Elevator at Magic Kingdom Monorail

DisneyDaver

I have always heard that any kind of major modification to the TTC or MK monorail stations would require them to additionally make the stations ADA compliant, as they are not right now. The ramps going up to the platforms are too steep and lack the required level breaks. Making these ramps ADA compliant would require pushing them out into the front entrance area which in turn would likeley mean they would have to rework the traffic patterns in that area. I would imagine this could evolve into a large project as different things would have to be moved around.

I suspect this response is correct. Often times certain modifications can trigger other ADA requirements that could be impractical or extremely expensive.

rangerbob

Without shutting down the station for a while to re-build the whole thing to add an elevator I don't think would be doable. The only thing that I can think of that can happen somewhat easily but I doubt they will do it. They can make a special ADA exit only from the train station. Make it so they can roll over the train tracks and out the fence and across the grassy area. They are all almost the same level near the station. Of course it would have to be paved/themed.

ninjaprincesst

I'm sure the reason why they have not put a elevator in is as stated it would be a huge expense remodel of the whole monorail station. The best suggestion I have is next time rent an ecv from an outside vendor so you can have it with you all the time not just in the parks.

Goofyernmost

The reason why the ramps are so long at the Monorail stations is because of wheelchairs. That is a wheelchair ramp. I have pushed people in wheelchairs up those ramps as well and even though it does require a certain amount of effort, it really isn't overwhelming and it is really asking a lot to ask anyone, that already made the effort to be wheelchair accessible, to add additional expense and maintenance just because someone thinks it is too hard to push chairs up them. (Coming down can be an adventure as well, but that's not the point)

When you consider that at the time they were built, it was mostly wheelchairs that required someone to push them that were being used, today there is less and less need for an elevator because of motorized chairs and scooters. It's not like anyone spends all day going up and down them. On average, it's once up and once down in each direction. And there are other options. It is doable.

Rob562

The only reason they added the elevator to the Contemporary was because there was *no* wheelchair access at all to their monorail platform. Everywhere else has ramps (or elevators inside the lobby at GF and Polynesian).

-Rob

wdwstateofmind

Because all their locations, for the most part, are already handicap accessible with ramps and it's only about a 20 foot rise between the ground and the monorail station...plus, I'm sure since 1972 they haven't gotten too many complaints and can't really be concerned with the one person who can't muscle it...and if you can't muscle it, there's a boat 100 ft. away all downhill...

Arty Cordova

Original Poster
Because all their locations, for the most part, are already handicap accessible with ramps and it's only about a 20 foot rise between the ground and the monorail station...plus, I'm sure since 1972 they haven't gotten too many complaints and can't really be concerned with the one person who can't muscle it...and if you can't muscle it, there's a boat 100 ft. away all downhill...
Sorry tough guy. I'll try harder to be a stud like you.

Figment2005

Think of how big the elevator would be in order for it to keep up with the demand. The amount of wheelchairs and ECV's that come through that station is almost nauseating.

Goofyernmost

The down part is the easy part...
You would think so, and if you could just let go and let gravity take over, it would be great. However, you have to hold it back all the way down. You don't have to push but you do have to pull backwards to prevent it from taking off down the ramp. It was always a bigger problem, for me, going down then up.:)

Daniel Johnson

*cough cough*
You forget, this is AMERICA! Land of the 59 cent hamburger on Wednesdays and the home of the 69 cent cheeseburger on Sundays.

In all seriousness,
@FettFan makes a good point. Ferryboats are available, sometimes faster than monorails, and you always have bus and water taxi transportation.
Where you getting 59 cent burgers at?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom