Speechless at Disneyland Resort Trip Report

DisneyPrincess5

Have you considered Amtrak via Sleeper Car service? You would take the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago, then you could take either the Southwest Chief to LA, or the California Zephyr to San Francisco and the Coast Starlight from San Francisco to LA.

amtrak%20routes.jpg

There could be a day or two of sight-seeing in Chicago or San Francisco on either route, to break up the 3 or 4 days of train travel. The Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco is NOT to be missed for any Disney fan. And the Coast Starlight route along the ocean from LA to San Francisco is one of the most beautiful train routes in North America.
CoastStarlight.jpg

Or, from Chicago you could take the Empire Builder to Seattle or Portland, then the Coast Starlight down from the Great Pacific Northwest to LA. You'd transfer trains in LA to catch an hourly Surfliner train to the Anaheim station, about a five minute cab ride from Disneyland and its hotel district.
Thanks so much for this-Amtrak is definitely something we will consider when the time comes. We won't be going on any pricey or lengthy vacations for the next few years so we will have time to decide. Thanks again!

Kman101

Don't visit the Disneyland forum very often but wanted to say what a great trip report! I'm hoping to get back there in 2015. Loved it my first visit waaaay back in 2008 and can't wait to see it during the anniversary. There's definitely something special about the resort. As a WDW local, I appreciate those parks for a lot of different reasons but again, there's just that "something" about Disneyland.

TP2000

Don't visit the Disneyland forum very often but wanted to say what a great trip report! I'm hoping to get back there in 2015. Loved it my first visit waaaay back in 2008 and can't wait to see it during the anniversary. There's definitely something special about the resort. As a WDW local, I appreciate those parks for a lot of different reasons but again, there's just that "something" about Disneyland.

That something "special" you noticed at Disneyland is kind of famous actually. It's called "Walt".

Anaheim has Walt, Orlando doesn't. Neither does Paris or Tokyo or Hong Kong. You'll only find Walt's touch and his enduring presence in Anaheim.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
I remember you mentioning the possibility of moving to Los Angeles, looks like it's happening. Good for you! What part of LA are you moving to? When you get here, you should consider getting yourself an AP.

I may end up with a position at UCLA (fingers crossed). What are some good locations to look at around that area? My budget would be tight but I would rather live alone than with roommates - so I am not too picky.

Californian Elitist

I may end up with a position at UCLA (fingers crossed). What are some good locations to look at around that area? My budget would be tight but I would rather live alone than with roommates - so I am not too picky.

I currently live in Brentwood/Westwood, near UCLA, and it's only because I dorm at my school. It is not cheap at all to live in this area. It's in the same area as Bel-Air and Beverly Hills. Don't expect to find cheap rents, especially if you're living by yourself. Burbank is not too far away. Might want to look there.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
I currently live in Brentwood/Westwood, near UCLA, and it's only because I dorm at my school. It is not cheap at all to live in this area. It's in the same area as Bel-Air and Beverly Hills. Don't expect to find cheap rents, especially if you're living by yourself. Burbank is not too far away. Might want to look there.

Dont remind me lol. Ive lived in Manhattan and that was crazy expensive. I will do research on those areas.

GoofyCathy

View attachment 71133 On Thursday, October 16, 2014 I visited The Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, CA - and all I can say is WOW. This was the most amazing day I have ever spent at any Disney theme park coast to coast. I was staying downtown LA - ironically, I was on the fence about going to DLR through about 7am that morning. Then around 730am I said I have nothing else to do- I will go to disneyland.

The drive from downtown LA to Anaheim at 730am was literally about 40 minutes. I was at the parking garage by 845am and to the theme park plaza (the area between DL and DCA) by 910am. I purchased a one day hopper for $150 - this was well worth the money for the day I had in store. As a backdrop - this was my first time at DL since I was five in the late 80s.

As a Disney World expert and someone who travels to DW no less than once a year from Chicago - I immediately began going comparisons. Right off - I was amazing at how clean everything was. Literally, spotless - this was the entire day - both parks everywhere.
View attachment 71133 On Thursday, October 16, 2014 I visited The Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, CA - and all I can say is WOW. This was the most amazing day I have ever spent at any Disney theme park coast to coast. I was staying downtown LA - ironically, I was on the fence about going to DLR through about 7am that morning. Then around 730am I said I have nothing else to do- I will go to disneyland.

The drive from downtown LA to Anaheim at 730am was literally about 40 minutes. I was at the parking garage by 845am and to the theme park plaza (the area between DL and DCA) by 910am. I purchased a one day hopper for $150 - this was well worth the money for the day I had in store. As a backdrop - this was my first time at DL since I was five in the late 80s.

As a Disney World expert and someone who travels to DW no less than once a year from Chicago - I immediately began going comparisons. Right off - I was amazing at how clean everything was. Literally, spotless - this was the entire day - both parks everywhere.

Wow! Thanks for the great, detailed synopsis of DL! We're so excited to visit in April. We usually go to WDW but love the idea of seeing classic DL! We've booked 4 nights at Grand Californian as we usually do 4 days at WDW. Is that too many for DL and DCA? Do they use fast passes/magic bands? Thank you so much! I'm so looking forward to it!

GiveMeTheMusic

Wow! Thanks for the great, detailed synopsis of DL! We're so excited to visit in April. We usually go to WDW but love the idea of seeing classic DL! We've booked 4 nights at Grand Californian as we usually do 4 days at WDW. Is that too many for DL and DCA? Do they use fast passes/magic bands? Thank you so much! I'm so looking forward to it!

4 days is perfect. No Fastpass+ or bands. Check out our Guide for WDW Veterans here, it'll answer a lot of questions:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/guide-to-dlr-for-wdw-veterans.875596/

Kman101

I second the four days, plenty of time, although I could probably spend a lot more time there :) ... and I did do a day tour of Hollywood, etc. (didn't rent a car at the time so I was limited in what I did, it was a *very* budget trip, LOL) to avoid the weekend crowds at the time (I flew in on a Saturday, went that day/night, toured on Sunday and was back in DL on Mon). Went around Mothers Day in 2008. Crowds were great and weather was decent. Drizzly and cool in the morning but I'd go again around that time.

steviej

sorry to bring back such an old tr, but this thread inspired me to call my wife at work and sell her on a trip to dl in 2018 (2017 is already booked up with 2 trips to wdw, 1 for her friend's wedding, another just the wife and I)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom