Help with a ship please

tmitch

Original Poster
Hello, we have a cruise scheduled for February right now on the dream which is the only ship we have ever been on before. Wifey has given clearance for the way pricier cruise in March that's on the magic. Questions I have are 1. Would my wife who can get seasick notice the movement on a smaller ship? 2. Is the magic kind of a "letdown" coming off of the dream? I know disney wouldn't put their name on garbage but I think it's still a valid question. Thanks in advance

mammaminnie

I am fairly sensitive to sea sickness and did not notice much of a difference between the Fantasy and Magic. They do give out free sea sickness medicine in board if she ends up needing it too.

As far as let down, I don't think so. The smaller ships have so much old world character to them, and they don't have nearly the amount of people on the Dream. That being said, if there are parts of the Dream that you look forward to on cruises that are specific to the bigger ships, then that is something to think about as well.

Hope that helps :)

tmitch

Original Poster
It helps a lot, thanks. I know the magic doesn't have the detective agency which stinks, but I'm hopeful there's things that will make us forget about it anyway

Hello, we have a cruise scheduled for February right now on the dream which is the only ship we have ever been on before. Wifey has given clearance for the way pricier cruise in March that's on the magic. Questions I have are 1. Would my wife who can get seasick notice the movement on a smaller ship? 2. Is the magic kind of a "letdown" coming off of the dream? I know disney wouldn't put their name on garbage but I think it's still a valid question. Thanks in advance

I have sailed on both. Just came off the Wonder 3 weeks ago (Oct1 sailing) and I do get seasick. I have found no difference between the larger and smaller ships in regards to this. I have actually found that a smaller dinner in the dining room --not easy to do, will make a big difference and a better experience overall. I always carry medication just in case. (If you have it maybe you won't need it)
I love the water slide on the Dream, but the slides on the Magic are fun ! The AquaDunk is SCARY !! but I am still glad that I tried it. With the smaller ships, Castaway Cay is Great !!!! Sometimes a long food line, but plenty of chairs, hammocks, and not long waits for Pelican Plunge. This is one of the big differences between the ship size, smaller ship = more space & shorter lines.
You will enjoy either ship, so just choose the itinerary that you prefer. Have fun!

ChuckElias

In addition to what has already been discussed, the Magic recently underwent a total re-imagineering. So there will be lots of cool things, some of which will be similar to what you've seen on the Dream. Cruisegirl already mentioned the AquaDunk; Diversions is now O'Gills; other lounges have undergone big changes, as has at least one of the restaurants. Plus, you'll like Palo better on the Magic. It's theming is much cooler than on the Dream.

tmitch

Original Poster
^thank you sir. Should have mentioned palo or re my aren't options for us, as we refuse to put our only child with other people to look after. Without getting on a pedal, if something were to happen to him because his mother and I were at something like that we would never forgive each other. I should mention he just turned two, it's not like he's 12

durangojim

We've done both. We started with the Dream for 2 cruises and then did the Magic for a cruise this past January after it had been reimagined. We still prefer the Dream. The Magic is nice and I prefer the Animator's Palate show on it over the Dream but here's what I don't like about the Magic (we were in a category 4a room on both ships):
Chemical toilet smell in our stateroom
The toilet became plugged or didn't flush at least 3 times during our 3 night cruise
The layout of the pools. On the Dream you can sit in one place and see your kids in both pools, on the Magic there is a smoke stack between the two pools. If you have more than one child and they're in different pools you can't sit at one place and see them both.
No Aquaduck
We were on deck 8 and I could hear the deck chairs every morning being put out.
Smaller atrium, not as grand a feeling

The Magic is still beautiful, we just prefer the Dream and its updates. We go on the Dream in 2 days and the Fantasy next year.

LSUmagic

I havent sailed the Dream but we did sail the Fantasy for our honeymoon and the magic this past Jan. We loved both. Each has its charms. The Fantasy/Dream is a bit more grand and has a few extras like mid-ship detective and BBB. The magic has an more intimate feeling. The crew were more attentive to us on the Magic and it was nice at CC to have less people. I didn't feel a let down at all going from the Fantasy to the Magic. In fact we sail on the Wonder in a few days.
You cant go wrong w/ either.

ChuckElias

^thank you sir. Should have mentioned palo or re my aren't options for us, as we refuse to put our only child with other people to look after.
Totally understandable. That just means that you'll have keep cruising DCL until he's old enough for the Oceaneer's Club, so that you can experience Palo :)

He's cute as a freakin' button, btw. :)

wogwog

Each ship is a little different. Closely read the Disney Cruise site. Really a lot of detail on each ship is available. I am a lucky Florida local and sail multiple times a year and have been on all four ships most years.

Just depends on your preferences on features and activities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom