The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
A Z-pack or Clarithromycin might have also worked (I think; I'm not a doctor; I've just been prone to these since I was 2), but I'm not a doctor. Mine, if he knows I'm travelling, usually will prescribe an antibiotic for me to take with me, and then if the symptoms won't go away, then I can take it. They're usually quicker to put the asthmatic on the antibiotic.

I'm kind of surprised he didn't give you prednisone either. A low dose for a few days would have reduced inflammation. Unless you aren't able to take it for some reason.

Yes I know way too much about this. Unfortunately between my mom, my brother, and me, we've had to deal with this a lot, while travelling too. Ear problems run in our family.

That won't help your ears.

Be careful in the sun with that one. Dunno how long you've been on it, but that would be the cause of that one time I got sunburned in January in WDW.

Have fun. :)
I've been on Cipro for 2 years. I am the palest white person you'll ever meet. And darn it all, I used to tan so beautifully.
I know Cipro won't work for ear infections; I just think the doctor doesn't want to over-prescribe antibiotics.

Again, this second doctor today doesn't think it's an actual ear infection - just a build-up of fluid in the INNER ear.
I have an antibiotic corticosteroid ear drop the first doctor prescribed, but second doc said that would probably only help if it were, in fact, an OUTER ear infection.
The fact that it is now affecting both ears rules that out.

Fluid and inflammation; treatable with Advil C & S, apparently.
Also, I have to keep plugging my nose and blowing lightly to make my ears pop.

I have zero experience with this, so I'll follow doctor's orders and hope for the best.

StarWarsGirl

I've been on Cipro for 2 years. I am the palest white person you'll ever meet. And darn it all, I used to tan so beautifully.
I know Cipro won't work for ear infections; I just think the doctor doesn't want to over-prescribe antibiotics.
I went on it for a UTI sophomore year of high school. It was our last day, I couldn't get to an Urgent Care, and we always keep it on hand anyway because I am prone to these things. I called the doctor while on vacation, and he said go on it. What all of us neglected to think about was the effects of being sun sensitive. And this was Florida. I came back very sunburned. And there was snow on the ground back home. So here I am walking around in snow...and sunburned. Lovely. I have to be really careful about antibiotics that make me sun sensitive. Lesson learned.

Again, this second doctor today doesn't think it's an actual ear infection - just a build-up of fluid in the INNER ear.
I have an antibiotic corticosteroid ear drop the first doctor prescribed, but second doc said that would probably only help if it were, in fact, an OUTER ear infection.
The fact that it is now affecting both ears rules that out.

Fluid and inflammation; treatable with Advil C & S, apparently.
Also, I have to keep plugging my nose and blowing lightly to make my ears pop.
I still think that a low dose of prednisone would have been a decent idea just because you're flying. Just a low dose, 10 or 20 mgs. Prednisone is an oral corticosteroid that does not contain an antibiotic. I have it for asthma because it is antiinflammatory (and something like Advil doesn't help and may only make it worse) so I can go on it if I'm having a bad flare due to a cold or another viral infection, or even combined with an antibiotic for a bacterial infection, but it can be used for other things. For instance, my mom is so allergic to poison ivy that she needs it to reduce the swelling. Otherwise, she'll be miserable. It would just help with the swelling and the pressure in your ears. My doctor recommended this to my mom a few years ago when we were travelling and she got a bad ear infection. Unless there's a specific reason you can't take it, it might have helped. But then again, I'm not a doctor, nor am I at all familiar with the Canadian healthcare system. Just my opinion.

donaldtoo

Oh my.
I sure could go for some Denny's right about...........NOW!!! :joyfull: :hungry:

dennys.jpg

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I went on it for a UTI sophomore year of high school. It was our last day, I couldn't get to an Urgent Care, and we always keep it on hand anyway because I am prone to these things. I called the doctor while on vacation, and he said go on it. What all of us neglected to think about was the effects of being sun sensitive. And this was Florida. I came back very sunburned. And there was snow on the ground back home. So here I am walking around in snow...and sunburned. Lovely. I have to be really careful about antibiotics that make me sun sensitive. Lesson learned.

I still think that a low dose of prednisone would have been a decent idea just because you're flying. Just a low dose, 10 or 20 mgs. Prednisone is an oral corticosteroid that does not contain an antibiotic. I have it for asthma because it is antiinflammatory (and something like Advil doesn't help and may only make it worse) so I can go on it if I'm having a bad flare due to a cold or another viral infection, or even combined with an antibiotic for a bacterial infection, but it can be used for other things. For instance, my mom is so allergic to poison ivy that she needs it to reduce the swelling. Otherwise, she'll be miserable. It would just help with the swelling and the pressure in your ears. My doctor recommended this to my mom a few years ago when we were travelling and she got a bad ear infection. Unless there's a specific reason you can't take it, it might have helped. But then again, I'm not a doctor, nor am I at all familiar with the Canadian healthcare system. Just my opinion.
Dunno. Too late to question him now.
And now, truly, I am off to bed.

See you at 5:30 @MinnieM123.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Oh dear.
Even bacon likes to eat bacon...!!! :eek: :jawdrop:

:D ;)

bacondragoneatingbaconpig.jpg

And, on that silly note, I'm out...
See y'all reaaaaalll sooooonnn...!
Laterrrrrrr...!!!
:)

I laughed out loud here over this one!! Jack, my dog, is giving me the stink eye, wondering why I thought this was so freaking hilarious that it was worth disrupting his sleep, on the floor next to my chair. :p

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Further proof that some people should not take products containing pseudophedrine hydrochloride ....
There are 540 tiles on my hotel bathroom floor.

And yay, it's time to take some more Advil Cold & Sinus.
Maybe I should chase it with some Red Bull and a 5-hour Energy drink.

Or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom