I really wish Disney would be at the forefront of the ride technology.

cbrune

Original Poster
It seems like Disney has been overtaken by Universal in ride technology and the water park industry has grown leaps and bounds as well.. What is everyone else's opinion on it? Do you think Disney will step it up or are we on a steady decline of ride technologies now? When I first rode little mermaid the ceiling in the one big room really bothered me bc of how exposed it was. Also I feel like they could of made the mine ride longer as well, but that is just my opinion.

roj2323

Disney lets others design the systems now. The seven dwarfs mine train is a great example. The Idea for swinging cars was disney's but the ride system was designed and built by Vekoma, the Roller coaster manufacture.

HakunaMatata89

no need for more effort in technology when the guests will pay more and more every year for slow or no progress.

End of the day its always the same goal: More $$$$$ for less.

7KU7Fqx.png

copcarguyp71

It seems like Disney has been overtaken by Universal in ride technology and the water park industry has grown leaps and bounds as well.. What is everyone else's opinion on it? Do you think Disney will step it up or are we on a steady decline of ride technologies now? When I first rode little mermaid the ceiling in the one big room really bothered me bc of how exposed it was. Also I feel like they could of made the mine ride longer as well, but that is just my opinion.

I felt the same way about the ceiling (for some reason I always notice the ceilings on inside rides) but I think that falls on Disney as it does not pertain to the ride system per sae. SDMT was originally supposed to be longer and have more parts of it be inside features but once again budget and project cuts homogenized the final product.

I think @marni1971 had a good comparison of the two but here is what I found on original versus final...
SnowWhiteMineTrainOverlaymedium.jpg

layout3.jpg

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Sounds like your concern is more with ride emersiveness rather than technology.

Thumper14

The magic of Disney cannot be replicated by any other amusement park.
I love Universal Studios, but it is not Disney.
It is not magical and I do not feel like a kid again like I do spinning on the tea cups.
And nothing beats a Disney character like Pluto posing with you.
The Minions are adorable but they are not magical.

I think the biggest problem I see is that WDW has a very diverse population to satisfy.
Disneyland has a primarily local customer base, that is evident on how they reward their AP holders.
The average visitor to DLR feel like they own the park.
Carsland was a phenomenal success and is the best thing to happen to any Park.
The Imagineers still have it, but I do not envy them working with budgets, safety and much more.
They need to satisfy everyone 9 months to 90 years and 50 lbs to 300 lbs.
The average visitor to WDW feels more like a visitor.
WDW focuses on pleasing the Resort guests.

Matt Deitz

It is not magical and I do not feel like a kid again like I do spinning on the tea cups.

I think the biggest problem I see is that WDW has a very diverse population to satisfy.
Disneyland has a primarily local customer base, that is evident on how they reward their AP holders.
The Imagineers still have it, but I do not envy them working with budgets, safety and much more.

THIS! :D

Also realize OP, that for you mentioning seeing the ceilings, there will be two other people who will complain that instead of spending money to hide the ceilings, they could improve the attraction in another way. It's a no win situation for Disney. They have so many guidelines, restrictions (budget, safety, and others) to follow. They are trying to please the massive amount of visitors, pleasing everyone is not going to happen. :banghead:

lazyboy97o

THIS! :D

Also realize OP, that for you mentioning seeing the ceilings, there will be two other people who will complain that instead of spending money to hide the ceilings, they could improve the attraction in another way. It's a no win situation for Disney. They have so many guidelines, restrictions (budget, safety, and others) to follow. They are trying to please the massive amount of visitors, pleasing everyone is not going to happen. :banghead:
The failures of The Little Mermaid have nothing to do with budget, safety or appealing to the widest audience.

Matt Deitz

The failures of The Little Mermaid have nothing to do with budget, safety or appealing to the widest audience.

I think you missed my point. The OP stated they hated seeing the ceiling. That is something in almost all dark rides. I also find it detracting when I choose to look. But budget constraints on the projects stop them from doing more with an area of a ride that most visitors will not notice. Again, there are many factors in the design and execution of an attraction, where unfortunately,not everyone will be happy.

lazyboy97o

I think you missed my point. The OP stated they hated seeing the ceiling. That is something in almost all dark rides. I also find it detracting when I choose to look. But budget constraints on the projects stop them from doing more with an area of a ride that most visitors will not notice. Again, there are many factors in the design and execution of an attraction, where unfortunately,not everyone will be happy.
The budget for the attraction was not a factor in that design choice. It was just poor design.

Goofyernmost

Are you kidding? This group would have a hissy fit if Disney entered into current technology and didn't stick to the now, hardly impressive, animatronics. Look through these different threads and see how many times the mere suggestion of screens sends some into a tail spin. Don't get me wrong, I love animatronics and do wish that there were more of them around the parks, but, that is yesterdays technology. Yes, they can modernize what they have to make them even more realistic, however, that is still not today's world of electronics.

I hate to say it, but, if done properly going the screen route can be great. And for those that think that even that is a new thing and Disney would never have resorted to such a thing, check out YouTube for a 1970's video of "Mission to Mars". Primitive, yes. But, still very entertaining for it's time.

Marc Gil

They were, especially from the 1960s-1990s.

Expect a pick up when Shanghai Disneyland opens. Some revolutionary rides are in the works.

Unfortunately, the domestic parks are slowing down a bit

Californian Elitist

The ceilings in all of the Fantasyland dark rides at Disneyland cannot be seen. I don't know about Florida, anyone want to confirm?

Californian Elitist

Looks like you missed the point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom