Your Cell Phone / iPad Photos STINK!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Yeah but it's not as easy, quick or familiar.

I'm yet to see a camera that has Internet connectivity that is as full featured or easy to use as an iPad.
Familiar, true. Easy? The cameras I just finished rolling out (canon low end PTS) have a one touch button to sync with the cloud...and the Sonys are similar. What I haven't seen is automatic sync, like the iDevices do...but, I'd imagine that isn't too far off.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Familiar, true. Easy? The cameras I just finished rolling out (canon low end PTS) have a one touch button to sync with the cloud...and the Sonys are similar. What I haven't seen is automatic sync, like the iDevices do...but, I'd imagine that isn't too far off.
In most cases though, it isn't to the right cloud. All the Apple users want it to go to their iCloud photo streams, and I guess something similar for Android.

The cameras I have used with WiFi are all to proprietary. It wants to upload to some maker photo service, or sync to some app on a phone. Too many steps, and just not as as easy as taking a photo on the iPad and having it appear everywhere.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
In most cases though, it isn't to the right cloud. All the Apple users want it to go to their iCloud photo streams, and I guess something similar for Android.

The cameras I have used with WiFi are all to proprietary. It wants to upload to some maker photo service, or sync to some app on a phone. Too many steps, and just not as as easy as taking a photo on the iPad and having it appear everywhere.
When I first started playing with them (for my application), all I wanted was the ability to wirelessly transmit to a network share in the LAN, for the convenience of my users.

The first models I tested about a year ago were exactly as you described, but the more current versions I rolled out connect to a variety of popular services.

But, you are 100% correct I think about it being the "wrong cloud" for many people.

It's a shame, really, you'd think this could be an interesting market opportunity for Apple to release an iCamera device...

stuart

SNA0813UTD---_1562352a.jpg

Russian football fans having a brawl at our local rivals, Dundee United's Tannadice Stadium, about to be cuffed by some of Tayside's finest - all caught on his tablet lol.

DisneyGigi

I hate the iPad thing, because it is just so not convenient and it blocks other people's view . I also can't understand people who would carry a tripod around to capture photos either. You are on vacation, have fun, take photos and take advantage of photopass but do not get so carried away, whether it be by a phone, iPad or a camera that you are so busy filming that you have to come back home and watch/view it to live it. Life isn't meant to be viewed through any camera lens. Perfect example are people watching parades through a camera or phone. JMO :)

KeithVH

I'm trying to get upset about this very important issue, but I just can't imagine why I should care what device other people take pictures with.

You will care when you end up behind these idiots in POTC or any other dark ride and you end up seeing nothing but the glow of their screen(s).

dadddio

You will care when you end up behind these idiots in POTC or any other dark ride and you end up seeing nothing but the glow of their screen(s).
Two thoughts:
  1. I've been behind similar idiots using 'real' cameras.
  2. I'm guessing that you didn't watch the OP's video. If you had, you would know that the thread is about the quality of phone/ipad pictures. (Well, actually it was product promotion for the Nokia that he was pushing, but it was wrapped up in the premise that all other phones take bad pics.)

ddbowdoin

My DL fireworks experience was ruined because of iPads.... my only gripe with DLR is that they don't have fireworks every night. We went back in February on a Monday-Friday and are only chance was the last night and there were hundreds of people holding up ipads and ipad minis. My wife is 5 ft on a good day, she was so annoyed.

ddbowdoin

Two thoughts:
  1. I've been behind similar idiots using 'real' cameras.
  2. I'm guessing that you didn't watch the OP's video. If you had, you would know that the thread is about the quality of phone/ipad pictures. (Well, actually it was product promotion for the Nokia that he was pushing, but it was wrapped up in the premise that all other phones take bad pics.)

except "real" cameras depending on the models have two options... one, quiet mode. Two, turn the f'n LCD off. Or just use a leica and people wont even realize you're taking a picture.

dadddio

except "real" cameras depending on the models have two options... one, quiet mode. Two, turn the f'n LCD off. Or just use a leica and people wont even realize you're taking a picture.
Just a few quick thoughts:
  1. If all cameras have quiet mode, I bet that many (most?) people aren't aware of it.
  2. Similarly, many camera owners likely are unaware of the ability to turn off the LCD or interested in doing so.
  3. Most people aren't going to buy a leica. If they were, Canon, Nikon and the rest would no longer exist.

ddbowdoin

Just a few quick thoughts:
  1. If all cameras have quiet mode, I bet that many (most?) people aren't aware of it.
  2. Similarly, many camera owners likely are unaware of the ability to turn off the LCD or interested in doing so.
  3. Most people aren't going to buy a leica. If they were, Canon, Nikon and the rest would no longer exist.

then that is just a testament to how stupid our society is... eh, what's this? an owners manual? oh I don't know to read that (clicks to Auto) mode.

dadddio

then that is just a testament to how stupid our society is... eh, what's this? an owners manual? oh I don't know to read that (clicks to Auto) mode.
Stupid, perhaps. I suspect that many people just never get around to reading owners manuals. They buy a point and shoot camera and just start taking pictures. Perhaps they intend to read the manual at some later point, or not.

I'll admit that when I upgraded from my 20d to a 70d, I never actually read the 70d's entire 460 page manual. I've looked up a few things that I was curious about, but I haven't taken the time to read the entire thing. I seriously doubt that I will ever have that amount of free time.

Last edited:

thomas998

I just looked at the specs of the iPad, and it looks like they only have a 5MP camera in them:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

The iPhones are 8MP cameras:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

If you are going to someplace like this, where most people are only able to go once or twice, WHY would you take pictures with a 5MP camera, when you can readily get a camera with about 16MP, if not more for the same price!

If it were me, I would want the HIGHEST megapixel camera I could afford, so I could get the highest quality shots!

Now if it is just everyday shots, MAYBE it would be okay!

Aside from them getting in the way of my view, I don't see it as that stupid of a way to take photos... so long as they are doing it where the light it bright. The photos you get with a tablet or phone look fine if they are out in the sun. Where I think they are complete idiots is when they are doing it in dark areas or at night... I haven't seen a phone/tablet yet that can do a decent photo in the dark, but they keep trying.

NowInc

Aside from them getting in the way of my view, I don't see it as that stupid of a way to take photos... so long as they are doing it where the light it bright. The photos you get with a tablet or phone look fine if they are out in the sun. Where I think they are complete idiots is when they are doing it in dark areas or at night... I haven't seen a phone/tablet yet that can do a decent photo in the dark, but they keep trying.

Some of the scum who steal photos from people and repost on instagram (and sometimes even get re-re posted on the official WDW account) will claim that their cell phones can take amazing DSLR photos.

Case in point: http://instagram.com/p/tI8EJ1lvRF/ (she deleted anyone who told her that stealing was wrong as she defended that this was taken with her iphone 5s...and yes..I know who the ACTUAL photographer who took this shot is)

thomas998

Some of the scum who steal photos from people and repost on instagram (and sometimes even get re-re posted on the official WDW account) will claim that their cell phones can take amazing DSLR photos.

Case in point: http://instagram.com/p/tI8EJ1lvRF/ (she deleted anyone who told her that stealing was wrong as she defended that this was taken with her iphone 5s...and yes..I know who the ACTUAL photographer who took this shot is)

If someone took that photo with a tablet or phone then I need to stop taking photos... I have a shot that looks pretty close to that one but it required me using an f1.2 lens, a speedbooster and a decent camera... If someone can actually do that with a cell phone then I give up... I've been spending money for nothing.

NowInc

If someone took that photo with a tablet or phone then I need to stop taking photos... I have a shot that looks pretty close to that one but it required me using an f1.2 lens, a speedbooster and a decent camera... If someone can actually do that with a cell phone then I give up... I've been spending money for nothing.

Exactly the point most people made. But she insisted on taking false credit. She has stolen many photos and each time she just blocks the people who call her out on it and says its all from her magical iphone.

thomas998

I'm trying to get upset about this very important issue, but I just can't imagine why I should care what device other people take pictures with.

I only really care when they get in my way. A cell phone held descretley doesn't bother me at all, I don't care if they have photos that look good or bad... But I do get annoyed when I'm on a dark ride and some idiot with a tablet holds it up to try and take a photo... I didn't get on the ride to look at your tablet, so please put it down.... Same things holds true with going to some of the live shows... you can't enjoy the show because 3 or 4 people in front of you are holding up tablets so they can get bad photos of a show they aren't even really watching.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom