The Boat House construction at Disney Springs The Landing

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Same comment as with the addition of Morimoto Asia. I am so excited for the transformation of DTD into DS. What is nice about this particular venue is that it has a theme extended throughout the entire facility, that even extends out into water tours on amphicars. This is more of what DS needs and it gives me hope that DS will become a destination in itself. I wonder if this will ultimately drive up occupancy in Saratoga Springs?
I think it could to an extent. Most people won't make DS their top priority for visiting WDW, but I could see some people (especially more local) booking a night or weekend at SSR and just going to DS for dinner and entertainment without even visiting the parks. It certainly can't hurt SSR to have much more to do.

I think the recent additions could really help attract and retain the convention crowd on property. Both Morimoto and Boathouse (run by Gibsons) will have high-end, top notch cuisine and it looks promising that at least the landing area will have more late night adult options. It won't be PI, but it looks promising so far.

PrincessNelly_NJ

So this poster has come out to be pretty accurate so far...
food truck row, Boathouse, and Morimoto all confirmed. Trader sam's is going into the Poly. I wonder if "italian restaurant" is related to Kouzzina's replacement, Trattoria al Forno.
DD-Restaurants.jpg

jt04

It's pretty awesome looking.

I'm happy TDO noticed they have a great big beautiful body of water to work with over there. I like the idea of adding some actual movement to the lake to, should really improve the atmosphere.

The first time I visited PI I had the same thought that they were ignoring the amazing setting. But then the concept was flawed from the start. They have more than remedied the situation and the lake will be the strength of DS.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's interesting that Disney Burger uses the same typeface as Bobby Flay's burger restaurant..

images
The recent article from the food critic from the other thread mentioned another celebrity chef restaurant to be announced soon. Could be it. Bobby's Burgers are pretty good and the shakes are fantastic. Always a line at the one near my office. It would be a big hit I'm sure.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How many restaurants can Disney Springs really support? I'm starting to worry that it will be unsustainable long term without a high level of locals visiting regularly.

The goal here seems to not just be to sustain the theme park guest crowd, but to branch out into new revenue streams too. Locals and convention business seem to be the targets.

roj2323

Convention business I can see as both the contemporary and Coronado springs resorts have absolutely top notch, HUGE convention spaces. As for the locals I'm not sure. I-drive is making big changes and I see that becoming more than just a tourist trap.

Next Big Thing

Convention business I can see as both the contemporary and Coronado springs resorts have absolutely top notch, HUGE convention spaces. As for the locals I'm not sure. I-drive is making big changes and I see that becoming more than just a tourist trap.
Also remember the uber high end Four Seasons just opened up. There's plenty of room for these high-end restaurants. IMO, I think restaurants like Portabello, Fulton's, T-Rex, Rainforest, etc may be in trouble through as a result of these being added.

I think T-Rex and Rainforest will be ok, but I do truly feel Portabello and Fulton's are in the most trouble. They're the closest to the expanding area and they will be weak in comparison to these new restaurants.

roj2323

I found Portabello to be quite disappointing when I went there so I can kinda understand your point. I agree on T-rex and Rainforest but Perhaps they will plus their locations so they are not so tired looking and are more immersive.

Next Big Thing

I found Portabello to be quite disappointing when I went there so I can kinda understand your point. I agree on T-rex and Rainforest but Perhaps they will plus their locations so they are not so tired looking and are more immersive.
Yeah, Portabello is average at best and against award winning, high-end restaurants/bars, the only thing that can save it is DDP. But even then i'm not sure because even now, without those other restaurants open, it is a rare occasion that you can't get walk-up seating. Not that I dislike that, as I wish WDW had less reservations, but the lack of reservations at the restaurant show its general lack of popularity.

CDavid

How many restaurants can Disney Springs really support? I'm starting to worry that it will be unsustainable long term without a high level of locals visiting regularly.

The goal here seems to not just be to sustain the theme park guest crowd, but to branch out into new revenue streams too. Locals and convention business seem to be the targets.

If sufficient numbers of theme-park guests can be persuaded to dine at Disney Springs (rather than in a park, hotel, or offsite) then there certainly won't be too many restaurants, even without tapping the local market. Accepting the dining plan (much as I loathe it) would help in that; We all know the difficulty in finding walk-up dinner availability (in parks) if you don't have a reservation (though that is partly a problem of Disney's own making).

The downside, as I see it, is many of the new eateries are somewhat upscale to readily attract many off-site park guests, who otherwise eat at Golden Corral or Perkins, and both the Contemporary and Coronado convention business are inconveniently located pretty far away from the Springs, with bus transportation which historically has been slow to that destination.

I suspect local business will hinge in part on the ease of getting in and out of Disney Springs (notoriously difficult at present). International Drive traffic isn't exactly a breeze to navigate either, though.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If sufficient numbers of theme-park guests can be persuaded to dine at Disney Springs (rather than in a park, hotel, or offsite) then there certainly won't be too many restaurants, even without tapping the local market. Accepting the dining plan (much as I loathe it) would help in that; We all know the difficulty in finding walk-up dinner availability (in parks) if you don't have a reservation (though that is partly a problem of Disney's own making).

The downside, as I see it, is many of the new eateries are somewhat upscale to readily attract many off-site park guests, who otherwise eat at Golden Corral or Perkins, and both the Contemporary and Coronado convention business are inconveniently located pretty far away from the Springs, with bus transportation which historically has been slow to that destination.

I suspect local business will hinge in part on the ease of getting in and out of Disney Springs (notoriously difficult at present). International Drive traffic isn't exactly a breeze to navigate either, though.
The direct ramp from I-4 should help make it easier to get in and out for people with a car.

I would guess the convention crowd who may be going off property now at night either have a rental car or more likely take cabs. The same could apply to Disney Springs. It's a short and relatively cheap cab ride from CR to DS. Thinking of this in terms of my own experience with attending conventions, DS will provide exactly what I would be looking for. Convenient location (via bus or cab), good food choices and a place to get a drink or 3 after dinner with some live entertainment sprinkled in. If they don't accept DDP (or maybe limited acceptance) they should also have some same day availability. I don't see convention guests booking reservations at the 6 month mark as frequently as the theme park tourists.

I agree that these restaurants do not have off property tourists as their target. In general I would expect them to all be relatively expensive and maybe (hopefully) have some sort of enforced dress code. Not a jacket and tie, but enforcing the ban on tank tops and cut off shorts would be a good start.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think T-Rex and Rainforest will be ok, but I do truly feel Portabello and Fulton's are in the most trouble. They're the closest to the expanding area and they will be weak in comparison to these new restaurants.
T-Rex and RF will be fine. Families with kids are their wheel house. Plus they are more moderately priced and they take DDP.

I think Fulton's could be a bit in trouble. When Boat House was first announced we had a discussion about the kind of food offered. Some people thought they wouldn't offer seafood since it was right next to Fulton's. It sounds like they will be offering seafood. Could be a conflict there.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
T-Rex and RF will be fine. Families with kids are their wheel house. Plus they are more moderately priced and they take DDP.

I think Fulton's could be a bit in trouble. When Boat House was first announced we had a discussion about the kind of food offered. Some people thought they wouldn't offer seafood since it was right next to Fulton's. It sounds like they will be offering seafood. Could be a conflict there.
We used to got to Fulton's every trip but now that we have kids we don't go anymore to fancy for my kids. If the boat house is more kid friendly we will be all over it. The cars look amazing! My kids would love to go for a ride in those.

roj2323

We used to got to Fulton's every trip but now that we have kids we don't go anymore to fancy for my kids. If the boat house is more kid friendly we will be all over it. The cars look amazing! My kids would love to go for a ride in those.
I have a feeling this is probably what's going to happen. After the boathouse is open, Fulton's will be remodeled into a High end dinning Location with Prices to match. It will definitely be in the $40-$50 a plate range at minimum.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom