The Spirited Back Nine ...

Next Big Thing

I've gotta think that they are considering adding one more festival to keep World Showcase in festival mode 100% of the year (or close enough to allow setup/teardown time between them). It's the only thing drawing visitors into Epcot right now, the only thing maintaining even the illusion of it's attendance numbers being ok.
There was rumor of a technology fair that would happen in Future World before F&G starts. It seemed fairly solid like it was actually happening at the time. Not sure of it now. You wouldn't happen to know anything @wdwmagic, would you? ;)

Next Big Thing

To me it was less visceral and more jumbled. Count me as one of the old fogeys that couldn't tell what the heck was going on 98% of the time on Transformers.
It's a well done ride. The ride system is well done. Personally, that ride just didn't do it for me, and I probably wouldn't ride it again if I went to the park. I'd just do Mummy one more time and call it even.
But, I'm the dude with the Kitchen Kabaret obsession, so I'll admit my tastes might not be ones shared by a lot of folks.
I agree and Spider-Man is my Favorite ride in all of Uni. The story is all over the place, it feels overly long and more or less just a reason to throw you around a lot. It's certainly much more intense than Spider-Man, but that doesn't mean anything if the story makes little sense. My mother rode it, came off and the first thing she said was "I think i'm gonna throw up". She didn't, but she also mentioned the same things about story. It's a cool ride system, but TF falls very flat compared to it's predecessor.

Last edited:

Nemo14

I just saw your sig file.

I do a mean Mr. White dance.

I find that highly believable.
laugh2.gif

I used to live in athens. A member of Widespread Panic tried to swing on me at a murder scene once.... true story.

paranoid.gif

John

Wow - you clean yours far more frequently than I do, But hey up here in the 'Frozen' north the bathrooms are from Chic Sale you know the ol' two holer, You flush by putting lime down the hole, Cleaning the bathroom is filling the old one with sawdust and dirt and digging a new hole...

Or go back a 150 years later and dig it up! I am not pictured....I am in the hole!
Digging Pics (800x600).jpg

djkidkaz

There was rumor of a technology fair that would happen in Future World before F&G starts. It seemed fairly solid like it was actually happening at the time. Not sure of it now. You wouldn't happen to know anything @wdwmagic, would you? ;)

Last I heard it was on indefinite hold, but I heard rumors about food and wine kiosks coming to Future World, possibly during flower and garden.

ParentsOf4

The parks are still near-pristine and spotless every morning. Sure, queues here and there are a little dusty but most people don't notice that. The parks get dirtier throughout the day for several reasons: higher volume of people moving through the parks - its very hard to clean a queue when its packed with people all day. Also, guests/society becoming more self-centered, lazy, careless, and disrespectful.
I politely suggest that guests are not "more self-centered, lazy, careless, and disrespectful". The problem is money, specifically WDW's budgets.

Throughout the ages, the older generation often complained that the younger generation was "more self-centered, lazy, careless, and disrespectful". An old quote often misattributed to Socrates reads:

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise."​

Even though Socrates did not write these words, the sentiment is not new. I recall similar views being expressed in the 1970s and 1980s, during WDW's Golden Age.

I also recall WDW being pristine in the 1970s and 1980s. Today it's not.

People have not changed.

WDW has changed.

As you acknowledge, the parks start the morning "a little dusty". They also have nicks and scratches, chipped paint, worn fixtures, and burned out bulbs. Attractions have broken animatronics, month after month, year after year.

Beginning in the mid-1990s, WDW's maintenance budgets were slashed. Every year since, those "sharp-pencil guys" (as Walt Disney called them) figure out new ways to squeeze a few more pennies out of budgets. Over the last 20 years, this has resulted in a palpable decline in WDW quality.

The budget cuts also have resulted in a concept referred to as the Broken Windows Theory. It's the idea that when something is not properly maintained, it encourages petty vandalism and other bad behavior. It's the idea that people take visual cues from their surrounding environment to determine what behavior is acceptable.

Although the term dates back to the 1980s, it's a concept Walt Disney understood when he opened Disneyland in 1955. Quoting Walt:

"When I started on Disneyland, my wife used to say 'But why do you want to build an amusement park? They're so dirty.' I told her that was the point, mine wouldn't be."​

Quoting Walt again:

"Everybody thinks that Disneyland is a goldmine but we have had our problems. You've got to work it and know how to handle it. Even trying to keep that park clean is a tremendous expense. And those sharp-pencil guys tell you, 'Walt, if we cut down on maintenance, we'd save a lot of money.' But I don't believe in that. It's like any other show on the road; it must be kept clean and fresh."​

Walt understood that if you treat the customers and their surroundings with respect, they'll treat your business with respect.

If you charge them outrageous prices, pack them in to hour-long lines, and allow their surroundings to deteriorate, they are going to behave accordingly.

It's a concept completely lost by today's corporate Disney management. :(

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

Wouldn't surprise me if the Alien scene gets changed out for Star Wars.
I don't know what a new "show set" might mean for GMR, but I do have to admit that I might not be completely against a Star Wars scene replacing Alien if done correctly. Specifically a recreation of THIS iconic scene from Empire Strikes Back (ESB has well earned its place as a great classic movie, and it's generally agreed to be the best in the series)-
Lukevaderesb.png

A pair of impressive Luke and Vader animatronics dueling could be super awesome to look at. Something similar to this was actually done in Disneyland Paris' version of Pirates of the Caribbean, there's a new scene exclusive to that version of the ride where a pirate and a guy from the town (who almost looks like the inspiration for William Turner) have a sword fight. It's rather impressive even to this day, and that was a ride built over 22 years ago. I could totally see a lightsaber battle using the same sort of AA technology to make it look like they're really fighting (perhaps with even newer AA tech).

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Wouldn't surprise me if the Alien scene gets changed out for Star Wars.

That wouldn't surprise me, but I don't think this permit is for one of the ride show scenes. They really couldn't replace a ride show scene without a shut down of the attraction and we would have heard about that closing my now.

Fishbait

I politely suggest that guests are not "more self-centered, lazy, careless, and disrespectful". The problem is money, specifically WDW's budgets.

Throughout the ages, the older generation often complained that the younger generation was "more self-centered, lazy, careless, and disrespectful". An old quote often misattributed to Socrates reads:

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise."​

Even though Socrates did not write these words, the sentiment is not new. I recall similar views being expressed in the 1970s and 1980s, during WDW's Golden Age.

I also recall WDW being pristine in the 1970s and 1980s. It's not today.

People have not changed.

WDW has changed.

I am not denying the WDW has changed and for the worst and I agree about the $$. My family has decided to avoid WDW until things change.

However, people have changed. They are less oriented on the group as a whole, are more focused on pleasing themselves and to heck with anyone else, and expect everything immediately. While people may have always felt like acting this way, it seems like people voice it and act on it more today than in the past.

MerlinTheGoat

I entirely agree ParentsOf4, as usual (I'm beginning to think you're incapable of posting anything remotely incorrect or unintelligent).

Many of the maintenance problems caused by guests remain unaddressed not just for days or weeks, but often months and years. Up until the mid 90's Disney had massive maintenance crews patrolling the parks both day and night to target and address any wear and tear as they cropped up. Some during the day, but anything else during nights. It was common once to see paint being touched up on the building quite frequently. And another example is of course the famous lightbulb crews who were ordered to replace any lights at 80% lifespan even if they weren't dead yet. As a result, the only lights you ever saw were ones that died prematurely, which were very few (maybe one or two in a strip of hundreds). And the same bulb did not remain broken for more than a day.

And there are just as many if not more issues that guests can't have caused because they're areas that guests can't reach. Persistent broken lights that remain unchanged for years, non working animatronics, other problems with show scenes in rides, peeling paint out of reach of guests, mold growing on walls and ceilings (or murals in Maelstrom's case for the past few years up until it closed) etc etc. Or issues caused by simple ordinary wear and tear that was unavoidable in any decade, not because of abuse.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom