The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
cf10547eb154fb170800db66db282daa.gif

StarWarsGirl

My kids both had swimmers ears a few times being competitive swimmers. They got very good at shaking the water out of their ears when they were out of the water for the day. There is an over the counter product you can drop in if it isn't coming out. My DD & DS had an auto refill on the perscription for swimmers ear if it went past the preventative stage. Once while my DD was in college she had to go the the campus Doc and and she asked what her problems was...DD said she had Swimmers Ear and need XXX med. DD said she just looked at her like yeah sure kid....looked in ear and wrote the script. Once ya have swimmers ear you know what it is.
I use Arodry eardrops. but that one time, they didn't work

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I was surprised at that too. I have an allergy to Sulfa drugs and Seftin and there's always been something that I can take. And I get those deep inner ear infections too.
Sulfa apparently is the only one even moderately effective.
He doesn't think it's an infection, just a build up of fluid behind the eadrum.
He wondered if I've had a head cold. I haven't, but my allergies were brutal this year.
Anyway, I am following his advice and taking double the recommended dosage of Advil Cold & Sinus for the next 36 hours.

I'll live.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Just a hunch only: It may also be that they are more conservative with antibiotics in the Canadian medical system. Antibiotics are overused (sometimes) here in the States. Perhaps the Canadian doctors might be a bit more holistic in their approach, and rely more on your body's own self defenses to clear an infection, even if it takes longer that way. Of course, their approach would still depend on how bad the infection was, and your overall medical history, too.
Possibly.
Plus, I'm already on a twice weekly, long-term dosage of Cipro - probably for the rest of my life.

StarWarsGirl

Sulfa apparently is the only one even moderately effective.
He doesn't think it's an infection, just a build up of fluid behind the eadrum.
He wondered if I've had a head cold. I haven't, but my allergies were brutal this year.
Anyway, I am following his advice and taking double the recommended dosage of Advil Cold & Sinus for the next 36 hours.

I'll live.
A Z-pack or Clarithromycin might have also worked (I think; I'm not a doctor; I've just been prone to these since I was 2), but I'm not a doctor. Mine, if he knows I'm travelling, usually will prescribe an antibiotic for me to take with me, and then if the symptoms won't go away, then I can take it. They're usually quicker to put the asthmatic on the antibiotic.

I'm kind of surprised he didn't give you prednisone either. A low dose for a few days would have reduced inflammation. Unless you aren't able to take it for some reason.

Yes I know way too much about this. Unfortunately between my mom, my brother, and me, we've had to deal with this a lot, while travelling too. Ear problems run in our family.

Plus, I'm already on a twice weekly, long-term dosage of Cipro - probably for the rest of my life.
That won't help your ears.

Be careful in the sun with that one. Dunno how long you've been on it, but that would be the cause of that one time I got sunburned in January in WDW.

The GPS says 12 minutes to the border.
I'm coming, Mickey ....
Have fun. :)

StarWarsGirl

Hey all! It was a little tough finding everyone here. I've got one more week of marching band and then I am quite excited to get back to all of you and enjoy the conversation and cameraderie. Good night!
Hey stranger. Hope all is well at the new job. :)

BTW, was just talking about you the other day. I made a friend this semester who went to your former HS. When she told me where she went, I started asking her if she remembered Mr. M or Mr. A. She knew Mr. M but not Mr. A. Not sure if she had you or not, but she remembered you and some of the stuff you had to put up with at your old school. She said she was happy for you that you'd found another school that takes music more seriously (a complaint she has toward her alma mater as well!) It was kind of weird explaining how I knew you. She said, "Wait, you met Mr. BriFraz on a Disney forum? As in online?" She wasn't aware these things existed. :joyfull:

Anyway, hoping all is good with you. FYI, I've decided to take chorus at my college next semester. Though I refuse to sing tenor again. Hoping to go back to being a soprano. We'll see.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom