7 Dwarfs Mine Train was...

rael ramone

....pleasant enough, but 'lacking in content'.

Small 'coaster' section, small dark ride section.

One of these two needed to be longer (which would likely require a larger footprint).

And add me to those who wonder what happens when one of the 'projections' goes off line (the Charlie X effect?).
Would have preferred traditional AA's, or even the simple speechless ones the classic snow white had.

Bairstow

I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know the reason for the bright lights that shine on your face as you go down the lift hills?
Is this part of a not-yet-implemented photo opportunity or some sort of safety feature?

DSMDGA

The lights are there because with Memory Maker, you get both a photo and a video.

We rode four times last week. Overall, we enjoyed the ride. It broke down, or stopped for minutes at a time, the first two of the four rides. The first time, we were stopped in the jewel room. It was a great place to be stopped! On the second ride, we were stopped going up the hill right after the jewel room. NOT a great place to be stopped as we were in an uncomforatble position leaning back at an angle.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
You guys keep saying it is a D-ticket, but they won't even let me in the park with my ticket book! They charge some kind of atrocious cover charge now. How long has this ridiculousness gone on? Not even brandishing the ticket booklet in the faces of various CMs had any impact.

Fox&Hound

Just got back from The World. Loooooooved this ride. Yes, it could have been a tad longer, but I was impressed with the speed and the thrill. And the AA's!!!!! Wow. Best in the park. Given that it's located in fantasyland, I'm okay with the shorter ride length and feel that Disney did a great job.

habuma

Just returned from a week at WDW and my first shot at riding the 7DMT. After riding it 6 times, I can say that it didn't live up to the hype or the anti-hype. In other words, it's not an E ticket, but it's certainly more enjoyable than some of the anti-hype that I had heard. It was a smooth, enjoyable ride and well worth spending a FP+ option on. I probably wouldn't stand in line for more than 45 minutes for it, but it's still a fantastic ride (albeit short).

Tip (from experience): Get in line just minutes before park closing. At 3 minutes before closing time the posted wait time was 65 minutes. Since we had nothing better to do at that hour, we decided to go ahead and wait. (And since TP said the expected wait time was 39 minutes, we decided it was worth a try.) From the time we entered the line until the time we walked out thru the exit gate, exactly 30 minutes had passed. Totally worth the 30 minute wait and it gave us a chance to try out the interactive elements in the queue (the spinning gem barrels are awesome).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My assumption is that his post had some typos in there, I'm guessing he meant to say the original longer Mine Train layout with the extra show scenes. And unless ford isn't aware Mermaid is pretty much a 1:1 clone of DCA's (I would assume he is), i suspect his comment was actually referring to the vastly more ambitious suspended Mermaid ride pitched by Tony Baxter in the early 90's but never built, I think intended for Disneyland Paris originally (there's a CGI concept video on youtube showing the ideas).

That would indeed add a couple of fantastic new rides. The quality of the new offerings would have been very good, but that still wouldn't address Fantasyland's lack of ride quantity (and the lines wouldn't be pretty, they're already out of control as it is). Even had Mermaid and Mine Train achieved their full potential, several more dark rides are desperately needed to more evenly spread out the crowds.

There's also still plenty of room to do this. Just offhand there are at least three places I can think of offhand being squandered by unimportant things that could be put to good use. Choosing to build a new dark ride in place of the old Snow White building instead of squandering the space on a meet and greet would have been a good start. There's also a sizable piece of land behind Village Haus and Small World. I don't wish to derail this into armchair imagineering, but i'll just mention Beauty and the Beast as an easy and obvious ride for this location. The area is next to the BATB area already and you can put the entrance of the queue next to the same Be Our Guest entrance, people already approach that area thinking there's supposed to be a ride there anyways and are disappointed to find otherwise. And then of course there's all the space being squandered by the circus tents, there's enough space there to fit another clone of Mermaid with room to spare. You could actually fit two or three smaller Snow White or Pooh sized dark rides in this area alone.

That's without even repurposing or removing anything of importance or significance. If you're willing to accept further changes than that and don't have massive nostalgia for the Speedway, that attraction takes up another massive piece of land (large enough to fit multiple rides, both for Fantasyland or Tomorrowland). I'm a fan of Philharmagic, but i'd perhaps accept its loss in favor or either a new ride or a much improved and expanded Peter Pan (Philharmagic could also be moved over to DHS). But there's plenty of space to work with before even considering repurposing anything important. And if enough people are unhappy with these possibilities then i'm fine with keeping them (though i'm not sure if there's a huge fanbase for the speedway anymore, something at least needs to be done about the nasty fumes).

Yes on the first - IF TDO had built the original MUCH longer 7DMT which was pitched by WDI it would have been a true E-ticket, As to the second i.e. Mermaid - the difference is the FAR better show lighting and set dressing in DL because the rides do indeed share the same basic scenes and mechanism. In the DL one you CANNOT see the ceiling and support structures so the DL version is much more immersive than the WDW version.

Anders Limpar

Finally got to ride this. I really enjoyed it and was more impressed with it than I thought I would be. I still loathe the fact we didn't get two or three more show scenes. I feel if we would have gotten a few additional scenes that were done to the same quality of the one show scene we got, this ride would be viewed as one of the top rides in Orlando. But alas we didn't.

RSoxNo1

The glass in the final show scene no longer has a glare issue, however Snow White and Dopey were not moving yesterday.

brb1006

I really loved that ride, we rode it twice during out Senior Trip. I always really love the music that can be heard in the loading area. For my first go on our first day at Disney for our Senior Trip. There was this one girl who complained that the wait wasn't worth it for the ride. I disagreed and decided to ride it since it was new. I love how smooth the ride is. It's also one of the few roller coaster rides I would go on next to Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road and Space Mountain.

Last edited:

Todd H

My two cents. I followed construction of this ride and had high expectations. I was let down. I though the ride was so simple and short. For so much cool technology out there in theme parks, with the exception of the dwarfs faces, so much could have been done. I dont know of anyone that has ridden it that thought this lived up to expectations.

Just returned from WDW and rode 7DMT a few times. My seven year old liked it. I thought it was way too short, which is a sentiment I heard echoed a number of times at the exit of the ride. It was cute but unimpressive.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
My two cents. I followed construction of this ride and had high expectations. I was let down. I though the ride was so simple and short. For so much cool technology out there in theme parks, with the exception of the dwarfs faces, so much could have been done. I dont know of anyone that has ridden it that thought this lived up to expectations.

I enjoyed it because my expectations were not inflated as I read about it being short on here. I thought the AAs were nifty and I liked the swinging cart design. I also like that even though the wait time is posted as 60 minutes, it is closer to 30 to get through the line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom