Coal Mine tracks are quieter then Space Mountain?

Matt_Black

Of course Space Mountain is going to make noise. Those are rockets. On the other hand, the premise is that you're traveling through space, and sound doesn't carry in a vacuum, but then again you're riding in an open-topped vehicle and don't have to worry about radiation, freezing, or decompression, so....

PhilharMagician

Space is trashed. It could be quiet too. It was going to be.

The diamond mine tracks are brand new and designed to be quiet given the locale.

It was supposed to be quiet with onboard audio all new track and new effects. At least we got a few small sections of worn track replaced, a mild audio upgrade and some paint work you should never see on the ride. :banghead: Got to love budget cuts, I mean budget homicide.

wdwstateofmind

Anyone speculating on this is a bit off base...you can't compare the two considering on is indoors and one outdoors creating very different acoustics regardless of design (or how they were desinged for what purpose). Things such as humidity can actually make noise louder or softer depending on the amount as opposed to a ride in constant 68 degrees contained in a room that reverbs EVERYTHING.

Matt_Black

Anyone speculating on this is a bit off base...you can't compare the two considering on is indoors and one outdoors creating very different acoustics regardless of design (or how they were desinged for what purpose). Things such as humidity can actually make noise louder or softer depending on the amount as opposed to a ride in constant 68 degrees contained in a room that reverbs EVERYTHING.

Feh! You and your science and logic and rational thinking! It's easier to just blame greedy fat cats. ;)

mergatroid

Can somebody confirm something for me please? Riding SM now it seems to me that they've made the vehicles brake just before the largest drop. It feels obvious to me that it now breaks and ruins the best drop of the track. However speaking to a cm about it, he assured me that there's no braking before the final drop and it's the same as it always was?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
This thread must not have been thought out very well.. Like everyone else says.. 40 years different in ride technology?

That one other post made a lot more sense though.. About being outdoors.

Morgan Freeman narration: "And this is when the user, WondersOfLife, realized that he did not really post anything that was not already posted before."

EDIT:
Just because I can post it.

Last edited:

DistractedGenius

This thread must not have been thought out very well.. Like everyone else says.. 40 years different in ride technology?

That one other post made a lot more sense though.. About being outdoors.

Morgan Freeman narration: "And this is when the user, WondersOfLife, realized that he did not really post anything that was not already posted before."

Because Morgan Freeman always appears when there is a convoluted plot point :) I kid, I kid.

Yeah, I feel like the indoor/outdoor difference definitely plays a big part in this. Also, there's no denying that Space needs some love. All I've heard from anyone about that ride for the past four years is that it was different/not as good/in poor shape.

mp2bill

Not really sad at all. Engineering and technology is about 40 years more advanced.
For some reason, I expected this thread to be about SM versus actual coal mine tracks. Not sure why...I guess I just didn't think anybody would think that a ride from the 70s would be quieter than a ride from this decade.

Bluewaves

Didn't they just do that about 2 years back?

Nope, it was only a quick refurb where they only replaced track sections that were beyond saving, I'm talking about doing a Disneyland style gut the thing and rebuild it completely type of refurb, don't get me wrong its a fun ride but it could be so much better with all the advances in coaster tech in the last 40 years or so.

George Lucas on a Bench

My last rides on Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain were kinda depressing. I actually prefer the style of the ride itself to Disneyland's, but Disneyland's is CLEARLY the superior version in the US parks. I can't quite put my finger on what about it just kinda sucked, but it was pretty much the following:

- classic trippy space window corridor (with the Wrath of Khan Leonard Nimoy end monologue shot windows) ruined with awful video games
- station enclosed so you can no longer look up and see that glorious view or hear the screams
- queue line at the station rerouted behind a wall in a terrible and dirty plain corridor...?
- atrocious ugly new design/color scheme for the rockets
- random bizarre electronic music/sound effects in the ride pumped out of speakers as you fly by (I do like the sound when you go through the helix)
- the coaster feels like it's literally going to collapse at points while you're riding it
- possibly the most awkward and ugly on-ride photo of all time
- the stupid TV sets in the exit escalator that make people stop to look at themselves when you're just trying to get out of there

mergatroid

My last rides on Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain were kinda depressing. I actually prefer the style of the ride itself to Disneyland's, but Disneyland's is CLEARLY the superior version in the US parks. I can't quite put my finger on what about it just kinda sucked, but it was pretty much the following:

- classic trippy space window corridor (with the Wrath of Khan Leonard Nimoy end monologue shot windows) ruined with awful video games
- station enclosed so you can no longer look up and see that glorious view or hear the screams
- queue line at the station rerouted behind a wall in a terrible and dirty plain corridor...?
- atrocious ugly new design/color scheme for the rockets
- random bizarre electronic music/sound effects in the ride pumped out of speakers as you fly by (I do like the sound when you go through the helix)
- the coaster feels like it's literally going to collapse at points while you're riding it
- possibly the most awkward and ugly on-ride photo of all time
- the stupid TV sets in the exit escalator that make people stop to look at themselves when you're just trying to get out of there

Well it's all about opinions so I'm not going to tell you you're wrong as that's obviously how you feel, but I've highlighted some points to discuss from my perspective.

The video games do very little for me however I really imagine that for those in the standby line when the wait is long, they're something to help pass the time. In the old days there were 3D pictures and maps if I recall correctly and a tv showing shots of people riding SM, it was hardly a thrilling visual feast and didn't pass time during a 60+ minute wait.

I agree it was better when the loading bay was open and you could look up and see the vehicles and track, not sure why they covered it up unless people were throwing things from the TTA or the SM vehicles?

The colour scheme of the vehicles really doesn't bother me as you don't really see it apart from when it pulls in for loading.

I have honestly no idea how it feels like "it's literally going to collapse at points while you're riding it", what does that feel like? I'd imagine it would feel like the track was swaying wildly from side to side or even moving up and down, I have honestly never felt that in what must be the 100+ times I've ridden it.

I believe "the stupid TV sets in the exit escalator that make people stop to look at themselves when you're just trying to get out of there" have been there in some format for a very long time. The reality is you're on a moving track anyway though, so if people stop in front of you to look at themselves then you're still moving closer the exit if you can't pass them. I've never personally witnessed anyone walking backwards on the moving track delaying me and most of the time it's very easy to pass stationary people on the left anyway if I want steal an extra whole 6 seconds from the day that is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom