Is Butterbeer dairy-free?

disney_exotic101

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's input. Yesterday I sent an email to Universals and they told me in the email that butterbeer DOES contain dairy.

I wanna cry now. :arghh:

Disneyhead'71

Just curious, where did you get this information from? Because I just emailed Universal and the Chef there emailed me back said that butterbeer does contain dairy.
It was from an interview with Chief Chef Steve Jayson, who was saying that they wanted as many people coming to UOR as possible to be able to enjoy Butterbeer. And that JK Rowling refused the use of High Fructose Corn Sweetener.

It has actually been reported in many places that Butterbeer is Non-Dairy. I am surprised at Uni's email.

disney_exotic101

Original Poster
It was from an interview with Chief Chef Steve Jayson, who was saying that they wanted as many people coming to UOR as possible to be able to enjoy Butterbeer. And that JK Rowling refused the use of High Fructose Corn Sweetener.

It has actually been reported in many places that Butterbeer is Non-Dairy. I am surprised at Uni's email.

Yeah I know which article you are referring to, I read that myself. But now I am a bit confused from the email that I received from Universals. :bored:

Does anyone have any thoughts????

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The 407 number I listed on the first page is the one Uni lists specifically on their site to call for dietary questions and concerns.

You could try giving it a call.

Both my kids are allergic to dairy, so I'm familiar with this and attempting to find dairy-free foods/drinks.
There is a huge difference between lactose-free and dairy-free when it comes to an individual with a dairy allergy and can easily get mixed up.
Lactose is only one ingredient within milk which is the sugar component of milk. So if something is lactose-free, it is not dairy-free, therefore it would be okay only for an individual that is lactose-intolerant. Something that is dairy-free, would be okay for someone that is lactose intolerant or has a dairy allergy since that would mean all components of the milk are not within the food item.

disney_exotic101

Original Poster
http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...t-universal-orlando-made-butterbeer-real.aspx

That is what Jim Hill wrote about it and I think the confusion comes in here

Butterbeer is lactose free and made with real sugar not corn syrup so most would consider lactose free to be ok for those with dairy allergies. Only you know your own body and what you can eat. I would love to try a pina colada but I am allergic to coconut.

I understand the difference between lactose and dairy allergy. But in the article, it says, "Universal Orlando wanted as many guests as possible to be able to sample this brew (and that included the lactose intolerant), there could be no butter, or dairy products of any kind, in Butterbeer."

It says it for lactose intolerant OR dairy products. So, should does this mean lactose and dairy allergy individuals??

disney_exotic101

Original Poster
Both my kids are allergic to dairy, so I'm familiar with this and attempting to find dairy-free foods/drinks.
There is a huge difference between lactose-free and dairy-free when it comes to an individual with a dairy allergy and can easily get mixed up.
Lactose is only one ingredient within milk which is the sugar component of milk. So if something is lactose-free, it is not dairy-free, therefore it would be okay only for an individual that is lactose-intolerant. Something that is dairy-free, would be okay for someone that is lactose intolerant or has a dairy allergy since that would mean all components of the milk are not within the food item.

I know the difference between the two. I am very knowledgeable when it comes to this subject since I have a dairy allergy. I do extensive research before I eat anything. I just need other input who have tried or ask about this. I have already emailed them about this. But I will probably call also.

Bairstow

I've got a minor lactose intolerance and frozen butterbeer with the whipped cream was enough to cause minor discomfort. I actually tried to order the stuff without the cream and the employee operating the machine adamantly refused to leave it off, citing "trademark issues". Despite the fact that her grasp on US intellectual property laws was tenuous at best, she absolutely insisted on squirting a bunch of the stuff into my cup.
Good stuff but, yeah, if dairy is an issue it's a no-go.

Same goes for fishy green ale, I'm afraid, though to a lesser extent.

On the bright side, gilly water is a go, as is pumpkin juice and orange fizz.
If you're old enough, though, I'd recommend Dragon Scale. It's the best theme-park-specific beer I've had yet.

Last edited:

disney_exotic101

Original Poster
I've got a minor lactose intolerance and frozen butterbeer with the whipped cream was enough to cause minor discomfort. I actually tried to order the stuff without the cream and the employee operating the machine adamantly refused to leave it off, citing "trademark issues". Despite the fact that her grasp on US intellectual property laws was tenuous at best, she absolutely insisted on squirting a bunch of the stuff into my cup.
Good stuff but, yeah, if dairy is an issue it's a no-go.

Same goes for fishy green ale, I'm afraid, though to a lesser extent.

On the bright side, gilly water is a go, as is pumpkin juice and orange fizz.
If you're old enough, though, I'd recommend Dragon Scale. It's the best theme-park-specific beer I've had yet.

Thank you so much for your input.:D Very very helpful!!! I will keep your advice in mind when I go.

Sorry about your experience with butterbeer but on the bright side there are other things to sample.:hungry:

s8film40

I had the hot Butter beer a couple days ago, I found it interesting that they actually asked each person they gave it to if they had dairy allergies. Someone asked the lady serving them and she said for the hot Butterbber they have to ask that each time but not for the cold.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom