The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Then your wish is my command!
:)

Here is what the back of my spare rooms' door looks like, with most of my pin lanyards.

I started 'collecting' in 2000, almost a year after the 'Pin Trading Around The World' initiative began at Walt Disney World.
Never thought i would ever get caught up in the 'pin thing'....but a friendly Cast Member gave me my first lanyard with two pins and a neat ID holder, and....well...you can see what happened!

What i like about the pins is not only are the nicer ones fun little keepsakes, but almost all of them have a story behind them as to how i received them.
A good percentage of these were traded in the Parks with CMs, and most of them have a story to go along with that trade.

Here is a closer look at some of the pins in the collection that i consider more 'collectible', or just have significant personal meaning.

Uncle Walt watching over a few favorites....

Various pins related to EPCOT Center anniversaries, and my absolute favorite Attraction of all time, the Original 'Journey Into Imagination'.

Last edited:

PacNWTigger

WOW!!! I just started collecting a year or so ago with my DH when we got lanyards as part of our vacation package. I made sure when I went to WDW this summer to pick up a Figment pin from EPCOT, since he is my favorite dragon too! :happy:

We're trying not to go hogwild, but I think with our next trip I will get a batch of 25 from ebay or something so we have something we want to trade with CMs to broaden our collection. Gonna need a few more lanyards too! LOL!

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful collection!!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
My pleasure. Always nice to share with someone who can appreciate.

For several years every visit to the Theme Parks, whether it be Disneyland or Walt Disney World, would usually warrant a full lanyards worth a pins upon returning home after a weeks stay.
So each lanyard is from one particular visit and has it*s own *story* to go along with it.
I would often choose pins that would fit the theme or the particular highlights of any given visit with appropriate additions, until the lanyard became a kind of *time capsule*.
Each lanyard became a pin-representation of that particular visit.
After a while you can see how that *collection* grew!

Now, i tend to only purchase a few each visit instead of filling up a entire lanyard.
It is entertaining however to go back and examine those old lanyard collections of yore as they spark off memories of various visits.

I would say my two all-time favorite lanyards would be the one i assembled during the EPCOT 25th Anniversary *fan rally* Event, and the previously shown Tony Baxter themed one assembled during my first *Baxterland* Tour last year.

Here is a view of the EPCOT 25th lanyard -

This one has a lot of personal value, as it was a Event that i helped make happen.
So when i look at those Anniversary pins, i am reminded that all it takes is one person to set off a spark of an idea and then let others get excited about it and help fan the flame into a massive bonfire.

A very special turn of events, that time period was in EPCOT*s history, and i was thrilled to have been involved in that turnaround.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Well friends, it seems we have come to the end of this chapter of the adventure.
However, endings are in reality just the start of a new beginning.

It has been a wonderfully insightful experience seeing the Park with 'different eyes'...to have been able to see it from that Baxter-infused perspective.
That perspective has opened up a whole new world of discovery, and provided a much deeper understanding of certain aspects of not only the Park, but the people and Attractions that are associated with it.
I hope this thread has not only been able to give a glimpse into that perspective, but to also perhaps inspire others to go out 'into the field' themselves and experience their own 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland'.
If nothing else, may it have at least provided some interesting and informative reading.

So on this fine day, this one year anniversary of Mr. Baxter receiving his Disneyland Main Street Window, i close this chapter of a amazing year long venture.

Thank you Tony for all that you have done, and all that you continue to do !

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

*Are we almost there*....asks a impish purple dragon to his bearded friend.

* Oh, the Dreamport is never far away when you use your imagination..!* replies the jolly man known as the Dreamfinder.

Yes friends, the time has come to add yet another chapter to this ongoing saga.
Right at the start when everything is new, one little spark lights up for you.
The *sparks* of inspiration have indeed combined together into something marvelous..and if all goes well, TWO fabulous new adventures shall be forthcoming.

But let*s not get ahead of the story.

In 11 days, the next chapter begins...
Back again to explore, observe, enjoy, and savor all the sights, sounds, and experiences to be had at
*Baxterland - The Happiest Place in Anaheim* !

I have learned some new things thanks to hearing yet more entertaining stories told by Tony in some recent interviews, so i am looking forward to seeking these little gems out.
The insights that man has into things...and the stories he can tell you.
Gives you an entirely new perspective on the Park when you visit with those things in your head.

So let the pre-visit fun begin!

And what better way to begin then with this:
The newest addition to the *Baxterland* Disney Gift Card collection - card #5
Collect em* all, kids !

Yes, this is a real, genuine Disney Gift Card. No *Photoshop* jazz here, folks.
Always interesting when one of these is whipped out for a purchase in the Park.
Cast reactions are always fun.
I have told a few of the tales from past adventures with these earlier in this thread.

And now, time for some ambient music.
The *Baxterland* ventures have a official theme, you might like to know!

Que the official *theme music* for this particular venture -
The fabulous *Tomorrowland 2055* theme!
This still plays in the Park if you know where to find it ..( hint is in this particular links title)

Must-hear music for reading this particular thread.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-
So this time around, i will try to focus more on the *fun facts* and less of the...well...overzealous enthusiasm i might have overdone last visit.
I actually considered going back and editing some things here, as re-reading some of my posts from the last chapter i came away with the impression that i might have wandered off the path a bit.

In the end, i decided not to edit anything...as this thread is like a time capsule of sorts, documenting not only one fans* personal journey visiting the Park and their experiences colored in a Tony-inspired light, but some of the fun insights worth sharing related to the mans amazing scope of works and influences on said Park.

Oh, we shall still have a bit o* fun here however....oh yes.
Just feel a need to reign in my more *enthusiastic* posts methinks.
So no more paragraphs about meeting CMs who remind me of certain people, and ...well, that sort of thing.
Don*t want to embarrass the poor man if by chance he ever comes across this thread *out there* in the realms of Cyberspace.

Well, enough with that.
Time for a clear slate, and to start a New Chapter!

Let us begin here -
Time to share a pair of wonderful photos that i have been waiting some time to do so here.
As *uber-fans* and Members of the Tony Baxter Fan Club know, this past March 3rd was the 20th Anniversary of the opening of perhaps one of THE most spectacular Themed Attractions ever -
The * Indiana Jones Adventure - Temple of The Forbidden Eye*.
Hard to believe that it has been 20 years...but indeed it has.

Here is a great gem of a photo recently unearthed by a website called ThemeParkAdventure.Com showing Tony Baxter playing the role of a Cast Member observing people waiting in the Temple queue on Opening Day in 1995 -

Have a look at this nice article on said website, showcasing many more neat photos of the Attraction Opening.
Some great images here!
http://themeparkadventure.com/india...isneyland-1995-throwback-thursday/#more-21762

This visit, unfortunately, the *Indiana Jones Adventure* will be closed for a refurbishment....but that does not mean i cannot talk about it regardless.
As one of my favorite Attractions, i can talk about it until the cows come home!
I will of course still be wearing my IJA 20th Anniversary t-shirt at one point while in town that week, you can bet on that.
;)

Readers may recall that on my previous venture, one of my personal photographic highlights of the visit was finding and photographing *Tony*s Transport* at the Indiana Jones Adventure.
Not easy to do, as you have only about 20 seconds ( if that ) to shoot once it is spotted at the load-unloading area, and it is difficult to do so where there is usually a huge mass of people in your way.
I managed to do it...from a unexpected location...and yes, i will admit, i was thrilled.
One of those moments i guess a fan might only be able to appreciate.

What was also quite thrilling since then was finding this great photo of Tony being photographed with said Transport, pointing out his specially coded markings!
Awesome.
Fine...call me a *uber-fan* if you want...but i thought this photographic find was just darn cool !

No *Disney Point* here, however.
Ah, Tony....what a rebel...

:D

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
If all goes well, i will be able to pop in here a few times while in town with some on-the-spot, in-the-moment comments.
I will be rooming at my preferred hotel again, unlike last time, and will have access to their lobby computer.

Adventures are always much more fun when you share them.

In another topic, there was no special shirt painted for this particular venture.
As regular readers may be aware, it*s a fun tradition i have done for this series of visits to *Baxterland* to draw and then paint a new custom t-shirt to wear during the trip.
There were plans to a make a really cool shirt, but plans went afoul ( more on that later..).

I recently purchased a neat shirt last month however that fills in that little gap rather nicely....and is completely in theme with this particular visit.
The special Limited Edition 20th Anniversary *Indiana Jones Adventure* shirt is this chapter*s official t-shirt!

Now if only the Attraction itself was open next week while i*m there...!
Oh well....next time.
I had a great *virtual party* with friends on the day celebrating it*s 20th so i*m content.

So why no cool handmade shirt this time around, then....?
A long story, but one that some here might find interesting.

Well, i had put together a very nice and rather elaborate photo collage showcasing Tony*s entire career.
If i am remembering correctly, this Summer will be his 50th Anniversary of working for Disney, and i thought it would be cool to put together something that represented this.
The idea was for a really neat piece covering all the highlights and personal accomplishments of his in a photographic way, so a collage seemed the perfect concept.
A complex tapestry of many images coming together to represent the many entertaining experiences he has been involved in.

So the photo collage was started.
A massive collection of photos was gone through, images were chosen and printed, and then all hand cut and hand assembled onto a large piece of cardstock paper.
No *Photoshop* jazz here...no digital anything. Old school. Cut paper out with scissors and then tape the clippings together!
It came out really nice...so nice that the idea struck me that it would make for a neat t-shirt design.

So i took steps to make it happen.
The plan was to have this photo-filled image transferred to a shirt by the same company that i had tried out test printing one of my own art designs with.
That design featured the steampunk-inspired drawing of Mr. Baxter and a be-goggled Figment off on a imaginative journey.
You may recall it from a previous venture.
The print shop had no issues printing that one, even with Figment plainly included, but when they saw the Tony Baxter photo collage they refused to print it unless i had permission from Disney.
Yep.
Far too many *famous landmarks* contained in it...and like most print houses, they will not print something that is obviously *trademarked*.
I found it a little surprising, as there were no issues printing the Figment related piece months earlier but stuff happens.

So the fun photo collage shirt had to be shelved ....sadly.
I did*nt want to alter the design as the print shop suggested and basically make it *sterile*.
You just can*t have a photo collage representing Tony*s 50 years with Disney without including photos of the things he helped create!

So, yeah....no photo collage t-shirt in the end.

It may work out though, as i have another idea for using the collage for something else in the future.
Something that might turn out to be far more meaningful.
More on that at a later time.

And now, how about some photos.

Here is a peek at the creation of that collage.
Laid out here on the floor are some of the many photos that were printed out to possibly include in the full collage.
Not all of these shown were used. Looking at this now, i can see several that were not included.
Each of the photos that did end up being included had elements cut out by hand and set aside to be incorporated into the complete design.

Here is a look at the hand cut pieces being put together into the full collage.

Pieces are grouped together and moved around to find the best positioning.
Overlapping in key spots is crucial to a appealing final look, as well as photos that in themselves tell a story.
At the time this photo was taken, the collage was almost complete, but a few changes were made.
The finished design looks slightly different to the area being worked on here.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
If all goes well, i will be able to pop in here a few times while in town with some on-the-spot, in-the-moment comments.
I will be rooming at my preferred hotel again, unlike last time, and will have access to their lobby computer.

Adventures are always much more fun when you share them.

In another topic, there was no special shirt painted for this particular venture.
As regular readers may be aware, it*s a fun tradition i have done for this series of visits to *Baxterland* to draw and then paint a new custom t-shirt to wear during the trip.
There were plans to a make a really cool shirt, but plans went afoul ( more on that later..).

I recently purchased a neat shirt last month however that fills in that little gap rather nicely....and is completely in theme with this particular visit.
The special Limited Edition 20th Anniversary *Indiana Jones Adventure* shirt is this chapter*s official t-shirt!

Now if only the Attraction itself was open next week while i*m there...!
Oh well....next time.
I had a great *virtual party* with friends on the day celebrating it*s 20th so i*m content.

So why no cool handmade shirt this time around, then....?
A long story, but one that some here might find interesting.

Well, i had put together a very nice and rather elaborate photo collage showcasing Tony*s entire career.
If i am remembering correctly, this Summer will be his 50th Anniversary of working for Disney, and i thought it would be cool to put together something that represented this.
The idea was for a really neat piece covering all the highlights and personal accomplishments of his in a photographic way, so a collage seemed the perfect concept.
A complex tapestry of many images coming together to represent the many entertaining experiences he has been involved in.

So the photo collage was started.
A massive collection of photos was gone through, images were chosen and printed, and then all hand cut and hand assembled onto a large piece of cardstock paper.
No *Photoshop* jazz here...no digital anything. Old school. Cut paper out with scissors and then tape the clippings together!
It came out really nice...so nice that the idea struck me that it would make for a neat t-shirt design.

So i took steps to make it happen.
The plan was to have this photo-filled image transferred to a shirt by the same company that i had tried out test printing one of my own art designs with.
That design featured the steampunk-inspired drawing of Mr. Baxter and a be-goggled Figment off on a imaginative journey.
You may recall it from a previous venture.
The print shop had no issues printing that one, even with Figment plainly included, but when they saw the Tony Baxter photo collage they refused to print it unless i had permission from Disney.
Yep.
Far too many *famous landmarks* contained in it...and like most print houses, they will not print something that is obviously *trademarked*.
I found it a little surprising, as there were no issues printing the Figment related piece months earlier but stuff happens.

So the fun photo collage shirt had to be shelved ....sadly.
I did*nt want to alter the design as the print shop suggested and basically make it *sterile*.
You just can*t have a photo collage representing Tony*s 50 years with Disney without including photos of the things he helped create!

So, yeah....no photo collage t-shirt in the end.

It may work out though, as i have another idea for using the collage for something else in the future.
Something that might turn out to be far more meaningful.
More on that at a later time.

And now, how about some photos.

Here is a peek at the creation of that collage.
Laid out here on the floor are some of the many photos that were printed out to possibly include in the full collage.
Not all of these shown were used. Looking at this now, i can see several that were not included.
Each of the photos that did end up being included had elements cut out by hand and set aside to be incorporated into the complete design.

Here is a look at the hand cut pieces being put together into the full collage.

Pieces are grouped together and moved around to find the best positioning.
Overlapping in key spots is crucial to a appealing final look, as well as photos that in themselves tell a story.
At the time this photo was taken, the collage was almost complete, but a few changes were made.
The finished design looks slightly different to the area being worked on here.

Sorry to hear about the mess with the shirt, but it is a pretty collage. And the Indy shirt is pretty rockin'.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
A few days to go before the next adventure begins.
All packed and ready to go.
Oh yes. Ready.

Have all my shirts, check.
Have my official Tony Baxter Fan Club card...check.
Have my Tony Baxter Fan Club button...check.
Have all the other stuff usually needed when traveling abroad...toothbrush, funds, socks..etc.
Check.

Yay!

How about a few pre-venture teasers of some of the delights ahead -

A rite of passage involving starry skies and speeding rocketships....

A fairy-tale setting that involves silk flowers and a marvelous story that they can tell....

A river with a few bends in it that has revealed itself in more ways then one.....

*Indiana Jones Adventure* - Closed for Refurbishment April 20 through May 1st......
Du*oh !
:facepalm:

Well, most of what is coming will be delightfully more delightful then that closure.
Dang though, i sure will miss my occupancy in the Temple this time around!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
It's a beautiful day here in shiny happy Anaheim.
Fireworks in the sky greeted this Baxter Fan upon arrival last night, and a beautiful cotton candy pink sunrise greeted my eyes this morning.

Let the Adventure begin !!

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Wow what an amazing thread @Figments Friend having just spent the afternoon and part of my evening reading through I have to say it has been a very enjoyable experience :D Now I wish it was as easy for me to get to DL as it is to go to WDW as I would love to visit DL.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Wow what an amazing thread @Figments Friend having just spent the afternoon and part of my evening reading through I have to say it has been a very enjoyable experience :D Now I wish it was as easy for me to get to DL as it is to go to WDW as I would love to visit DL.

Thank you LiuetLaww for investing so much time and interest in this ongoing thread.
It means a lot to me hear that you have been enjoying it!

I highly recommend a visit to 'Walt's Original Park' sometime soon.
As a former 30+ year WDW Veteran, Disneyland is where the Magic truly is.
Do try to make it out here to happy Anaheim !

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I would love to visit DL but they don't seem to do the same holiday packages from the UK to DL as they do to WDW so it is more of a problem planning a trip out :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom