AVATAR land construction progress

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They have about 2 years of construction left to go, right? If it's not possible for them to do it in that amount of time in an area of the park with absolutely no guests walking around unlike NFL then Disney really does have problems.
So I am assuming that you have access to all of the site conditions, plans, structural engineering, civil engineering, landscaping, construction time tables, contractors schedules, contractor availability, inspection schedules, financial outlay timetables, weather condition estimates, material availability and third party mechanical production time tables.

That is after all what you would need for you to have an educated opinion on when Pandora should be completed. I would hate to think that you would be making such a statement without having all the data that would tell you when such a project should be completed.

twebber55

So I am assuming that you have access to all of the site conditions, plans, structural engineering, civil engineering, landscaping, construction time tables, contractors schedules, contractor availability, inspection schedules, financial outlay timetables, weather condition estimates, material availability and third party mechanical production time tables.

That is after all what you would need for you to have an educated opinion on when Pandora should be completed. I would hate to think that you would be making such a statement without having all the data that would tell you when such a project should be completed.
believe it or not i do have access to all those things ;)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

But, when I build a house and a tower with my Lego bricks, I don't need any of that. And we all know that building a theme park land is just a very scaled up version of building with Legos.

Mike S

I'm basing my thoughts on how other recent projects of this scale were done. Cars Land and London/Diagon Alley mostly. In both cases the whole land opened together so excuse me if it seems a little strange that one of Pandora's major attractions for some odd reason possibly isn't opening with the rest of the land in 2017 (where my 2 years of construction comment comes from). It seems that they have plenty of time to have it all open when you look at the construction timeframe for both Cars Land and Diagon Alley which both took somewhere over two years if my memory is correct.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm basing my thoughts on how other recent projects of this scale were done. Cars Land and London/Diagon Alley mostly. In both cases the whole land opened together so excuse me if it seems a little strange that one of Pandora's major attractions for some odd reason possibly isn't opening with the rest of the land in 2017 (where my 2 years of construction comment comes from). It seems that they have plenty of time to have it all open when you look at the construction timeframe for both Cars Land and Diagon Alley which both took somewhere over two years if my memory is correct.
What happens with other projects is largely irrelevant especially at this scale.

I have see multiple occasions of identical structures being built by the same builder, in the same area and one takes twice as long to complete as the other for one reason or another. And these are just simple 4/3-2000 square foot single family homes.

In this particular case you have entirely different projects going up in entirely different locations, built by entirely different crews. We have gone past comparing apples to oranges. We are now in comparing apples to cylinder heads for a 63 Corvette territory.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
100% agreed. The basis of assuming a phased opening is FLE and other past projects. This project is unique and has its own set of variables.
Assuming a phased opening is simply following Disney's trend. I can all but guarantee you that some elements of this project will be ready for guests before others. It is true of pretty much every large scale construction project.

I would be tickled pink if they opened this area fully intact and complete, but Disney has a long track record of doing exactly the opposite. I will stick with the trend and then hope to be proven wrong.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My opinion is if the boat ride doesn't open around the same time (same year) as the rest of the land it's never coming.

I could see the land soft opening with one of the rides not fully functioning or some finishing touches not done on shops, restaurants or other areas. I don't really see a phased approach stretching over multiple years being very successful.

twebber55

My opinion is if the boat ride doesn't open around the same time (same year) as the rest of the land it's never coming.

I could see the land soft opening with one of the rides not fully functioning or some finishing touches not done on shops, restaurants or other areas. I don't really see a phased approach stretching over multiple years being very successful.
they re already building it right?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
they re already building it right?
No clue. Right now there's no way to tell. Even if the foundation for the show building or the building itself is built there's no guarantee the ride ever opens. I think one of the rumors was the outside of what would be the boat ride would be mostly complete, but the inside and ride system would be installed as part of phase 2. Wouldn't be the first time a show building went unused.

That being said, I really seriously doubt that will happen. My gut says the whole land will open at the same time like Car's Land and not one piece at a time like FLE.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom