NFL 2014 Discussion Thread

NYwdwfan

Watching at ESPN or your room?

Depends who is playing. If the Broncos are in it again, hubby is going to want to give the game his full attention so probably in the room (although that did NOT work out well last year). Possibly the lounge at YC (Martha's Vineyard - I think it's called?) I guess I don't even need to address how I would watch the game if the Jets are in it.

OK stop laughing.

Extra magic hours anyone?

PUSH

Original Poster
JJ Watt named AFC Defensive Player of the Week, and Chris Borland named NFC Defensive Player of the Week. What a week for football in Wisconsin. The Packers dominate, Melvin Gordon breaks the record for most rushing yards in a single game in NCAA history, and JJ Watt and Chris Borland (Wisconsin alumni) have amazing weeks!

PUSH

Original Poster
Since I'm bored, I'm going to do a new playoff prediction now that the season is heading into its last regular season leg...

NFC
1. Cardinals
2. Packers
3. Cowboys
4. Falcons
5. Lions
6. Seahawks

The Cardinals would have to drop at least two more games for the Packers or Lions to go into tiebreaker scenarios, and I don't see that happening especially if the Lions or Packers drop a game to New England or each other at the end of the season.

I chose the Cowboys over the Eagles just because I don't trust Sanchez to lead them to the post season.

The Falcons could potentially be the worst team to make it to the post season in NFL history. At 4-6, if they split the games 3-3 the rest of the way, they're already tied for the worst at 7-9.

The Lions and Packers will likely be fighting for the 2nd seed in the season finale. Either team would have to fall two full games behind for that game to be meaningless, and with 6 games to go and relatively easy schedules, that shouldn't happen.

The Seahawks I pick to win more games than the 49ers and Eagles going forward.

AFC
1. Patriots
2. Broncos
3. Colts
4. Bengals
5. Chiefs
6. Steelers

The Patriots are clearly the hottest team in the AFC right now, and they shouldn't get anything less than the 1st seed unless they have a major collapse.

The Broncos have been semi-sluggish in recent weeks, but they have enough talent to go #2 in the AFC.

The Colts are up and down, but I see Andrew Luck leading them to enough wins to out-win the Bengals.

I picked the Bengals to win the AFC North because, while all teams are inconsistent in that division, I think Cincinnati has the most talent.

I picked Pittsburgh and Kansas City for the wild card spots because I don't think Cleveland has enough offensive fire power to win just enough. And Baltimore is so up and down. Then there's the Dolphins who are a pretty good team when Tannehill is playing well, but until he plays that way week-in and week-out, I can't put them in the playoffs.

And while I'm at it, let's do the top 3 MVP candidates.

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. JJ Watt
3. Tom Brady

Rodgers is in the prime of his career, having a better season than he did in 2011 when he had arguably the best season ever for a NFL quarterback. He's leading his team in incredible ways and it's amazing how calm he is in the most critical situations. As of right now, I don't see anyone who would be a close second.

JJ Watt is having not only another dominant defensive year, but also making plays on offense. He's the best defender in the league, and it looks like he might be a pretty solid TE too.

Tom Brady is leading arguably the hottest team in the league right now (only other team to consider is Green Bay), and he doesn't flinch after a mistake. The reason he's behind Rodgers is because he's actually had to recover from mistakes. However, he's playing well enough to be considered elite, despite his slow start to the season. It's amazing how he's able to lead a team while losing offensive talent every year.

NYwdwfan

From NY Newsday regarding Bills/Jets Game Sunday:

Gov. Andrew Cuomo says it would be "impractical" at this time for the Buffalo Bills to host the New York Jets on Sunday because of a lake-effect snowstorm that continues to hit the region.

Cuomo spoke Thursday morning after spending the past day touring communities south of Buffalo, including the Bills home in Orchard Park. The storm has dumped more than 5 feet of snow since Monday night, with another 1 to 2 feet projected to fall by Friday.

On Wednesday, Bills Vice President of Operations Andy Major wasn't sure whether there was enough time to clear the stadium and grounds of the estimated 220,000 tons of snow by Sunday.

The NFL has not yet determined whether the game will be postponed or potentially relocated.

NYwdwfan

Per Adam Schefter via Twitter:
  • Forget about Sun in Buffalo. Bills “will be hard pressed to get stadium ready for the next home game (Sun. Nov. 30 vs Browns)", per source.
  • Bills coaches are preparing with the belief that the game vs. Jets will be moved to Monday night in Detroit, Pittsburgh or Washington.

NYwdwfan

B26VMcTIAAECsJd.jpg

NYwdwfan

No big surprise - Jets/Bills game called off. No information on rescheduling yet. Clearly bigger problems in Buffalo right now than football. Hoping everyone is OK.

afar28

Didn't get in my pick for the Thursday game, but I would've picked KC so it turns out it doesn't matter. Don't know how KC can go from playing so good to so bad

acishere

Oakland finally gets a win... and now my pick for the Chiefs to make the post season looks foolish.
I was thinking they might even knock Denver off the top spot in their division. But I still think the Chiefs are going to get in the playoffs.

jw24

I was thinking they might even knock Denver off the top spot in their division. But I still think the Chiefs are going to get in the playoffs.

They won't get in the playoffs without improving their passing game. If Charles goes down, I think they're finished.

PUSH

Original Poster
I haven't been keeping up with scores other than the Packers and Lions today, but wow! This has been an amazing day of picks for me! Stupid Chiefs losing to the Raiders. Otherwise I'd be perfect!!

jw24

I'm fuming...again! The Giants defense choked! I'm really starting to think JPP is a bust because he's not an impact player anymore! They let Dez Bryant go all over them! I swear to heavens he will be the highest paid WR in the league and make more than Megatron! Guaranteed! This defense is so bad that I believe Tennessee and Jacksonville will put 80 points each against these weaklings in the coming games! And Eli, ugh, that one pick that led to straight to points cost us the game! Beckham's great game was for nothing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom