Disney Channel Rant

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I've been thinking about the absurdity of the Disney Channel for a very long time, so much to the point where I'm thinking of starting a blog about the subject. I just wanted to comment on my distaste for the current Disney Channel.

To put it bluntly, the current Disney Channel is pure crap. It's such a shame to see how low Disney has stooped for this generation of kids and pre-teens in terms of their television programming. Current Disney Channel shows lack good writing, good or at least decent actors and actresses and good plots. The worst thing about the new shows has to be the laugh track present in the background. I absolutely can't stand it, especially since whatever is being said is not funny, WHATSOEVER. I could pick apart the shows and piece by piece, mention every, single, little thing that bothers me, but this post would go on for ages.

The biggest reason why the current Disney Channel is such a disappointment for me is the fact that there is a lack of actual Disney content present, as well as well-written cartoons. When I was a kid, Disney had a separate block called Vault Disney that screened the classic shows and films from Walt's era, shows like Zorro and The Mickey Mouse Club and movies like The Parent Trap and The Monkey's Uncle. I remember also watching The Wonderful World of Color, which was one of my all-time favorite programs to watch, not to mention the Silly Symphony shorts. The fact that Disney refuses to air these classic Disney programs and movies just doesn't make any sense to me, and it is truly disappointing. If I could pick just one thing to bring back for the current Disney Channel, it would definitely be the Vault Disney block. Disney Channel's lack of cartoon shows is odd as well. Toon Disney had so many great cartoons... Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, Duck Tales, Goof Troop, Recess, Pepper Ann, etc. Who else loved those corny but really cool Disney movie shows, like Timon and Pumbaa, The Little Mermaid and Aladdin? Now there's pretty much nothing.

The current Disney Channel original movies that are being produced are also terrible. I hate them all, once again, due to poor plots, horrible acting and cringe-worthy writing.

I feel like the new shows lack variety, especially when compared to previous shows from the 90's to the early 00's. Specific genres, or modes included family/action (The Famous Jett Jackson), sci-fi (So Weird), sports(y) (The Jersey and Z Games), medical/health (In a Heartbeat), game shows (Off the Wall and Mad Libs) and even a reality show (Bug Juice). Now pretty much every Disney Channel star sings and dances, even if they can't really do either. I won't even bother talking about Dinosaurs, which is one of Disney Channel's best shows. I'd say the last really good shows Disney ever produced were Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens. That's So Raven was the beginning of the end.

Disney, please stop with the absurdity. We need Vault Disney, Toon Disney and Zoog Disney back, PLEASE!

P.S. Girl Meets World is an absolute insult to its predecessor.

jdmdisney99

The only show that I like from the Disney channel in the last 10 years or so is Suite Life. That's pretty hilarious, the rest makes me want to run out into traffic.
I'd say Suite Life was the beginning of the end. On Deck was worse but still better than the other stuff they were starting to put out (Shake It Off was the official death of the network IMO).

prberk

The biggest reason why the current Disney Channel is such a disappointment for me is the fact that there is a lack of actual Disney content present, as well as well-written cartoons. When I was a kid, Disney had a separate block called Vault Disney that screened the classic shows and films from Walt's era, shows like Zorro and The Mickey Mouse Club and movies like The Parent Trap and The Monkey's Uncle. I remember also watching The Wonderful World of Color, which was one of my all-time favorite programs to watch, not to mention the Silly Symphony shorts. The fact that Disney refuses to air these classic Disney programs and movies just doesn't make any sense to me, and it is truly disappointing. If I could pick just one thing to bring back for the current Disney Channel, it would definitely be the Vault Disney block. Disney Channel's lack of cartoon shows is odd as well. Toon Disney had so many great cartoons... Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, Duck Tales, Goof Troop, Recess, Pepper Ann, etc. Who else loved those corny but really cool Disney movie shows, like Timon and Pumbaa, The Little Mermaid and Aladdin? Now there's pretty much nothing.

I remember when Disney made the conscious decision to jettison Vault Disney and essentially all of the rest of the programming you mention, to go instead to almost exclusively programming for the "Hanna Montana" set (except for some daytime programming aimed at small children).

They addressed it by literally saying that they were programming for pre-teens and teens the world over, and that there were 13-year-olds watching somewhere in the world at any hour; so that in order to recognize the globalization of their channel and the global "brand" of The Disney Channel, they had made the decision to make their primary programming around the clock. (Of course that argument falls apart when you ask, "What about the 13-year-olds who are watching during the time that they do the small-children segment?")

It was further evidenced later when a lady (forgot her name) was promoted from Disney Channel to a larger group of ABC networks, and she literally said that she really did not have a background in programming per se, but she knows how to "create a brand." I believe that she went on to help "rebrand" the ABC Family channel to be "a new kind of family," focusing on various social issues instead of traditional "family" programming. (That in itself is another topic.)

See, all of these actions were done on purpose to meet some sort of perceived market demographic by grown adults who don't really watch or care about the programming themselves.

You are evidence that youth (as you were at the time of watching Vault Disney) will find the classics curious, and don't need to be talked down to. And I just saw a child (about 10) from my church yesterday see a classic Mickey Mouse cartoon on YouTube and say that she preferred that type of animation. She said that the modern MM (like from MM Clubhouse) looked cheap.

I have been a youth director for teens for my church for about 20 years, and I have consistently found what you say to be true for the teens. They are interested in things that do not talk down to them, and when they know classic Disney they are more interested in it usually. Sadly, though, today few still know Old Yeller or even things like Even Stevens. They do knew the biggies for feature animation, but that is all. And they don't care at all for The Disney Channel, at least since Phineas and Ferb.

So, I am right there with you, but until the management realizes that the Disney Channel is a television network with actual shows that develop loyalty by virtue of story and quality, rather than just a "brand" or "platform" for the "brand," it will not come back around.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I remember when Disney made the conscious decision to jettison Vault Disney and essentially all of the rest of the programming you mention, to go instead to almost exclusively programming for the "Hanna Montana" set (except for some daytime programming aimed at small children).

They addressed it by literally saying that they were programming for pre-teens and teens the world over, and that there were 13-year-olds watching somewhere in the world at any hour; so that in order to recognize the globalization of their channel and the global "brand" of The Disney Channel, they had made the decision to make their primary programming around the clock. (Of course that argument falls apart when you ask, "What about the 13-year-olds who are watching during the time that they do the small-children segment?")

It was further evidenced later when a lady (forgot her name) was promoted from Disney Channel to a larger group of ABC networks, and she literally said that she really did not have a background in programming per se, but she knows how to "create a brand." I believe that she went on to help "rebrand" the ABC Family channel to be "a new kind of family," focusing on various social issues instead of traditional "family" programming. (That in itself is another topic.)

See, all of these actions were done on purpose to meet some sort of perceived market demographic by grown adults who don't really watch or care about the programming themselves.

You are evidence that youth (as you were at the time of watching Vault Disney) will find the classics curious, and don't need to be talked down to. And I just saw a child (about 10) from my church yesterday see a classic Mickey Mouse cartoon on YouTube and say that she preferred that type of animation. She said that the modern MM (like from MM Clubhouse) looked cheap.

I have been a youth director for teens for my church for about 20 years, and I have consistently found what you say to be true for the teens. They are interested in things that do not talk down to them, and when they know classic Disney they are more interested in it usually. Sadly, though, today few still know Old Yeller or even things like Even Stevens. They do knew the biggies for feature animation, but that is all. And they don't care at all for The Disney Channel, at least since Phineas and Ferb.

So, I am right there with you, but until the management realizes that the Disney Channel is a television network with actual shows that develop loyalty by virtue of story and quality, rather than just a "brand" or "platform" for the "brand," it will not come back around.

How unfortunate and pathetic. I actually wrote a letter to the Disney Channel Headquarters about creating another channel for its old programming, like Boomerang for Cartoon Network. They never wrote back.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I think that's what makes it hardest. They had some really good shows there for a while. Lizzie McGuire was awesome. I also always enjoyed Kim Possible (actually, I still enjoy that one every once in a while; it's on Youtube) and Phil of the Future.

I loved Kim Possible. Phil of the Future was better than the crap shown on the channel now, but it was still a bit corny.

216bruce

Man, I wish House of Mouse was available on dvd. There's a couple of 'specials' from it out there...and I bought a decent bootleg of about half of the series, but a great quality one would be welcomed.

prberk

Man, I wish House of Mouse was available on dvd. There's a couple of 'specials' from it out there...and I bought a decent bootleg of about half of the series, but a great quality one would be welcomed.

How unfortunate and pathetic. I actually wrote a letter to the Disney Channel Headquarters about creating another channel for its old programming, like Boomerang for Cartoon Network. They never wrote back.

You are not in their market demographic, as far as the programmers are concerned. They use "family" to be codeword for a certain demographic, and for the "Disney" Channel that is 13-year-olds, especially girls. And the sad part is that it is more what they THINK that demographic wants than what it might really want, or *gasp* need.

I really wish they would listen to you, Raven. You are spot on, especially on the need for programming that speaks to the intelligence of students, and that gives lasting value, not to "crap" that is hollow and even annoying to those students, with no lasting value.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
You are not in their market demographic, as far as the programmers are concerned. They use "family" to be codeword for a certain demographic, and for the "Disney" Channel that is 13-year-olds, especially girls. And the sad part is that it is more what they THINK that demographic wants than what it might really want, or *gasp* need.

I really wish they would listen to you, Raven. You are spot on, especially on the need for programming that speaks to the intelligence of students, and that gives lasting value, not to "****" that is hollow and even annoying to those students, with no lasting value.

You know, I wouldn't complain as much if Disney would just release the shows on DVD. You would think they would. That's easy profit and more money they'd be making.

Animaniac93-98

I believe the additional, non-advertised, decision to drop Vault Disney was that Disney decided they could make more money by selling the content in DVD instad of just showing it on TV for free.

Disney Channel went downhill after the switch from premium (aka pay extra) to basic cable where it had to compete directly with the likes of Nickalodeon and felt it had to produce lower budget programing. The strategy going forward was to copy the style of other channel's to reproduce their success, instead of letting Disney be itself. The results speak for themselves.

prberk

I believe the additional, non-advertised, decision to drop Vault Disney was that Disney decided they could make more money by selling the content in DVD instad of just showing it on TV for free.

Disney Channel went downhill after the switch from premium (aka pay extra) to basic cable where it had to compete directly with the likes of Nickalodeon and felt it had to produce lower budget programing. The strategy going forward was to copy the style of other channel's to reproduce their success, instead of letting Disney be itself. The results speak for themselves.

And to be honest, some analysts will say that those results are showing good profitability. And that is where the rub lies. Short-term profitability may hide the lack of the long-term gain of customer loyalty over generations. The latter has driven Disney for years, and has helped sustain Disney during short-term dry spells. Everyone continued to trust and give them a chance even when a flop or two came along, because they knew that they could trust Disney to provide good content overall, and favorites that would stay with you for years. (You could rely on the classics even if the current stuff hit a bump.)
Now they have put the Disney Channel's eggs all in the "current" basket. It's like investment. That may seem like it makes sense to have a short-term horizon (to buy and sell constantly) and time the market as the market goes up, but eventually that balloon pops; and then you will know that wisdom of having some long-term stability in your stock holdings (consistent earners that may not be "hot" but will be consistent and avoid downfalls). Same for The Disney Channel. It has always has some "current" offerings that may or may not be good (disco Mickey dancing...); but in having a good mix of classics and a tendency toward shows that created likeable, well-written characters with depth vs. constant one-liners, they developed exactly the format that Raven above and others came to love and carried over into the loyalty of adulthood.

Again, part of the reason that business schools used to cite Disney in management classes as a company to emulate. They and the company had a term for it: The Disney Way.

Now it might as well be called, The New Disney Way: Maximizing Short-Term Profit at the Potential Expense of Customer Loyalty.

kelknight84

I totally agree with the horrid state of the Disney channel and the total lack of appropriate programming. We refuse to let our DD's watch anything except Girl Meets World.

On the flip side, I am impressed with the Disney Junior channel. They have lots of good wholesome shows and the little bits between shows are also pretty good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom