What did you do?

JillC LI

I'm baaack! Took 5 days off running and had an amazing Bat Mitzvah weekend with my daughter. She made us so proud. And then we partied! As soon as I get the photos back from the photographer, I'll post them on my FB page for those who are Friends with me there. Anyway, I'm still catching up on sleep, but I jumped on the TM this morning (given the frigid temps with wind chill in the teens) for a 3.5 mile run with hill work. Caught up on General Hospital while I was at it :)

dreamfinder

So I haven't done anything longer than a 5 mi run in the last 3 weeks. And that was one run, everything else has been 2 mi or shorter. But I think I have a good excuse. My DW and I now have an entrant into the diaper dash/kids races whenever we next make it back to WDW. : ) Get to add a new medal to the family collection. That was also the driving reason behind my relative taper over the last year. So for a little while at least I will have to live vicariously through everyone elses race reports until I can start to get enough sleep to get a consistent schedule in.

LindsayLoves

@dreamfinder - congratulations to you and your wife!

@JillC LI - congratulations to your daughter on her Bat Mitzvah! (I just sent you a FB friend request)

Yesterday was my first run with temps in the 20s, it was brisk and windy but I survived my 5.25ish miles with a pace just under 8:50/mi. Today its even colder and I plan to run home from work, hopefully the wind on the east river doesn't destroy me.

LindsayLoves

I did 8 miles this AM at 22F. My water bottles froze up at mile 6. I hate cold weather but it's amazing how much easier running is for me.

I discovered that the water fountains on my regular route were turned off during my 8 miles last Sunday, time to start packing once again...

JillC LI

My DW and I now have an entrant into the diaper dash/kids races whenever we next make it back to WDW. : )

Congratulations! Sleep will return eventually. Enjoy your little one.

@JillC LI - congratulations to your daughter on her Bat Mitzvah! (I just sent you a FB friend request)

Yesterday was my first run with temps in the 20s, it was brisk and windy but I survived my 5.25ish miles with a pace just under 8:50/mi. Today its even colder and I plan to run home from work, hopefully the wind on the east river doesn't destroy me.

Just confirmed your request. You are brave for running outdoors yesterday. It was brutal just walking the dog. Today is bitter cold too but at least there's no wind by me on Long Island. Sunday should be nice again, they say.

Mad Stitch

After a week off following the W&D, it was back to running last night. With the snow and ice now here I have begun my winter treadmill routine. A short and slow 3 miles at a 9:50 pace as I get the feel for treadmill running again. I'm also planning my race calendar for 2015. Top prospects are the RnR Vegas and the Hershey Half.

dreamfinder

Thanks for the congrats everyone! Appreciate it.
Got 1 1/2 @6:58 in today.
Watched Kona last night on UHD, and it yet again reignited that nagging thought in the back of mind that I should do a 70.3. Anyone ever trained for one of those want to put it in relation to training for Goofy or Dopey?

bethram

@dreamfinder Congratulations on the new addition!

I ran 8 miles Saturday, missed Monday because it was pouring, then ran roughly 4 miles each Tuesday, Wednesday, and today. Tuesday and Wednesday were on the verge of being brutally cold, especially for North Georgia in November, I can't remember it ever being this cold this early. Both mornings were close to 20 before windchill, this morning was a balmy 30 in comparison.

Texas84

So I'm supposed to do the Higdon 8-18 this weekend and Sunday is 100% chance of thunderstorms. I'll run in the rain but I draw the line at lightning. Might do 18 on Saturday and skip the 8. What do you all think?

LindsayLoves

So I'm supposed to do the Higdon 8-18 this weekend and Sunday is 100% chance of thunderstorms. I'll run in the rain but I draw the line at lightning. Might do 18 on Saturday and skip the 8. What do you all think?

That is what I would do. I know the point of the 8 is so you run the 18 on tired legs but there are plenty of other chances to do that in this training period so if this is the only one you are skipping I say you'll be fine. Maybe add in some cross-training or strength work on Sunday if you feel bad about missing the miles on Saturday.

Texas84

Decided the 18 was more important so moved it up and skipped the 8. Last two miles right into a 20-mph wind but a strong run. Sunday better be thunder, lightning, floods and famine with a plague of locusts. Obviously kidding but I'm going to bummed if it's not as bad as the forecast says it is. I really wanted to do the 8-18.

Going to see my sister for Thanksgiving and have to take my stuff for a weekend 12. Everyone have a safe holiday!

LindsayLoves

13 miles for me today.
Experienced a first today, went with a new Gu flavor and ended up puking it up 7 miles later :hungover: (sorry if that's TMI) I will be avoiding the Salted Watermelon flavor in the future and very glad I decided to use it today and not for a race.

JillC LI

Ugh @LindsayLoves! Avoid that flavor again.

As for me, 8 miles this morning. Was a freezing 20° but I warmed up after about 15 minutes. Wish I could've run tomorrow instead when it's supposed to be in the 50s again.

a2grafix

After running my eighth half marathon last week (canceled 2013 St. Jude Memphis half), ran 1.75 miles Tuesday in sunny but very windy conditions. Mid50s and I broke a sweat.

Then fast-forward to Saturday I did 7 miles at dusk along the Mississippi River. Actually 7.02 in 75 minutes. Unlike when I smelled winter (and it snowed - a little) a week ago, today I smelled fall. Ran it in about 75 minutes. 66 to start, 62 to finish, light wind. Perfect fall run. Sort of a taper since the 2014 St. Jude Memphis Half is in 2 weeks.

This was part of my view along the Mississippi before it got too dark.

2014-11-22_17-15-57_231.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom