DVC AP Discount to be discontinued?

Minthorne

I hope not. I know the last two years there was this rumor as well and then after the first of the year they announced a deeper discount on the PAP for a short time.

EOD K9

While I wouldn't put anything past them, I cant see them doing that without offering some type of discount elsewhere with other tickets.

awilliams4

Been scouring the web all week looking for more details into this rumor. I can't find anything anywhere besides the twitter post on this thread so hoping/assuming this is bogus.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I checked and I think this may have been started by there being no Disney Vacation Club discount this year for the premium annual pass. DVC members spend a lot of money in the parks. I know many that have added additional vacation points in order to visit more often with their annual passes. The return on the increased price of the annual pass by discontinuing the discount would be off set in the loss of additional revenue generated by DVC members visiting the parks more often and purchasing additional vacation points.

NormC

I want to add points so that we can go more often and stay longer but I will not until they increase the discounts we get. If they take away the discounts I may sell my points. As a DVC owner I was told it would save me money. I can get great deals with free dining as a non member that sometimes work out cheaper that what it cost us to use our points. Granted it may be at a value resort like POP but my kids liked POP.
To be quite frank I think they should give us huge ticket discounts like 50% off and much better dining options.

Last edited:

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I do not know who sold you your Disney Vacation Club time share, but when I purchased mine there was no guarantee of discount that you want. I was told what the discounts at the time where and that they may or may not continue. Some are better now, some are not as good and others remain about the same. You seem to be wanting more than what you paid for and might be wise to sell now and stay at value resorts.

Gomer

I want to add points so that we can go more often and stay longer but I will not until they increase the discounts we get. If they take away the discounts I may sell my points. As a DVC owner I was told it would save me money. I can get great deals with free dining as a non member that sometimes work out cheaper that what it cost us to use our points. Grated it may be at a value resort like POP but my kids liked POP.
To be quite frank I think they should give us huge ticket discounts like 50% off and much better dining options.

Disney’s sales pitch usually says you will save money over similar accommodations paid in cash. So, considering the ridiculous price Disney charges for a DVC room for a cash customer, its pretty hard not to save money. There is no guarantee to save money over accommodations of another variety, be they value, off site, or other time shares.

That being said, if they do get rid of the AP discount, they’ll be losing some of my money at least. I was planning on adding on points in the next couple of years. Because of the AP discount, we’ve started travelling twice per calendar year or about 11 ½ months apart, but doing so has made us stretch with the points we have available. I had planned on adding points so I could easily afford a 1BR for 1 week twice per calendar year. But if I need to go back to park hoppers, I will likely also return to vacationing 16-18 months apart so that I can refresh my point totals every few years.

Seems like it wouldn’t be a great idea for Disney if I am any measure of the average owner who recently purchased points. Unless thy are banking on owners who have already over purchased needing to use their points regardless, I would think this would cost them more than it would save.

NormC

I do not know who sold you your Disney Vacation Club time share, but when I purchased mine there was no guarantee of discount that you want. I was told what the discounts at the time where and that they may or may not continue. Some are better now, some are not as good and others remain about the same.
I agree and I never said there were any guarantees given.
You seem to be wanting more than what you paid for and might be wise to sell now and stay at value resorts.
I think you are reading more than what I wrote.

NormC

Disney’s sales pitch usually says you will save money over similar accommodations paid in cash. So, considering the ridiculous price Disney charges for a DVC room for a cash customer, its pretty hard not to save money. There is no guarantee to save money over accommodations of another variety, be they value, off site, or other time shares.

That being said, if they do get rid of the AP discount, they’ll be losing some of my money at least. I was planning on adding on points in the next couple of years. Because of the AP discount, we’ve started travelling twice per calendar year or about 11 ½ months apart, but doing so has made us stretch with the points we have available. I had planned on adding points so I could easily afford a 1BR for 1 week twice per calendar year. But if I need to go back to park hoppers, I will likely also return to vacationing 16-18 months apart so that I can refresh my point totals every few years.

Seems like it wouldn’t be a great idea for Disney if I am any measure of the average owner who recently purchased points. Unless thy are banking on owners who have already over purchased needing to use their points regardless, I would think this would cost them more than it would save.
Exactly.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I want to add points so that we can go more often and stay longer but I will not until they increase the discounts we get. If they take away the discounts I may sell my points. As a DVC owner I was told it would save me money. I can get great deals with free dining as a non member that sometimes work out cheaper that what it cost us to use our points. Grated it may be at a value resort like POP but my kids liked POP.
I don't see them ever offering much in the way of regular ticket discounts, other than that already offered (4 day non-park hopper comes to mind). Oh, and you probably already know this, but please remember that you must buy a package at full rack rate for the room, with admission tickets to get the "free" dining. And if you're OK with staying in a value resort, then maybe DVC really isn't for you. Just saying.

I am really surprised that they would remove the discount on the AP precisely because as you said.

I imagine it like this:

If Disney gives a discount just to hopper tickets then a person with DVC, that person would more inclined to come one a year and grab a ticket package to match the days on the DVC.

However, if Disney gives a deep discount to the AP then the person will buy one and then enjoy the parks. However, after they leave using the DVC points they will still have that AP tempting the person to come back. So they might...and then spend more more both from the resort stay and any merchandise, food, etc.

For that reason I would be surprised if they removed it. As a kid I remember getting a premium annual pass that discounts to food and such, and the result is that even though my family "saved" money we still spent a lot more.

yedliW

I am pretty new to the DVC, my wife had it when we got married, so I haven't even been through the tour. I am picking it up as we go along, but it almost seems that they are taking DVC members for granted.. they already have our money, and know they will be getting it until the contract expires.. either from us, or whomever we rent out our points to that year..

That said, I think they should be doing more to advertize the perks of DVC.. either with deep discounts for either the dining plan.. park tickets.. AP.. etc.. or even smaller things like exclusive MB colors/designs only available to DVC members on DVC stays (not available to renters either.. a members only sort of thing). Or what about decent prices on DVC branded clothing? How about a hat or windbreaker or sweatshirt or something that we can wear around to advertize for the program? Things like that doesn't cost a ton of $$, and could have longer lasting benefits of more members in the future.

We did get the magnets in the mail a couple months ago, but most people who aren't members know what the initials 'DVC' represent.

They should also make it easier (and more cost/points efficient) to use points on the non DVC (WDW area) resorts and DCL. It is often much better to rent/sell your points for a year and pay cash for those sorts of things.

Phonedave

I am pretty new to the DVC, my wife had it when we got married, so I haven't even been through the tour. I am picking it up as we go along, but it almost seems that they are taking DVC members for granted..

Some points

they already have our money, and know they will be getting it until the contract expires.. either from us, or whomever we rent out our points to that year..

They have your money (and profit) from the original sale of the contract when you (or your wife) bought it. DVC makes no money off of your yearly dues. If DVC stopped selling contracts (either new properties, or ones acquired via ROFR) then they would have a 0 profit. In fact, they would be in the red, because dues do not cover the sales employees. Your dues, by law, cover expenses at the property you own at - that is all.

That said, I think they should be doing more to advertize the perks of DVC.. either with deep discounts for either the dining plan.. park tickets.. AP.. etc.. or even smaller things like exclusive MB colors/designs only available to DVC members on DVC stays (not available to renters either.. a members only sort of thing).

Why? They clearly do enough advertising as it is. As far as discounts are concerned, that has to be worked out between the various departments involved. If DVC wants to offer a "deep discount" on dining, that money has to come from somewhere - either the DVC operating budget, or from food services budget. It will not come from member dues (as it is not a resort expense). Food services has no incentive to provide a discount. the restaurants are packed as it is, thanks to the DDP. DVC is doing just fine with sales, it has no reason to attempt to further entice people to buy with dining discounts (especially when a large percentage of people use the DDP, so discounts would not even apply)

Or what about decent prices on DVC branded clothing? How about a hat or windbreaker or sweatshirt or something that we can wear around to advertize for the program? Things like that doesn't cost a ton of $$, and could have longer lasting benefits of more members in the future.

We did get the magnets in the mail a couple months ago, but most people who aren't members know what the initials 'DVC' represent.

They should also make it easier (and more cost/points efficient) to use points on the non DVC (WDW area) resorts and DCL. It is often much better to rent/sell your points for a year and pay cash for those sorts of things.

They do have a whole DVC merchandise store on line. As for decent prices .... well nothing WDW sells is decently priced, so take that for what it's worth.

I don't know the reason for the poor value points get outside of DVC resorts, but with a robust rental market out there, it really does not pose a problem. I suspect it again has to do with lost revenue potential between business units.

-dave

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
if they go to the 4 day 4 park ticket discount and get rid of the annual pass discount... they are going to lose some people and/or keep people from signing up.

the 4 day 4 park ticket is a joke anyways... can't go to the same park twice in those 4 days, no hopper, what are we going to do now restrict dvc members on park visitations or something? lol

tjkraz

That said, I think they should be doing more to advertize the perks of DVC.. either with deep discounts for either the dining plan.. park tickets.. AP.. etc.. or even smaller things like exclusive MB colors/designs only available to DVC members on DVC stays (not available to renters either.. a members only sort of thing).

Main question is....why? What does DVC / Disney have to gain by giving "deep discounts" on anything?

Or what about decent prices on DVC branded clothing? How about a hat or windbreaker or sweatshirt or something that we can wear around to advertize for the program? Things like that doesn't cost a ton of $$, and could have longer lasting benefits of more members in the future.

They have given-out many branded items over the years. Baseball caps are almost always given at member gatherings. Tote bags, luggage tags, trading pins and lanyards are other popular items that immediately come to mind.

Don't hold out for any big ticket items. Not only are they expensive to produce and distribute but many recipients will never use them. Then it becomes a complete waste of money.

There are around 150-200K member families. Given all of the sales kiosks, bus signs, TV commercials and other DVC literature scattered around Walt Disney World, I doubt they would get much value from spending $3-4 million on free windbreakers.

yedliW

I'm not looking for free anything. It would be nice to maybe once a year or so get a sweatshirt or windbreaker or something closer to cost. At the kind of volumes Disney buys merch at, their wholesale cost for a windbreaker or sweatshirt is probably $10 or $15.

as far as what does Disney / DVC have to gain from discounts? It gets people in the parks. once there, we will spending money on food etc.. As it was said previously, there is little if any profit made from dues. Unused points are not making them anything.

It just seems that all the advertisements, makes it look like DVC is some sort of exclusive club, when in reality, all you are doing is pre-paying for a handful of resorts. It seems that they could put some effort to keeping people more than just satisfied with the not insignificant purchase they have made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom