Breakfast: Which Cafe? Kona Cafe or Whispering Canyon Cafe

JohnD

Original Poster
Here we go again with another "Or" thread. I currently have an ADR for breakfast at Kona Cafe on 12/2 at 10:10 am. There is also an ADR available for Whispering Canyon Cafe about the same time.

I've been to Kona and love it. Should I try Whispering Canyon?

(I'm in no rush that morning. I'm exploring the Christmas decorations in the MK resorts. Entering MK late afternoon for MVMCP.)

JohnD

Original Poster
Having been to both I probably prefer Kona, but WCC is very good and if, like you, I had never been, but had been to Kona, I would pick WCC just to try something new. For us, a big part of the fun is trying new places.

The funny thing is that I have a dinner ADR at Artist Point on 11/29. Prior to that, I've never been in WL. If I go with the breakfast ADR on 12/2, I can really say I have explored that resort.

Tinkerbell397

Don't forget about The Grand Floridian Cafe. My preference would be
1. Grand Floridian Cafe
2. Kona Cafe
and a distant 3rd.......Whispering Canyons.
Whispering Canyons is just not my cup of tea.
The Grand Floridian Cafe would give you the opportunity to enjoy the GF decorated for Christmas.
Have a Magical Trip :cat:

zurgandfriend

Don't forget about The Grand Floridian Cafe. My preference would be
1. Grand Floridian Cafe
2. Kona Cafe
and a distant 3rd.......Whispering Canyons.
Whispering Canyons is just not my cup of tea.
The Grand Floridian Cafe would give you the opportunity to enjoy the GF decorated for Christmas.
Have a Magical Trip :cat:

Totally agree with this post, but Whispering Canyon can be really fun some days so you might want to give it a try.

JohnD

Original Poster
I was going to explore the MK resorts and their decorations regardless in the morning. I'm now leaning toward Whispering Canyon. My route would be this:
1. Bus from POR to MK
2. Boat from MK to WL
3. ADR at Whispering Canyon (explore WL)
4. Boat from WL to MK
5. Monorail from MK to CR, Poly, and GF. Stop and explore at each. Return to MK monorail station.
7. Bus back to POR for downtime
8. Return to MK approx 3:30 for MVMCP

Follow up question: I've heard it can be loud with all the kids running around. At least you may not want to get a dinner ADR there if you're looking for something quiet. What about breakfast?

Last edited:

Tinkerbell397

@JohnD .....you can take a boat directly from The WL to The CR. When you go to the boat ramp, the boat on your left as you walk down will take you to the MK (via Fort Wilderness I think) and the boat on your right as you walk down the ramp will take you to The CR. Then from The CR.....you can hop the monorail to the Poly and GF. Just another option. I was there last week and the gingerbread house in the lobby of the GF was just being constructed. Enjoy! :cat:

plaz10

I prefer Kona to Whispering Canyon - but I am eating at WC in December because it gives me an excuse to go to WL to see their decorations which otherwise I wouldn't go through the trouble of a non monorail MK resort.

JohnD

Original Poster
@JohnD .....you can take a boat directly from The WL to The CR. When you go to the boat ramp, the boat on your left as you walk down will take you to the MK (via Fort Wilderness I think) and the boat on your right as you walk down the ramp will take you to The CR. Then from The CR.....you can hop the monorail to the Poly and GF. Just another option. I was there last week and the gingerbread house in the lobby of the GF was just being constructed. Enjoy! :cat:

Thank you!

JohnD

Original Poster
I prefer Kona to Whispering Canyon - but I am eating at WC in December because it gives me an excuse to go to WL to see their decorations which otherwise I wouldn't go through the trouble of a non monorail MK resort.

If I didn't already have an ADR at Artist Point for dinner on 11/29 this would be a no-brainer. But this would be my second visit during my trip.

JohnD

Original Poster
I think I'll wait to decide 11/29 after I have dinner at Artist Point. My current Kona breakfast ADR is on 12/2. I may decide I've seen enough of the resort and don't need to come back.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I've eaten breakfast at both places and vastly prefer Kona for the menu. WCC serves standard breakfast fare that you can get anywhere, while Kona (as you know) does lovely things like Macadamia Nut Pancakes, the Samoan, and Tonga Toast. :hungry:

There's no denying the Wilderness Lodge is a gorgeous. You will want plenty of time to see all the sights in that majestic lobby! Since you were planning on doing some resort touring that day anyway, you could eat at Kona and still include a tour of the WL in your plans by doing the monorail resorts first, ending at the CR, and then getting the boat over to WL and back to CR.

GOT2SAMMIES

We did kona for breakfast and WCc for lunch this past trip... I really liked WCc our server wasn't into the antics though.. To save time we just took a cab from POR to WL..only 10 minute ride Only cost us 13.70 for 6 of us! That way we didn't rush to our ressie.. Then we took the boat back to mk and the bus from mk to POR..That took about 40 minutes to an hour but we had time to kill

DisneyDebNJ

Having been to both I probably prefer Kona, but WCC is very good and if, like you, I had never been, but had been to Kona, I would pick WCC just to try something new. For us, a big part of the fun is trying new places.
We did both a few weeks ago. WCC was very good, but we prefered Kona Cafe. When we go to Kona, one of us gets the tonga toast, the other gets the big kahuna.. Both are big enough to share too!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom