Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

JT3000

I hope there's potential for that. I would love a Godzilla attraction. I like the look of the 2005 movie too but I'm thinking it makes the most sense to base it off the new movie that will be coming out the same year the ride opens. I also don't want to see King Kong v. Godzilla. Shortest movie ever. One stomp and Kong is squashed like a bug :p

IMO it shouldn't matter, because Universal/Legendary should be basing the Skull Island movie off the 2005 version anyway. No sense in starting from scratch.

Oh, and it actually lasted an hour and a half. :hilarious:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Kong_vs._Godzilla

MerlinTheGoat

I'll be pleasantly surprised and quite happy if there are some nice AA's in the actual ride (not counting any in the queue) but I do not expect there to be many (if any). WDW1974 said quite recently that he expects the ride to be mostly screen based, and whylightbulb also said earlier this year that screens would be the general direction he expects Universal to go towards in future attractions (at least the current trend). Given Gringotts and most other recent major Universal attractions being almost entirely screen based with effectively no animatronics in the actual ride portion, i'm kind of inclined to believe Kong will follow suit until some sort of evidence to the contrary. Will again be a very nice surprise if there are some, but we'll see. Gringotts was supposedly going to have more physical elements in the ride portion initially before slashes occurred. There has apparently been a desire within Universal Creative to get back to more physical elements in the rides including AA's (according to whylightbulb and again WDW1974), but higher more powerful executives seem to be more interested in keeping things video based in the present and near future...

Could someone provide a link or some kind of source about the ride using lots of animatronics? A source that isn't screamscape preferably given their incredibly poor track record.

Last edited:

Mike S

Original Poster
More pictures from darkridelover on Orlando United.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

JT3000

WDW1974 said quite recently that he expects the ride to be mostly screen based, and whylightbulb also said earlier this year that screens would be the general direction he expects Universal to go towards in future attractions

How much farther can they possibly go in that direction? If you keep heading north, you will eventually start to go south...

TalkingHead

Looking at it from the ground in Toon Lagoon and JP, the building appears massive. I wasn't prepared for how big it was going to look in person. After seeing them turn a soundstage into Transformers, turn Jaws into DA and turn this "unused" plot of land into Kong, I think we can safely say Universal has mastered the art of using their available space.

Mike S

Original Poster
Looking at it from the ground in Toon Lagoon and JP, the building appears massive. I wasn't prepared for how big it was going to look in person. After seeing them turn a soundstage into Transformers, turn Jaws into DA and turn this "unused" plot of land into Kong, I think we can safely say Universal has mastered the art of using their available space.
Makes me think of how Disney has maximized their available space out in Disneyland but obviously not to the same extent, yet. I wonder when they'll use that huge space next to MIB over at USF.

JT3000

Now if they'd just master the art of properly themed sightlines. That's my one worry with this attraction.

misterID

How much farther can they possibly go in that direction? If you keep heading north, you will eventually start to go south...
Yeah they're already getting a backlash with the screens. Whylightbulb did say there are plans for future attractions that involve real dark rides with AAs but there's not one plan that doesn't involve screens.

misterID

I'll be pleasantly surprised and quite happy if there are some nice AA's in the actual ride (not counting any in the queue) but I do not expect there to be many (if any). WDW1974 said quite recently that he expects the ride to be mostly screen based, and whylightbulb also said earlier this year that screens would be the general direction he expects Universal to go towards in future attractions (at least the current trend). Given Gringotts and most other recent major Universal attractions being almost entirely screen based with effectively no animatronics in the actual ride portion, i'm kind of inclined to believe Kong will follow suit until some sort of evidence to the contrary. Will again be a very nice surprise if there are some, but we'll see. Gringotts was supposedly going to have more physical elements in the ride portion initially before slashes occurred. There has apparently been a desire within Universal Creative to get back to more physical elements in the rides including AA's (according to whylightbulb and again WDW1974), but higher more powerful executives seem to be more interested in keeping things video based in the present and near future...

Could someone provide a link or some kind of source about the ride using lots of animatronics? A source that isn't screamscape preferably given their incredibly poor track record.
I believe the AA news was from @HTF.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom