New Diamond Celebration Disneyland Ambassadors Chosen

TP2000

Original Poster
The Disneyland Resort has chosen it's new global goodwill ambassadors, who will represent the Resort during the 60th Anniversary Diamond Celebration. This is also the 50th Anniversary of the Ambassador program, which dates back to Disneyland's Tencenial in 1965 when Walt chose Miss Julie Rheim to help represent Disneyland and introduced her to America on a famous Wonderful World of Color episode in early '65.

Walt gets to the fun part at the 1:30 mark in this video. Hi, Julie!

Pin collectors might want to just skip to the 22:20 mark to see Julie's "Disneyland hostess dress" and her "official pin", which Walt promptly outranks with his brass nametag from Disneyland's opening year. Walt, on national TV like a boss (the kids say that now, right?).

The 2015 version of Julie are two young ladies named Jessica and Allie, Allie an Orange County native and Jessica originally from beautiful Oregon. The Orange County Register has a fun article on the two of them and their selection this morning at Disneyland. Congratulations ladies! http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disneyland-638146-bernard-kawamoto.html

tumblr_nd9on4ROnu1qdv2hzo1_500.jpg

Onward to the Diamond Celebration!

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
And nothing will compare to Julie and Walt. Nope. I love watching that celebration.

Agreed. Classic Walt Disney showing off Disneyland (and its CM's) like a proud father on national TV, and in living color. There are so many classic Walt lines in that one episode, and they kill me every time!...

"These are scale models of people. That's a people!"
"Oh, you've met before? He gets around you know, he knows all the pretty girls."
"He's sort of the interior decorator for the, uh, house of illusi... uh, what do we call it?"

And my favorite Walt line...

"That's right, anything is possible at Disneyland!"

The cool thing is that Julie returns to Disneyland for the Ambassador ceremonies, and she was there yesterday to congratulate Jessica and Allie.

Here's Julie with Mickey and her 2015 counterparts yesterday, fifty years after she kicked off the Disneyland tradition on TV. Classy!

dldldl736991-613x408.jpg

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Agreed. Classic Walt Disney showing off Disneyland (and its CM's) like a proud father on national TV, and in living color. There are so many classic Walt lines in that one episode, and they kill me every time!...

"These are scale models of people. That's a people!"
"Oh, you've met before? He gets around you know, he knows all the pretty girls."
"He's sort of the interior decorator for the, uh, house of illusi... uh, what do we call it?"

The cool thing is that Julie returns to Disneyland for the Ambassador ceremonies, and she was there yesterday to congratulate Jessica and Allie.

Here's Julie with Mickey and her 2015 counterparts yesterday, fifty years after she kicked off the Disneyland tradition on TV. Classy!

dldldl736991-613x408.jpg

That's my absolute favorite part, when Walt shows her models of the Mansion! And Julie's jockey-type outfit in that scene is darling.

That's great that she continues to be part of the celebration. I'm sure a lot of girls are nice and all, but Julie should have just remained and still remain Ambassador.

George Lucas on a Bench

Regarding the Disneyland Tencennial special, it's the greatest filmed appearance of Walt Disney of all time as far as I'm concerned. The developments being made for Disneyland at the time would change things forever.

"And then, in here...we have a special attraction. We call it the, uh, Blue Bayou Lagoon. People...are gonna get on a boat here and ride through the lagoon...and then, as they get around here, we're gonna take 'em down a waterfall...and take 'em back into the past, into the days of the pirates, you know, where the whole Caribbean area was full of pirates, and they were always sacking towns and things."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom