Arabian themed hotel?

BrianV

Original Poster
Does anyone remember this?

As a kid back in the 70's I remember staying in one of the disney hotels and there was a large map of what was then all of disney world. It included the poly, the contemporary, the golf resort, the magic kingdom, the TTC, AND an Arabian themed resort...that clearly doesn't exist and was never built. I presume it was never built due to geopolitical issues, and I think that the grand Floridian may have been built where it was depicted.

Does any one remember this of have a copy of this picture? Or any details? Was this merely morphed into the GF hotel? I can see the picture in my mind pretty vividly though it is now many years ago.

Sage of Time

You're talking about the Persian hotel. Never built, lots of plans. A simple google search should answer most questions. :)

persian-hotel.jpg

http://bit.ly/153gD4P

BrianV

Original Poster
Awesome. Thanks, both. I'd looked but hadn't thought to look up "Persian".

I'll have to see if I can find the map I was thinking of. I never knew about the Asian or Venetian hotels either. Some fun googling for later today.

JohnD

Of course, the GF is now where the map shows where the Asian was planned. The Persian is the MK docks and backstage facility and the Venetian is still empty land. But after the 1979 Iranian Hostage Crisis, it's safe to say the Persian was off the drawing board.

BrianV

Original Poster
Thanks again, this must have been the map. But I don't recall seeing the other hotels. Maybe my memory is in fact a little fuzzier than I than I thought.

map102938LARGE.jpg

Matt_Black

Well, considering that U.S.-Iranian relations are improving slowly but surely (admittedly VERY slowly, though progress has been made), maybe someday we will see this.

sbkline

Besides any possible geopolitical situations mentioned, I remember reading that part of the reason that these other hotels were never built was because of the ground itself. Apparently, they started trying to build one of them, but everything just kept sinking into the ground, so they had to give up the project.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Besides any possible geopolitical situations mentioned, I remember reading that part of the reason that these other hotels were never built was because of the ground itself. Apparently, they started trying to build one of them, but everything just kept sinking into the ground, so they had to give up the project.
My recollection as well.

BalooChicago

Apparently, they started trying to build one of them, but everything just kept sinking into the ground, so they had to give up the project.

There is no such thing as unbuildable land, it's merely more expensive to build on due to more complex foundation systems. At some point, as/if the resort uses up the easily built upon land the more difficult locations may become economically viable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom