Trip Report Back in the World at POR

18 months, 18 long months and we're back at WDW. We promptly left a very soggy Gatwick behind at 11.40am and after a relatively smooth and turbulence free flight we landed at MCO at 4pm local time. The Manchester flight had arrived just before us so the wait time at immigration was a little more than I hoped for. I must say though that the new automated system worked really well and sped up the arduous procedure no end.
Even picking up the hire car was hassle free, normally we expect a battle with the representative at the desk trying to sell us upgrades, but thankfully he didn't bother.
So we exited the airport and no time later arrived at our dream destination, the Port Orleans Resort.
The check in went smoothly thanks to Amber who handled that for us and even made a call and got us a lovely corner room :)
More to come on today's adventure later.

TB4244

Original Poster
We are feeling a little sad this morning as this is our last full day here, we fly home tomorrow. :(
So we're going to catch up on a few things that we missed, but we have had a brilliant time here as always. I will finish up this TR once I get chance!
Got home yesterday :( with brilliant memories and if I can get to do it may do a TR! We were there on the same night - watched the parade near to Diamond Horseshoe - and the parade was fantastic. Did 7DMT and BTMR and lots of other rides too. We all watched the later one - chatting to people from just outside Boston, and had a real good time. Really enjoyed our time in WDW as usual, and can't wait to be back to see the changes which are in progress at the moment.
Enjoying your report - and hope you enjoy the remaining time of your stay.:)
I'm glad you had a great time on your trip and like us I have no doubt you'll be back :)

Tiggertoo56

Hope you had a fantastic final day and a good journey home! Been keeping up with your report since I got back to UK, but work seems to interrupt my enjoyment. May be I will have to do a report to keep me in the loop with you great guys on here.:)

TB4244

Original Poster
Well it's a whole bunch of no fun being home again. Washing, cleaning and a big old pile of bills. But there's something to be said for being in your own bed again.
It wasn't very encouraging reading the tornado warning whilst sitting in the departure lounge, but despite that we had a smooth take off. The flight home was a little bumpy though, I only wish I could sleep on aircraft. Sitting bolt upright in a noisy airplane in turbulent skies doesn't make that easy ;)
Now it's back to work for me tomorrow and back to the trip report.

TB4244

Original Poster
It was fun but not good for my aching feet and legs (which are still hurting now lol)
The best part was taking the boat from DHS to Epcot, I've never done that before and it's a lovely ride down the river much like the trip to DTD from POR. Very pretty seeing all the resorts lit up at night.
The bad bit was whilst on the boat realising that we'd missed the Osbourne lights at DHS grrr.

Longers

Well it's a whole bunch of no fun being home again. Washing, cleaning and a big old pile of bills. But there's something to be said for being in your own bed again.
It wasn't very encouraging reading the tornado warning whilst sitting in the departure lounge, but despite that we had a smooth take off. The flight home was a little bumpy though, I only wish I could sleep on aircraft. Sitting bolt upright in a noisy airplane in turbulent skies doesn't make that easy ;)
Now it's back to work for me tomorrow and back to the trip report.

Bet it's not you doing the washing!?
It's cold here now 61 today and colder yesterday so i think the weather is trying to make coming home a little easier for us.
We still have all day tomorrow and then Friday to soak up that last bit of pixie dust before we leave.
I will look forward to reading your trip report when I get home (not that I am looking forward to going home)

TB4244

Original Poster
Actually I put two loads in yesterday and hung them up, so nerrr!
I had noticed the weather had changed rather abruptly, the rain was lashing down when we left POR which made the drive to MCO interesting. We even took off in the rain , but I'm glad to hear the tornado warning never amounted to anything.

I really must finish up this trip report, jet lag has hit and I'm still struggling...yawn.

Tiggertoo56

It was fun but not good for my aching feet and legs (which are still hurting now lol)
The best part was taking the boat from DHS to Epcot, I've never done that before and it's a lovely ride down the river much like the trip to DTD from POR. Very pretty seeing all the resorts lit up at night.
The bad bit was whilst on the boat realising that we'd missed the Osbourne lights at DHS grrr.
We did 3 parks in one day - but only for quick visits and to catch up on bits we missed and felt it later. I told work I needed a holiday to recover but they wouldn't let me take another for some reason? o_O I love that boat trip - we did it from HS to 'Swalphin' to collect our hire car, and then when we returned it there walked from 'Swalphin' to Epcot after we returned it - it was a lovely walk through to Epcot. Got to Gates to the World and there was virtually no-one about in that area in the morning - so peacful. Enough time to actual have a coffee and people watch for a few minutes! Oh No about the lights OMG!!! They were fantastic! You'll have to go again to see them.

TB4244

Original Poster
Yeah basically we did the same as you @Tiggertoo56 we did AK in the morning moved on to DHS and then finished at Epcot to visit the few things that either we hadn't had time for or we had just plain missed. It was a long crazy day but so worth it.
I was annoyed that we didn't get to see the lights at DHS, especially as I hadn't seen them before either. But I do hope to catch them next time as we will be back, that goes without question.

TB4244

Original Poster
Perhaps I'll round off my TR with a few highlights as I should have kept up with writing this on a day to day basis, but I was having too much fun to sit and record it all.

After taking the Undiscovered Futureworld tour last year (which I can heartily recommend if you're a fan of Epcot) I wanted to do another, so it came down to a choice of Backstage Magic (which is ridiculously expensive) or Keys to the Kingdom.
So KttK is was, and as fate turned out we had booked the same day as @Longers, although not the same time as she had grabbed an earlier time than us. Our guide met us at the Town Hall, and took us on an informative trip down Main Street, pointing out all the detailing on the windows and the Disney Jail where all the ticket fraudsters end up, ha! We went backstage right next to Splash Mountain, yep right behind that log gate. What was there? Lots of warehouse type buildings painted in the drab 'Go away' green as its called. We held our noses as we passed the refuse processing centre, that wasn't too pleasant but across the road was a large open building with a canopy which holds all of the current parade floats. The Move it, Shake it vehicles sat under the canopy with the panels open exposing the many batteries that power them. Inside was a lot more interesting, as thats where the Main Street Electrical Parade floats were. I have to say that they are a lot less impressive in the daytime but still very interesting. I would have liked to have sat in one of the turtles or snails to see actually how much the driver can see, but alas.
Also parade related was a large red portable type building sat outside which contained the costumes for the toy soldiers in the MVMCP parade. We were told that once the parade reaches backstage, a flurry of activity commences where all the able bodied characters like the princesses jump down from their perches and help strip the poor performers out of their very restrictive costumes as they are totally unable to do it themselves. That must be a sight to see.]
From here we walked over to the back of SM to see the huge reservoir that holds the water for the ride. It can be pumped out in 45 minutes if repairs are necessary, but unfortunately it takes 2 and a half hours to get it back in again. The reservoir reaches 21 feet deep once the ride has been drained, there's that amount of water in it.
If you are behind Main Street you can actually walk from the Town Hall to the Jungle cruise in about 30 seconds, its so close. On stage will probably take you 15 minutes some days.
We got direct walk ons to Haunted Mansion and the Jingle Cruise which saved a lot of queuing. But finally we were taken down below into the depths of the Magic Kingdom, yes the famed Utilidors. Depending on where you are down there, the corridor is painted to match the area above so that allows you to orient yourself as I imagine its fairly easy to get lost. Its quite utilitarian and industrial, but still fascinating to see, including the pin trading station where CMs can ditch all the rubbish pins that they end up with after a days shift in the park, which all get recycled by the way.
I waved an enthusiastic hello to @Longers, who seemed to be having as much of a blast as me.Of all the places we could cross paths, the Utilidors was a good'un.
I'd estimate we spent approximately an hour down there and walked in a complete loop ending up where we started.
There was a lot to see and take in on the tour, but not one to take if you want to preserve the 'Disney Magic', as it totally blows it away. But if you're interested in seeing how the park functions and what goes on behind the scene then thats the tour for you. It got a definite TB4244 thumbs up.

Longers

Perhaps I'll round off my TR with a few highlights as I should have kept up with writing this on a day to day basis, but I was having too much fun to sit and record it all.

After taking the Undiscovered Futureworld tour last year (which I can heartily recommend if you're a fan of Epcot) I wanted to do another, so it came down to a choice of Backstage Magic (which is ridiculously expensive) or Keys to the Kingdom.
So KttK is was, and as fate turned out we had booked the same day as @Longers, although not the same time as she had grabbed an earlier time than us. Our guide met us at the Town Hall, and took us on an informative trip down Main Street, pointing out all the detailing on the windows and the Disney Jail where all the ticket fraudsters end up, ha! We went backstage right next to Splash Mountain, yep right behind that log gate. What was there? Lots of warehouse type buildings painted in the drab 'Go away' green as its called. We held our noses as we passed the refuse processing centre, that wasn't too pleasant but across the road was a large open building with a canopy which holds all of the current parade floats. The Move it, Shake it vehicles sat under the canopy with the panels open exposing the many batteries that power them. Inside was a lot more interesting, as thats where the Main Street Electrical Parade floats were. I have to say that they are a lot less impressive in the daytime but still very interesting. I would have liked to have sat in one of the turtles or snails to see actually how much the driver can see, but alas.
Also parade related was a large red portable type building sat outside which contained the costumes for the toy soldiers in the MVMCP parade. We were told that once the parade reaches backstage, a flurry of activity commences where all the able bodied characters like the princesses jump down from their perches and help strip the poor performers out of their very restrictive costumes as they are totally unable to do it themselves. That must be a sight to see.]
From here we walked over to the back of SM to see the huge reservoir that holds the water for the ride. It can be pumped out in 45 minutes if repairs are necessary, but unfortunately it takes 2 and a half hours to get it back in again. The reservoir reaches 21 feet deep once the ride has been drained, there's that amount of water in it.
If you are behind Main Street you can actually walk from the Town Hall to the Jungle cruise in about 30 seconds, its so close. On stage will probably take you 15 minutes some days.
We got direct walk ons to Haunted Mansion and the Jingle Cruise which saved a lot of queuing. But finally we were taken down below into the depths of the Magic Kingdom, yes the famed Utilidors. Depending on where you are down there, the corridor is painted to match the area above so that allows you to orient yourself as I imagine its fairly easy to get lost. Its quite utilitarian and industrial, but still fascinating to see, including the pin trading station where CMs can ditch all the rubbish pins that they end up with after a days shift in the park, which all get recycled by the way.
I waved an enthusiastic hello to @Longers, who seemed to be having as much of a blast as me.Of all the places we could cross paths, the Utilidors was a good'un.
I'd estimate we spent approximately an hour down there and walked in a complete loop ending up where we started.
There was a lot to see and take in on the tour, but not one to take if you want to preserve the 'Disney Magic', as it totally blows it away. But if you're interested in seeing how the park functions and what goes on behind the scene then thats the tour for you. It got a definite TB4244 thumbs up.

We didn't get to see the splash mountain bit (only from a distance) so It looks like even though they were the same Tour depending on your guide you will get a different tour. Shame as I would have liked to see that but there is always next year!

TB4244

Original Poster
I think it's quite an individual thing for the tour guide, they take the basic tour and make it their own. They obviously have limits as to what they can show you but I think they take on what they consider to be the most interesting things.
Next year it is then, but it might be a couple of years for us as it depends on finance. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom