2015 Photo Contests

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
Original Poster
It's time to start thinking about next year's contests!

Over the next week or so, I will go back through this year's contests, looking at what topics were popular and what didn't go over so well. I will also start brainstorming for some new topic ideas.

This is where you come in - what would you like to see next year? What changes would you be interested in? What ideas for topics do you have? I may not be able to implement everything, but I would like to hear what you have to say. If you don't want to post it here, feel free to send me a PM.

I would like to have the list posted for next year before many people start their holiday trips, so the sooner the better!

Thank you for your participation this year and I'm looking forward to next year!

Nemo14

First of all, thanks again for keeping this going. It's always fun to see what some of our fellow Magic members come up with. That being said, the contests that I didn't think went over too well for me anyway were the Bokeh, the Oops, and the Fisheye one. I think not too many of us knew what constitutes true Bokeh (but I enjoyed learning about it), the Ooops ones were probably not that popular because we generally delete our mistakes, and the Fisheye might just be my own personal opinion of those type of shots.

As far as suggestions for next year, I think maybe a "Favorite Quiet Spot", or "Favorite Souvenir", or maybe "Photos from the Past" or something like that? I'll think about some more for you too.

Again, thanks for all you do to keep this going. Much appreciated!

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
Original Poster
I would agree about Fisheye - I thought there might be more entries, but since it requires a special lens I really didn't know how many people would have one. I liked the Bokeh contest because it really did seem like everyone was learning together. Some entries really didn't have the effect, but no one argued any of the entries. The Silliness contest had very low participation, I don't know if that one will return next year. I'm still working on that and with the crazy work week I have this week, I may not get very far until next weekend.

Thank you for your suggestions! What does everyone else have to say?

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
Original Poster
Bumping this thread to add that I would like suggestions by this weekend. Sometime on Sunday I will work on the calendar, so if you have a topic idea please post it before then.

Thanks and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

CAPTAIN HOOK

More suggestions (some may already have been included in the lists) -

Fireworks
On ride photos (like that idea) - not the type you pay Disney for taking either
Characters at meal times
Night-time shots
Monorail

JN3VA

I like the ridge photos idea - maybe there could be a ride photo "month" with one park per week.
For a ride photo contest it might be good to distinguish dark ride vs non since dark rides are so much harder to shoot. Maybe pick a specific ride: View from the Safari, View from the Transit Authority, or Best Big Thunder fly-by.

A few other ideas

Candid parade crowd photos - interesting or funny photos of people in a parade crowd (or even just the masses as you walk about.)

For the processing contest - maybe include before and after for comparisons of the editing or make the editing themed - e.g. "I removed that (or them)"; or making colors pop or merging two photos to create a completely new scene of something that wasn't really there but could have been.

Disney Details - All the little details in the queues, around the resorts and in the restaurants. maybe this could be a week where there are actually 2 or 3 "sub-contests" run at the same time and people can post one picture to each Disney Details theme category. (enter one, two or all of the categories). Double or even triple the fun for that week!

Building on Fractal's "best castle shot" idea - maybe best park marquis / entrance photo

Uncle Orville

I think on ride photos would be good.
First trip to disney world (in this one you shouldn't have to have taken the picture).
Ride evacuation photos.
I think disney mistakes was a good one last year.
Quotes from around the park.
Hidden mickeys.
Also maybe hidden mickeys in real life (so these wouldn't be at disney unless it isn't actually supposed to be a hidden mickey there).
I also liked the rain at disney contest from this year.
Those are my ideas. For rules, I think the rule that you have to personally take the picture should be removed because I don't take a whole lot of pictures I could use for the contest, but if I could use my moms pictures I would be able to be in more contests :). I think as long as a family member takes it and not a cast member (except for the on ride pictures) the contest would be better. I hope you take my input :)!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
  • Laughter - I think that one could be a really fun contest
  • Crying Children - kind of the opposite, but many a crying child is laughing later on and there's always a crying child somewhere at WDW
  • Unexpected Animals - nature intruding upon Disney's carefully constructed world i.e. alligators, love bugs, birds stealing food...
  • Did they really wear that to the parks? - would be a lot of fun, but I could see other people getting upset over it.

JN3VA

>> Did they really wear that to the parks?

Maybe a variant of this could be most interesting or unique park guest or something. That way its does not necessarily have a negative spin. I'd feel really bad myself if I showed up in someone's entry for a worst dressed contest :)

JN3VA

One more after thought -

Maybe best Hawaiian shirt at Disney contest....? That way maybe I WILL show up in someone's entry :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom