before several things at DHS closed. There is even less to do at Hollywood Studios now. I honestly can't see why anyone would choose DHS over US with their current offerings.

Last edited:

JohnD

I answered Universal and here's why. Here's my objective analysis. HS is going through a transition right now with various attraction closures and plans in the works to revitalize the park (SW land, etc). That makes Universal, AT THE MOMENT, the better park.

I look forward to several years out when HS is on par with Universal.

kjb101791

On my CP in Spring 2013, I worked at Hollywood Studios, which may have ruined it for me as far as being a guest. Most of my friends and I had passes to Universal and we all would go there maybe 2 or 3 times a month and it was always fun. Even people who work at HS can have a difficult time navigating the place. Just ask someone on Sunset how to get to Muppets- very awkward. Don't get me wrong, I love Tower, Rockin' Roller Coaster, One Man's Dream, and maybe The Great Movie Ride (for nostalgic purposes), but the park is kind of awkward aside from that. My best memories of the park relate more to my friends and great experiences on my CP. Overall, though, Disney is very much a better resort (size, quality, activities, environment...)

THEMEPARKPIONEER

They have to put Hollywood Studios back to work, rename it Disney Studios for crying out loud, and add more movie based rides which is I. The works but when and doubt make it a working studio again. I feel like our trips were less frequent there when it wasn't an active studio any more.

kjb101791

They have to put Hollywood Studios back to work, rename it Disney Studios for crying out loud, and add more movie based rides which is I. The works but when and doubt make it a working studio again. I feel like our trips were less frequent there when it wasn't an active studio any more.
I agree. At least produce a few minor things there to make is at least *seem* like a real studio. And I'm not totally against the frozen ride like most people, but it would be better placed in Hollywood studios.

Chef Mickey

Uni is exceptionally well themed. Their parks are every bit as good as Disney's...and some things are much better.
And some things at Disney are much better.

I think people are always grasping at straws to prove one is better than the other. The numbers shows the choice is pretty clear, but that doesn't mean Universal is substandard.

For me, it's simply a smaller, less kid/family oriented experience at Universal.

I'd rather spend a day at DHS even if the only thing they had was Fantasmic and Tower of Terror. That's how much I love Tower of Terror.

I've been roasted for this, but I'll say it again. It's all about content. Disney's content wins every time. Transformers, The Simpsons, *Gasp* Harry Potter, and The Mummy are just rides with boring content to me. Do others have a different opinion? Sure, but it's not even a contest for me.

DHS needs work and is getting it in the next 3 years, so I think the situation for Disney will be that much stronger in 2017 and beyond.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
I chose DHS a long time ago and after visiting both last summer, my personal preference would be USF at the moment because of all the closures at DHS. However, I will say that a majority of the attractions at USF my family members could not ride because they were either 3D screens or too intense. Also when we had purchased our day tickets with the front of the line option we had access to the American Express Lounge. What an absolute dump. We weren't expecting much and were just appalled at the filth of the place. Perhaps it was just that day, but it didn't leave a good impression on us.

Despite the lack of rides, DHS still has a lot to do in terms of shows and entertainments, and has more options for our family. Also, we usually stay in the Epcot resort area so convenience also plays a role.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I don't know what there thinking putting the Frozen ride in Epcot, there's so many other spots in Disney World that need to be filled up. Hollywood Studios is one of them

Victor Kelly

I am not as fond of Universal or IOA like I am Disney. But, Universal and IOA have more combined for entertainment than the Studios. The studios needs attention, and more attractions. It is a half day park at best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom