so, Horror nights

Bairstow

Really. (Not ourselves but we witnessed it) One guy behind us walked away because he refused to let them check his pants pockets, you had to show your pockets were empty lift up your arms to show nothing concealed etc, and that we were not carrying anything on, even the smallest item had to be placed in a locker or you could not ride. There was very strict security and a police officer there watching the line. Maybe there had been an incident earlier there or something.

Crikey.
I remember a very brusque employee at the head of the line last month telling everyone to empty their pockets at the locker, but not actual pat downs.
Universal must have gotten really sick of all the irate parents whose kids lost their cell phones on the vertical lifts.

JT3000

Crikey.
I remember a very brusque employee at the head of the line last month telling everyone to empty their pockets at the locker, but not actual pat downs.
Universal must have gotten really sick of all the irate parents whose kids lost their cell phones on the vertical lifts.

This still isn't normal procedure. I rode Rockit during HHN and never saw them checking anyone.

Mia22

Yes I agree it was not like that during normal hours, and it was one particular group of Guys who seemed to be getting the extra checks Ie brief pat down of pocket area - maybe because they were a bit drunk or something. Anyway one guy walked off and refused to co operate maybe he had something he shouldn't in his pockets who knows, But we did have to show our pockets were empty before riding. Even a park map in a pocket was not allowed on.

tahqa

Really. (Not ourselves but we witnessed it) One guy behind us walked away because he refused to let them check his pants pockets, you had to show your pockets were empty lift up your arms to show nothing concealed etc, and that we were not carrying anything on, even the smallest item had to be placed in a locker or you could not ride. There was very strict security and a police officer there watching the line. Maybe there had been an incident earlier there or something.

It could be because they had lines for haunted houses going right under the RRR tracks. It's a hazard to the people underneath if something falls off the ride. :confused:

Mia22

It could be because they had lines for haunted houses going right under the RRR tracks. It's a hazard to the people underneath if something falls off the ride. :confused:
I think you are bang on there ! Makes sense I remember looking down at house lines while in line

71jason

Wait, really?

This is the new normal. Nothing in pockets, period, on RockIt and I believe Hulk--possibly even Dragons. Two weeks ago, during the day, my friends' teens were turned away because they had cell phones in their ZIPPERED pockets.

On Board X, there's a rumor involving an open pocketknife falling from RockIt, hitting a kid. Not sure how much truth in it, but for the past month patdowns have been a thing if you appear to have anything in your pockets.

Mia22

This is the new normal. Nothing in pockets, period, on RockIt and I believe Hulk--possibly even Dragons. Two weeks ago, during the day, my friends' teens were turned away because they had cell phones in their ZIPPERED pockets.

On Board X, there's a rumor involving an open pocketknife falling from RockIt, hitting a kid. Not sure how much truth in it, but for the past month patdowns have been a thing if you appear to have anything in your pockets.
Oh really ? That would explain how serious they were being.

DistractedGenius

I have a friend who works on the Hulk and yeah, they're not allowing anything in pockets and such on the ride at this point. He's got a lot of crazy stories about people getting really violent or unruly about it, so it is definitely not popular. However, it's also not just during Horror Nights. They're dead serious about it.

Bairstow

I can (almost) understand the policy on RockIt, what with its weird seats and vertical lift, but why Hulk?
It's not that much more violent than any of the other dozens and dozens of B&M coasters out there.

I'd be irritated if I had to remove everything from my pockets too.
The no-bags policy on Forbidden Journey and other Universal rides has taught me to wear cargo shorts to Universal's parks and to pack them to the gills with stuff.

What about Dragon Challenge?
They had those two eye strike incidents a couple years ago, but I still am willing to bet both of those were due to malice on the part of rider(s) intentionally throwing objects at the oncoming train.

71jason

I can (almost) understand the policy on RockIt, what with its weird seats and vertical lift, but why Hulk?
It's not that much more violent than any of the other dozens and dozens of B&M coasters out there.

I'd be irritated if I had to remove everything from my pockets too.
The no-bags policy on Forbidden Journey and other Universal rides has taught me to wear cargo shorts to Universal's parks and to pack them to the gills with stuff.

What about Dragon Challenge?
They had those two eye strike incidents a couple years ago, but I still am willing to bet both of those were due to malice on the part of rider(s) intentionally throwing objects at the oncoming train.

If this open pocket knife story is legit--I don't know, it sounds crazy but reliable source--then it almost certainly was malicious, not accidental. Emptying pockets is the most effective--if also most annoying--way to prevent that from happening again. I don't think there is an easy answer.

Bairstow

If this open pocket knife story is legit--I don't know, it sounds crazy but reliable source--then it almost certainly was malicious, not accidental. Emptying pockets is the most effective--if also most annoying--way to prevent that from happening again. I don't think there is an easy answer.

I'm left to wonder if all this is the result of one lone sociopath.
I can't imagine they had the wherewithall at the time to fingerprint the knife, huh?

71jason

I'm left to wonder if all this is the result of one lone sociopath.
I can't imagine they had the wherewithall at the time to fingerprint the knife, huh?

Dueling Dragons not dueling is almost certainly that. So wouldn't shock me.

As for fingerprinting the knife, would hope so, but corporate America's motto is CYA and avoid the inevitable lawsuit. Not sure how many Brazilian teens have fingerprints on file no matter. Or maybe the whole story is BS--it's the interwebz.

DistractedGenius

I actually heard from my friend it is to prevent people from trying to take selfies on the ride and not drop their phones on bystanders or something. Not sure if that's what they want us to hear or what really happened, but that's what I've been told.

Bairstow

I actually heard from my friend it is to prevent people from trying to take selfies on the ride and not drop their phones on bystanders or something. Not sure if that's what they want us to hear or what really happened, but that's what I've been told.

Ah, that does make a bit more sense.
The rise of the popularity of selfies and camera phones actually is something that's changed since Hulk and Dragons opened.

I'm just glad I was able to get a good GoPro video of us riding Dragon Challenge. When I tried a few minutes later at Hulk a team member rather brusquely told me to put the camera away, and scolded me again when I got off the ride. I didn't even bother trying to film anything else that day.

It's odd; Disney's approach to cameras, even on their thrill rides is so laissez-faire compared to everyone else's.
Heck, I strapped my GoPro to the handle bars on Expedition Everest last Spring and the attendants just smiled.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 seemed to confirm the story on Board X ... not sure if he'd like to do the same here or elaborate
What's this about? Clamping down on the Uni coaster rules?

Yep. Legit. Something happened involving a guest breaking both the existing rules of the park and common sense. Something they obviously don't want to happen again or have a worse outcome. Given this and the Dragons incidents, and also the path Rockit (and Hulk) take it's understandable.

Without going into specifics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom