Do you think an Adult only resort will ever happen?

ssidiouss@mac.c

I just tried Cabana Bay over at Universal and it was mostly adults.. a few kids around.. but a totally more adult feel than any DisneyWorld resort that i've stayed at. I would try that resort if your looking for a more adult feel but also want that disney resort feeling.. because it does feel like a deluxe version of Pop Century.. without as many kids ;)

NMBC1993

It's funny this topic came up. I just returned from a 4 day on the Disney Dream and I thought to myself "Wouldn't it be great if they offered an adults-only cruise at least once a year". This last cruise was very interesting as I ran into several couples who have families but decided to leave the kids at home and enjoy a cruise together. This led me to believe that if Disney just offered it, even once a year people would pay for it.

melmel89

I have to say the idea of an adults only section of a hotel would be a great idea and a good compromise. Just hope it wouldn't be charged at a massive premium!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm thinking the wing concept is not going to be good enough. There isn't enough separation. Too many shared common areas. Here's where I'm coming from. I have 2 kids. If I get away with my wife without the kids I want to go somewhere peaceful, relaxing and kid free. I wouldn't consider WDW for this kind of trip now, but if they had a true adults only resort I might consider it. The problem with just having a wing of the hotel adult only is it's hard to enforce. Do you have security guards or gates outside the adult wing? What's to stop someone whose room happens to be closer to the adult pool from bringing their kids to the adult pool? Or stop them from walking through the section of the hotel? An adult only lounge could probably be more easily enforced by bar tenders or wait staff, but the lobby and common areas would still be shared. If I get up in the morning and want to have a relaxing cup of coffee at the quick service restaurant I'm still likely to run into rowdy teens or crying babies.

I just think if you really want to attract adults or couples who don't want to be at a resort with kids you need to make the whole place exclusive to adults. I've stayed at a few bed and breakfasts that had a minimum age. They were peaceful and relaxing from check in to check out.

For the people who say they see adults acting worse than kids, sadly I cannot disagree. However, I have no issue telling an adult or teen to knock it off if they are acting wrong. I'm not gonna tell some poor, crying baby to shut it even if I sometimes want to;).

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm thinking the wing concept is not going to be good enough. There isn't enough separation. Too many shared common areas. Here's where I'm coming from. I have 2 kids. If I get away with my wife without the kids I want to go somewhere peaceful, relaxing and kid free. I wouldn't consider WDW for this kind of trip now, but if they had a true adults only resort I might consider it. The problem with just having a wing of the hotel adult only is it's hard to enforce. Do you have security guards or gates outside the adult wing? What's to stop someone whose room happens to be closer to the adult pool from bringing their kids to the adult pool? Or stop them from walking through the section of the hotel? An adult only lounge could probably be more easily enforced by bar tenders or wait staff, but the lobby and common areas would still be shared. If I get up in the morning and want to have a relaxing cup of coffee at the quick service restaurant I'm still likely to run into rowdy teens or crying babies.

I just think if you really want to attract adults or couples who don't want to be at a resort with kids you need to make the whole place exclusive to adults. I've stayed at a few bed and breakfasts that had a minimum age. They were peaceful and relaxing from check in to check out.

For the people who say they see adults acting worse than kids, sadly I cannot disagree. However, I have no issue telling an adult or teen to knock it off if they are acting wrong. I'm not gonna tell some poor, crying baby to shut it even if I sometimes want to;).
Depends on how they do it. They have an adults only section on the cruise ships, and that seems to work out ok.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Depends on how they do it. They have an adults only section on the cruise ships, and that seems to work out ok.
A cruise ship is more contained than a resort. It's easier to restrict access. Similar to having an adults only lounge at a hotel. They would need gates and/or guards at the resort to enforce an adults only wing of the hotel.

mm121

My GF and I were talking about this idea. Have Mickey's Very Merry Adult's Only Party. The Magic Kingdom is opened from 9pm - 3 am for Drinking and Rides.
if they did do this they would definitely charge a premium for it, as they wouldn't want a repeat of the grad night drama
As MarkTwain and others have mentioned, Disney already does this...their cruise lines intentionally create many adult-only experiences and spaces (beyond drinking and nightclubs) that allow parents and couples to spend quiet time away from kids. And they market this heavily. Not sure why it's a big deal to offer this same experience on land by carving out a portion of a resort for adult?

I think an adult-only wing of a resort with their own pool and hot tub would be fabulous...I'd definitely pay a premium and it has zero to do with being anti-kid. Love seeing kids in the parks; no issues with them everywhere else. But I'd adore a space for adults too. Disney still markets heavily to wedding, honeymoon, and senior couples in niched publications and mail campaigns that the general public doesn't see because it's not part of their main TV ad campaign. Why not offer something like that for these groups - doesn't take a thing away from family market.

they could turn the old river country waterpark, into an adults only spa, pool, possibly a restarant area.

this would give anyone the option to go and utilize it without committing to a full blown hotel.

this could be similar to the areas on the cruise ships

access could be included with on site hotel stays along with a fee could be charged for those staying off property

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
There are more screaming adults then screaming kids. Of course, if the majority actually were good parents and not let their kids be out of hand...
I agree, it is more adults scream'n at kids. Remove the kids from the equation and it would be quieter.
Sorry about that. I was young and stupid...and drunk:cool:

This is why I think the concept really only works as a boutique, upscale hotel. Disney has no desire to build a "spring break" resort with pool parties, wild night clubs and the "individual acts of perversion" that come with it. There is no shot they build a hedonism type resort for adults to go to party. It really has no place at WDW. However, there could be a place for an upscale, adults only hotel. Something that appeals to older couples too, not just the 18 to 25 crowd. I think a hotel like @roj2323 described above with an adult pool where you can grab a drink and relax and an adult lounge without kids is possible. I'm thinking more like a classy, sophisticated hotel instead of a drunk fest with a bunch of older kids partying all night long.

To get back to the original question of if it will ever happen...not likely. The only way I see it happening is if someone else foots the bill. Disney isn't taking a chance on something like this. They don't want to alienate their target demographic.

I don't mind kids in general, I brought mine from the time they were babies to WDW. I hadn't pondered it until tonight though an adult resort would be fantastic. On a whole the places I see kids melt down mostly is in stores, dining and pools. Lets say I'm comfortable with the price point and the resort itself, I think I am in. Not so much to do with families in the parks but the peace and relaxation back at the resort to decompress. I don't see often drunk adults at resorts, not all of us are about getting hammered or are there for Spring Break mayhem, a couple drinks by a pool could be nice or a peaceful swim. And how about a hot tub with out kids. A lounge free of kids would be nice too. Disney is having problems filling the deluxe resorts as it is, turn one of them into an Adult Only resort and I bet it would fill. Yacht comes to mind. I remember the debate when V&A went adult. There are clubs at Boardwalk that have always been adult It really was not a bad idea especially when the vast majority of resorts and DVCs would be family friendly. I'm waiting to see what Disney Springs morphs into and if they to have a sliver of sanctuary. My kids are now adults and I have to say I was pretty careful and respectful to where I took them, they never saw the inside of a lounge, they used inside voices in resorts and sat on their tushies during a meal not running around. If this was the case with all families I wouldn't be so intrigued by this thread.

I would not care to go the a WDW resort without kids around myself. Most of the kids we see there are normal well behaved kids.
I agree, most families are great. During a meal, at a pool or hot tub, in an adjoining room or on a bus it only takes one dysfunctional family to disrupt a pleasant time at a resort. So my first thoughts on the subject is it would cause no harm to have an adult resort 21+ and for those who want the family experience they would have plenty of options.

mm121

Disney is having problems filling the deluxe resorts as it is, turn one of them into an Adult Only resort and I bet it would fill. Yacht comes to mind. I remember the debate when V&A went adult. There are clubs at Boardwalk that have always been adult It really was not a bad idea especially when the vast majority of resorts and DVCs would be family friendly. I'm waiting to see what Disney Springs morphs into and if they to have a sliver of sanctuary. My kids are now adults and I have to say I was pretty careful and respectful to where I took them, they never saw the inside of a lounge, they used inside voices in resorts and sat on their tushies during a meal not running around. If this was the case with all families I wouldn't be so intrigued by this thread.
whats V&A?

rather than turning a whole resort into deluxe, I think it would be better to make an adults only pool/spa/ massage/ relaxation complex

say at river country, that way anyone could use it, and they would sell premium services which would make it possible to have a true calculation of its profit/loss

if they did it at RC, they could have a dedicated boat that would visit all the deluxe hotels,

contemporay, floridian, poly, wilderness lodge, to drop people off in relaxation without dealing with the busses, then busses could drop people off from elsewhere on property

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
whats V&A?

rather than turning a whole resort into deluxe, I think it would be better to make an adults only pool/spa/ massage/ relaxation complex

say at river country, that way anyone could use it, and they would sell premium services which would make it possible to have a true calculation of its profit/loss

if they did it at RC, they could have a dedicated boat that would visit all the deluxe hotels,

contemporay, floridian, poly, wilderness lodge, to drop people off in relaxation without dealing with the busses, then busses could drop people off from elsewhere on property

Victoria & Alberts restaurant

I_heart_Tigger

Just got back and I would love a resort, a wing or an EMH that was adults only.

I was at the hot tub in one of the "quiet" pools one evening until 3 kids about ages 5-10 started playing with squirt guns and footballs --- in the hot tub. Their parents were "watching" from a balcony 3 stories up. (though they seemed more interested in their cell phones and sometimes left and went in the room). After 5 minutes I asked them to stop splashing me. After 10 minutes I was head in the head with a football and I left.

I also caught some kids stealing the towels left at our door. We slept in and mousekeeping left the basket with clean towels and linens. When I opened the door they took off running down the hall. I reported it to the front desk so they wouldn't think we were the one's stealing them.

There was a nice round table near the entrance to the villas. It had a bouquet on it and was really just decorative. Except for the day I came home and it was being used as a change table. The smell was horrible.

I realize much of this has to do with poor parenting but an adults only resort would have eliminated these issues. After a day at the parks I would enjoy unwinding at the pool or gift shop with no kids around.

I love Disney and saw some examples of great parenting - I still can't believe the patience one family with 7 kids under the age of about 10 had and they were all extremely well behaved both times I saw them. Unfortunately you can't weed out families who are going to be a PITA compared to those who would be fine so an adult only resort would be the only way to get the peace and relaxation that I would enjoy on property.

It's not only for people like me who don't have kids and prefer spending time with adults but for couples with kids who love Disney and want a childfree vacation. I don't think it would be a non-Disney thing to do. Disney is meant for all types of families even those without children.

seahawk7

Disney's new hottest resort is... "Leave Us Alone, Kid"

tumblr_mjgwn2KOpw1qj28qwo3_250.gif
1959514_10152799225221303_1736039902680162166_n.jpg

DC0703

An adult-themed hotel/wing might actually make some sense - Disney does get a lot of conference and business guests.

For now, the best solution involves choosing the right hotel. If you stay at an Allstar resort, there will be children everywhere. On the other hand, the Grand Floridian or Four Seasons (if you can afford them) will likely be more skewed toward older guests. In other words, the pricier hotels or those with less obvious/overt Disney 'magic' will probably attract an older crowd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom