Peter Pan Live on NBC

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
An article about the changes to the music lots of songs are being added.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/18/peter-pan-live-new-songs/

How they will handle the song Ugg-a-Wugg

“Amanda has consulted with our Native American consultant [Jerod Tate], just in terms of replacing ‘Ugg-a-Wugg’ with something more traditionally Native American—which has been approved by them and the rights holders. Now and forever, this will hopefully be the version [in the show],” Meron said. Green said the process involved “stripping it down and taking out things that were silly in the day it was written and offensive today.” The new version of the song has Native American phrases, while “nonsense syllables” have been replaced with nursery rhymes.

Mickey_777

Yeah I can't get into a play filmed for TV. Walken like that reminds of of Saturday night live. This isn't the first time Pan has been has with a female. I wonder why that is. Spiderman can be skinny and lanky dude, why not cast a guy like that for Pan?

Californian Elitist

Yeah I can't get into a play filmed for TV. Walken like that reminds of of Saturday night live. This isn't the first time Pan has been has with a female. I wonder why that is. Spiderman can be skinny and lanky dude, why not cast a guy like that for Pan?

A female was cast as Peter Pan for the story's very first performance, Maude Adams. A man wasn't considered a good choice at the time, and they couldn't have a boy playing Peter Pan because of an age limit law in England. After Adams' performance, a woman Peter Pan became the norm and tradition.

250px-Adams_Maude-003.jpg

Mickey_777

A female was cast as Peter Pan for the story's very first performance, Maude Adams. A man wasn't considered a good choice at the time, and they couldn't have a boy playing Peter Pan because of an age limit law in England. After Adams' performance, a woman Peter Pan became the norm and tradition.

250px-Adams_Maude-003.jpg

Now I know. And knowing is half the battle.

Californian Elitist

As if the NBC special doesn't look bad enough, WB released this trailer for their Peter Pan retelling, lamely named "Pan".

This looks amazing, IMO. I saw it a few days ago, and I'm pumped for it. How is "Pan" lame? It's the name of the main character. Disney did the same thing, they just added the first name.

This film so far looks better than anything Disney's put out within the past decade.

Bairstow

This looks amazing, IMO. I saw it a few days ago, and I'm pumped for it. How is "Pan" lame? It's the name of the main character. Disney did the same thing, they just added the first name.

This film so far looks better than anything Disney's put out within the past decade.

I'm not sure about this one.
On the one hand I'm sick to spitting death of origin stories, especially those that take liberties with the original material.
On the other hand, it looks gorgeous.

... lamely named "Pan".

There's precedent for that.

index.jpg

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I'm not sure about this one.
On the one hand I'm sick to spitting death of origin stories, especially those that take liberties with the original material.
On the other hand, it looks gorgeous.

I understand. J.M Barrie, the author of Peter Pan, wrote an origins story for the title character, and it came after the original. It's called Peter in Kensington Gardens. No, this new film coming out is not like Kensington Gardens, but I always appreciate different takes of the general story of Peter Pan, mainly because I'm completely obsessed with it. Peter Pan is my all-time favorite literary character, and one of my top three favorite novels. So far, I have enjoyed every cinematic version (that I've seen) of the story, including Disney's version (although it's flawed), Hook, Universal's Peter Pan, Finding Neverland, SyFy's Neverland and hopefully this one. I have high hopes for both this film and NBC's production.

FoozieBear

I find it lame. Taking a classic movie and changing it to sound cooler, like Sony is doing within the next few years, taking the Robin Hood stories and calling it "Hood". They're trying to make it unnecessarily epic, and the end result is just lame. Disney didn't take the Oz origin story and call it Oz. They called it "Oz the Great and Powerful". Studios should be more original with their titles if they aren't going to stick to the proper story.

Anyway, the movie looks pretty awful. It's a bland boring remake of a story no one wanted to see. I'm pretty sick of these retellings at these points...the only one I semi enjoyed was Maleficent, other than that, they really have got to stop.

lazyboy97o

I understand. J.M Barrie, the author of Peter Pan, wrote an origins story for the title character, and it came after the original. It's called Peter in Kensington Gardens. No, this new film coming out is not like Kensington Gardens, but I always appreciate different takes of the general story of Peter Pan, mainly because I'm completely obsessed with it. Peter Pan is my all-time favorite literary character, and one of my top three favorite novels. So far, I have enjoyed every cinematic version (that I've seen) of the story, including Disney's version (although it's flawed), Hook, Universal's Peter Pan, Finding Neverland, SyFy's Neverland and hopefully this one. I have high hopes for both this film and NBC's production.
Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens was published before the play as part of a larger work and they're not really too connected in terms of plot. However, in both it and Peter and Wendy we learn that Peter ran away. Making him an orphan who is apparently abducted is a rather radical change. Hook is also the most feared of pirates.

FoozieBear

Somehow I feel "Hook" works better than "Pan". Why couldn't they just call it "Peter Pan". It just gets me annoyed.

Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens was published before the play as part of a larger work and they're not really too connected in terms of plot. However, in both it and Peter and Wendy we learn that Peter ran away. Making him an orphan who is apparently abducted is a rather radical change. Hook is also the most feared of pirates.

It doesn't look like anything matches up to the original story. I don't even know why they bother basing it off the Peter Pan story if they are going to make such radical changes.

Californian Elitist

Peter and Wendy, aka Peter Pan debuted as a play in 1904, and Peter in Kensington Gardens was published in 1906, if I'm correct. I could be wrong.

Yes, it is a radical change, but I don't mind it. As I said earlier, I've always been open to dramatic changes made to the story, if the take is supposed to be entirely different, like Pan.

I find it lame. Taking a classic movie and changing it to sound cooler, like Sony is doing within the next few years, taking the Robin Hood stories and calling it "Hood". They're trying to make it unnecessarily epic, and the end result is just lame. Disney didn't take the Oz origin story and call it Oz. They called it "Oz the Great and Powerful". Studios should be more original with their titles if they aren't going to stick to the proper story.

Anyway, the movie looks pretty awful. It's a bland boring remake of a story no one wanted to see. I'm pretty sick of these retellings at these points...the only one I semi enjoyed was Maleficent, other than that, they really have got to stop.

Peter Pan is mentioned as just "Pan" multiple times in the original work, so there's that. There's no change.

How can you call the entire movie bland and boring when you haven't even seen it? And stop speaking for everyone. You're entitled to your opinion, but please don't say things like "no one wants to see the movie".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom