Beach Club Resort - 20 Month Refurb

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sorry but all hotels have wear and tear. I've stayed at Ritz Carltons that have had knicks in the tables and scuff marks on the walls as well. I get to stay at the Floridian quite a bit (more than 4 to 5 times a year) and the overall condition of the rooms is not bad at all.
Why did you not complain to the manager most real hotels take room condition seriously, unlike WDW these days.

Rescue Ranger

I am very happy to see that work is being done! Refurbs and keeping everything in tip top are usually always a good thing.

Though with that said, after 20+ years of waiting to stay at this resort, we finally just booked a studio villa for the end of April. No mention of a refurb was passed on to us. Granted, I will say that Storm Along Bay is priority #1 for being at this resort as well as location. So just as long as the pool is fully operation, all should be fine on our trip. I would assume all pool work would be done November-March if there was going to be any work planned.

If Beach or Yacht club are going to be a mess at the end of April, I would have happily booked a studio at Grand Floridan instead.

googilycub

I also enjoy making pixie dusters heads explode it's almost more fun than going to Disney

It's cute that you think I am a "pixie duster" as I hold Disney accountable without being filled with hate like some. It is also a bit sad that you are permitted to troll this site like you admit to, it is one of the reasons my visits to this site has decreased.

googilycub

Except the hotel del Coronado is not on the monorail. For hotels like Poly and GF you are also paying for conveniences and locations. So comparing it to a hotel in San Diego is not really fair.

Stop letting facts get in the way of a trolls rant. They tend to not like it.

Next Big Thing

For my tastes at least, I really like the new GF rooms. While theme appropriate, the old rooms were VERY outdated. It's hard to have a hotel themed to the early 1900's and theme the rooms that way as well these days. The theme looks great in the common areas and in the exterior of the hotel as it has since the hotel was built (although the popcorn lights must be fixed).

But guests also expect modern amenities. They don't expect to pay $800 for a room that looks like a Motel 6, which the old photos certainly do.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Atleast Disney tries to help make up for inconveniences if you complain.

At the hotels recently??? Not in my experience last May in OKW, Fire Alarm malfunction which of course we had to evacuate for, well it kept firing basically we were out of room from midnight to 6 AM, Fortunately we had a car so we had somewhere out of the weather.

Did Disney compensate us in any way for not having the room most of the night, OF COURSE NOT hey you had a MAGICAL stay in the MAGICAL parking lot.

I've been comped rooms by Hilton and Marriott without even ASKING when some drunken idiot pulled the alarm in other hotels and in those cases it was less than an hour.

Count me less than impressed by the so called 'Disney Difference' these days.

Brian Swan

Nobody kill me but I like the new look. Looks updated but still has a deluxe feel to it.
Not going to kill you. Given the 2 rooms side by side, if I was paying $400/night I would rather have the new room. BUT... I would be dissatisfied with either if I thought I was staying in a "Victorian themed" resort. The "old" room misses the mark almost as much as the "new" room. The problem with "Victorian" is that it's almost impossible to do well on a mass-produced level - AND - many of the modern ammenities that people look for in a deluxe hotel room are not compatable with victorian charm.

I wonder if they saved the "old" GF beds; with a coat of white paint and a few subtle color highlights, they would be more appropriate in a "Beach Club" or "Boardwalk" environment than in a "formal Victorian" hotel...

NeedMoreMickey

Glad the BC is getting a refurb. I'm ok with generic bedding that looks like all the other hotels because what is most import for us in a deluxe hotel is location than the room. We don't spend a lot of time in the room. Beach Club is close to two parks so we spend less time traveling on the bus.

danpam1024

As long as there are people willing to pay more for less, "Disney Standards" will continue to deteriorate. $540/night was ridiculous (last time we stayed at BW in 2011), but the rooms were so well themed, original, etc. Location? Well it's a bonus, but it doesn't even come close to outweighing the cost- not by a long shot. Want things to get better? STOP going! Apparently money is the only way TDO will ever take a hint.

Minthorne

Do you think is Stormalong Bay is closed at some point during this refurb that they will offer the Water Park for free like they did at the Polynesian? I'm guessing that would time the closing of the pool (if at all) to be in the non summer months and they would offer this.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
Glad to see this happening, although it may force us to rethink the upcoming stay there. The villas rooms in particular are in desperate need of an update. I don't expect the rooms to ever be worth the rack rates - no matter how extensive the upgrade, nor would I ever pay regular rack rates for any deluxe. It's pretty well known that the rooms aren't anything special - but the location alone is worth the *discounted* price, IMO.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Glad to see this happening, although it may force us to rethink the upcoming stay there. The villas rooms in particular are in desperate need of an update. I don't expect the rooms to ever be worth the rack rates - no matter how extensive the upgrade, nor would I ever pay regular rack rates for any deluxe. It's pretty well known that the rooms aren't anything special - but the location alone is worth the *discounted* price, IMO.

The sad thing though is only a few years ago the rack rate was not insane like it is today - yes you paid a premium for 'onsite' access but it was on the order of 30% of comparable rooms, Not several hundred percent like today.

Little Green Men

At the hotels recently??? Not in my experience last May in OKW, Fire Alarm malfunction which of course we had to evacuate for, well it kept firing basically we were out of room from midnight to 6 AM, Fortunately we had a car so we had somewhere out of the weather.

Did Disney compensate us in any way for not having the room most of the night, OF COURSE NOT hey you had a MAGICAL stay in the MAGICAL parking lot.

I've been comped rooms by Hilton and Marriott without even ASKING when some drunken idiot pulled the alarm in other hotels and in those cases it was less than an hour.

Count me less than impressed by the so called 'Disney Difference' these days.
Sorry to hear that. I have yet to not receive anything for justified complaints. We got upgraded to a club level room at The Beach Club due to issues with Mymagic bands (we were switching from the DVC to the hotel in the middle of the trip). We have also gotten Fast pass passes and discounts at other times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom