TRIP REPORT OF 10/25/2014

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
So my dad, sister and I debated whether to visit WDW or Universal. We chose Universal since we haven't been there since 2011!

When we got there at 10:00 A.M., there was a huge massive line of cars heading into the parking lots. We didn't realize it was a weekend following a holiday week. Also extremely disappoint were the park closing times! Universal Studios closed at 5:00 PM and Island of Adventure closed at 7:00 PM. Now there's one thing Disney's got straight are the park hours of operation. With the HUGE crowds pouring in for Harry Potter, both parks should have been open until at least 9:00 PM. Or at least Islands of Adventure (because of HNN). For the three of us total, spent more than $400 dollars for a one-day ticket. With that said, and the huge crowds around us, we also only got about 10-ish rides done out of BOTH parks. Dad wouldn't go the extra mile to pay for express passes, which, I understand. FP+ or not, I am grateful it is free at Disney.

When we first walked into Universal Studios, there was already a 60 minute wait for Despicable Me. So instead, we went over to the 15 minute wait for Shrek 4D.

Everything was actually in very good condition at Shrek.. Well.. Almost everything.. The workers at Shrek was amazingly in GREAT character! For the pre-show, the man did a GREAT job with his interpretation for the lines he said, and was very sarcastically funny! We were in the front close to the doors that enter into the theatre during the pre show. We could hear the show through the doors better than we could the pre show! I believe there are two reasons for that.. 1) They need new sound-proof doors.. and 2) the sound for the actual 4D show was MOTHER. FREAKING. LOUD! I felt like my ears were about to burst out!! Otherwise, the attraction was in great shape!

10353554_10203098935744539_2999644483540010900_n.jpg

After that was over, it was already about 12:00 PM. So we headed over to that burger joint next to "Disaster!" and ate. After that, we went to see the Beetlejuice Graveyard Review. Now let me just say.. Universal has been very good at adding and updating their park attractions recently.. But this update.. Oh.. God... What were they thinking!?! It's by far the only downgrade Universal has made in a while. The show before the current version was GREAT!!! Now it's just equally as good as a show at my local park, Carowinds. 80s pop music. My dad and my sister were VERY disappointed in the show (I already knew how cheesy and lame the new show was). My dad's quote: "There was not a single good song in that show. It was crap." Beetlejuice is sort of a backstage distraction now throughout the entire show, except for his usual introduction. It was sad. Just sad.

10574474_10202914382409585_3709187157008811021_n.jpg

Moving on through the crowds, I decided to lead my dad and sister over to the new Diagon Alley. They thought I was heading towards some restrooms because the entrance to the place is pretty well hidden. Well, as hidden as it was, we became packed like sardines in a can once we got it.. and for some reason, I didn't even care! Everything looked AMAZING!!! The tilts and angles of the buildings! The theming! It was magnificent! Disney's fantasyland expansion looks like a toddler designed it compared to this. Heck, I am now 90% sure that Avatarland will not have ANY affect on Harry Potter. It was just unbelievable.. and this is coming from somebody who doesn't care a thing about Harry Potter.

10384918_10203098935424531_5914178851659320162_n.jpg

^^^ You can see where you begin to get squished together right at Gringotts Bank^^^

We headed over to escape from gringotts or whatever its called and it was a 70 minute wait. My dad walked to the starbucks to relax. Me and my sister waited the 70 minutes to ride. Good. Freaking. Lord. This ride was. Freaking. Amazing!!!! Now.. I wouldn't say it was worth a 70 minute wait.. No ride is.. But it sure did make me completely forget how long it took to get to the ride! Heck, the indoor queue line was so greatly themed I didn't even care! The elevator was very neat. They should add that affect to the elevator in MIB Alien Attack. The ride was unlike anything I've ever ridden! VERY well done! The only thing I didn't like was the length.. Or, the ending.. Not the length.. Because at the end you're just like.. "..what? that was it? huh?" But definitely a 10/10 rating on my part!
10177518_10203098934864517_324530255575814458_n.jpg

Sorry WDW railroad.. Your nostalgia is no match for this!

We felt the need to escape the huge crowds so decided to ride the train to Universal Studios. That was a very very neat experience! The train station was very, very beautiful! Quite shocked at how well it was done!

We get out and, unsurprisingly, it's just about as crowded at Hogwarts as it was at Diagon! We went and tried some butter beer.. Overpriced sugar water with whip cream.. Yet, very pleasing.
10616277_10202914383649616_4884943637284853663_n.jpg

We bought some gifts and didn't even bother waiting the 50 minutes for Harry Potter's ride. We immediately went to ride Jurassic Park River Adventure! It's in MUCH better shape than the last time we've ridden it. (last time, there was a gate and sheets surrounding a couple of dinosaurs) Every single affect was working! Although, the ride is certainly starting to show its age from the first part of the ride. Mainly the dino AAs. The dino that hits your boat and comes out of the water was in really good shape surprisingly though! It usually just hops up and goes back down, but it was moving full. The cage actually fell as well. The boats then got stuck. What happened was our boat didn't reach the chain lift. So it took two boats behind us for it to reach it, and then we started going up. That must be a regular problem because after the ride was over, they sent out empty boats to fix it up, and as we passed the ride later in the day, it happened again with empty boats. The only thing I'll really complain about is the final drop. Not the actual drop per say, but the T-Rex dino! It worked properly! But there was about 8 seconds of awkward nothing, and the T-rex just stood there in disco-yeti mode until we got to a certain distance from him. It was a little awkward and freaky. Otherwise, for the age of this water ride, it was pretty good!
10370436_10202914381449561_448743945293247253_n.jpg

After that, we walked through Toon Lagoon. I'm disappointed that Universal fixed all of the water affects for Dudley Doo Right. Because now I don't want to ride it for that final drop would make me so incredibly soaked and uncomfortable for the rest of the day! The area looked fresh and everything was greatly themed. I love love LOVE the soundtrack throughout the area! Especially when all the comic characters start singing a song and you can hear the voices coming from each group of comic characters. Such as Hagar the horrible's vikings sing for 4 seconds from that building and then the dogs across from it bark on time with the music.. It's pretty neat!

We then waited about 40 minutes for Spider-man.. DANG this ride was upgraded NICELY!!! The animation was GREAT and the ride was jerkier and more thrilling! It was AWESOME!!!!
10393806_10202914382849596_1330799788420175699_n.jpg

Me: My sister made me take this picture
CA: I hate my job.

532898_10203098973025471_6396229893529047270_n.jpg

Flashback!!! 2009 - 2014!

We didn't feel like waiting 15 minutes for Doctor Doom's bunny hop, or 90 minutes for Hulk Coaster. So we went over to ride Cat in the Hat.. Now, it seems like Seuss Landing must have had a major paint job since the last time I was here! Because what I remember is a bunch of muck. Cat in the hat.. Oh god.. They destroyed this attraction!! Two major problems. The first problem would be the workers. They seemed to be easily annoyed, and were kind of jerks. My sister was holding her phone and they told her "Ma'am, please put your phone away." so she did. She put it under he leg like she usually does on dark rides. Then the worker just looked at her, pulled the net in front of us open and said "In here, smart one." and then he looked at me and my dad and said "Put your hats in too!" in a very sarcastic tone. I've never had that much rudeness before from anybody! And for some odd reason, this is the ONLY place in the ENTIRE universal resort that was like this! I am actually quite shocked, though. Because EVERY OTHER WORKER was in character from custodian to ride operator! It was amazing! I've never seen Universal workers on top of their ball game like this before!

Along with the Cat in the hat ride, here's the second bad part. They took every bit of fun out of the ride. There used to be these really fun jerky turns and spins!!! Not anymore! It's just a straightforward dark ride. Which really sucks. Because now you have more time to look at the huge dusty track and ceiling around you. As well as the not-so-great looking AAs in their current state. Another horrible part is that laundry scene where there are usually these HUUUUGGGEEE spins! Like, what in the world is the point of that anymore? What's the point of this ride? It now looks cheesy and cheap.

After that disappointment, we decided to end our day at The Lost Continent. We went to my personal favorite out of all of Universal.. Poseidon's Fury!! Boy, this attraction is just so freaking amazing and unique! I love every part of it! Our junior tour guide did an excellent job! I don't think I've ever experienced this attraction with as much enthusiasm and character as this girl had! She was HILARIOUS and cracked a joke every 10 seconds whenever she spoke. She even let me get a selfie with her after the show.

10419037_10203098932744464_1785762641492157793_n.jpg

We then went to go see 8th voyage of sinbad. It was kind of meh. The microphones either weren't up enough or the actors weren't speaking loud. Or maybe they were just tired. It was the last show of the day (6:00 PM). I think a few new affects were actually added to this show.. I don't remember the evil lady's costume turning on fire and then falling into the water for the finale! I personally like the sin bad show.. It's like Universal's better version of Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular. But they didn't do too good of a job that night..

Well'p there's my trip report! Everything was AMAZING! and all i have to say is.. Disney really really REALLY needs to step up their game! I'll be taking my trips to Universal from now until their act is put together!

LondonGopher

Thanks for taking the time to do this...too bad it won't get as many views over here as it would in the "main" trip report forum. :( Love your snaps!

We spent five nights at Portofino earlier this month and had a FAB time. The "witches and wizards" working in DA/Hogsmeade were all in character and CLEARLY loved acting part(s) of that world. My DS (7) was in utter ecstasy, wearing his robe and carrying his wand. We both loved Gringotts as well...but Forbidden Journey made me feel...green (and I am not prone to motion sickness). :hungover:

But I really wanted to comment on what you said about the staff. On my previous (2) visits to UNI, employees' attitudes have been wildly inconsistent...friendly, perfunctory, sometimes downright grumpy. Not this time.

Without exception, every staff member we spoke to was friendly...and some were OUTSTANDING. Before we left England, I bought my son a (£5) light-up wand to use in Florida. He thought about buying one of the interactive ones, but decided against it. We got talking to a "wizard" one morning in DA...and he took my kid to EVERY SINGLE interactive point and showed him each spell and its result.

I wrote a letter when we got back to London. Well done, UNI. The effort they are making is OBVIOUS, in staff AS WELL as attractions. SO...they get our holiday £££ when we head back to FL in 2016.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Just curious- have you ridden FJ before- THAT is a MUST do!

Yes I have! A few months after the original land opened! It has, in my opinion, a much better length and ending than escape from gringotts! Gringotts was just sort of an abrupt ending.. But both are equally good in ride quality!

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Thanks for taking the time to do this...too bad it won't get as many views over here as it would in the "main" trip report forum. :( Love your snaps!

We spent five nights at Portofino earlier this month and had a FAB time. The "witches and wizards" working in DA/Hogsmeade were all in character and CLEARLY loved acting part(s) of that world. My DS (7) was in utter ecstasy, wearing his robe and carrying his wand. We both loved Gringotts as well...but Forbidden Journey made me feel...green (and I am not prone to motion sickness). :hungover:

But I really wanted to comment on what you said about the staff. On my previous (2) visits to UNI, employees' attitudes have been wildly inconsistent...friendly, perfunctory, sometimes downright grumpy. Not this time.

Without exception, every staff member we spoke to was friendly...and some were OUTSTANDING. Before we left England, I bought my son a (£5) light-up wand to use in Florida. He thought about buying one of the interactive ones, but decided against it. We got talking to a "wizard" one morning in DA...and he took my kid to EVERY SINGLE interactive point and showed him each spell and its result.

I wrote a letter when we got back to London. Well done, UNI. The effort they are making is OBVIOUS, in staff AS WELL as attractions. SO...they get our holiday £££ when we head back to FL in 2016.

Awesome report! :)

The ONLY time I had a bad experience with the workers was at The Cat in the Hat attraction! Every other single worker throughout the park was fabulous!

JordanNite

Agree with ur point regarding Universal having some bizarre early closing times.

Having to wait hours for Harry Potter, then havin the park close at 6 is just not on.

JT3000

Agreed. I'm heading to Universal in a couple weeks with extended family and tonight my Mom asked me what guests do at Universal after the parks close. I didn't have a good answer.

Dinner at CityWalk/hotels. Watch a movie. Go shopping or clubbing. See Blue Man Group. Play mini-golf. Attend a concert at Hard Rock Live. Go to the pool if you're staying on-site. Possibly tour I-Drive. The parks close earlier than they probably should (HHN notwithstanding), but there's plenty of things you can do.

JordanNite

Dinner at CityWalk/hotels. Watch a movie. Go shopping or clubbing. See Blue Man Group. Play mini-golf. Attend a concert at Hard Rock Live. Go to the pool if you're staying on-site. Possibly tour I-Drive. The parks close earlier than they probably should (HHN notwithstanding), but there's plenty of things you can do.

Watch a movie? Er ... you can pretty much do that in your hometown when your from. I wonder who on earth goes all the way to Universal Orlando to watch a movie?

Go to the pool post 6pm? Nah don't think so.

They should stay open later, there is no excuse for closing a park at 6pm even during quiet times.

StageFrenzy

Watch a movie? Er ... you can pretty much do that in your hometown when your from. I wonder who on earth goes all the way to Universal Orlando to watch a movie?

They should stay open later, there is no excuse for closing a park at 6pm even during quiet times.
Sometimes you happen to be in town when a movie you want to see is released.

JT3000

No one said it was the main appeal of Universal, or suggested anything of the sort. I was suggesting optional nighttime activities. But since we're on the topic, are you under the assumption that movies aren't a viable attraction simply because they can be seen elsewhere? Then why do other tourist traps, such as Disney and Pointe Orlando, also have movie theaters? People must be using them, no?

Suit yourself.

JordanNite

No one said it was the main appeal of Universal, or suggested anything of the sort. I was suggesting optional nighttime activities. But since we're on the topic, are you under the assumption that movies aren't a viable attraction simply because they can be seen elsewhere? Then why do other tourist traps, such as Disney and Pointe Orlando, also have movie theaters? People must be using them, no?

Suit yourself.

The cinemas are used mainly by the local population. I don't travel all the way from the UK, to go to the cinema at Universal Studios. I could watch a movie at my local multiplex in the cold UK.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Agreed. I'm heading to Universal in a couple weeks with extended family and tonight my Mom asked me what guests do at Universal after the parks close. I didn't have a good answer.

We saw the Blue Man group a while ago after the park closed.. It was very.. Interestingly entertainingly funny.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster

Excellent report. One thing I dislike about UO is they close way too early.

You know when Hollywood Studios only has a maximum of about 12 attractions open and the park STILL stays open until 9:00 PM that Universal's park times just really don't add up.... Either that, or it's vise versa..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom