Speechless at Disneyland Resort Trip Report

disney4life2008

Original Poster
I'm not far from Baldwin Hills.

The cheapest AP is no longer being sold, but the other three are still available.

One thing I noticed being out in LA was that a lot of people have APs. Its like a gold card - you say you have a AP and you are "in". If this opportunity comes about and I move to LA next summer - I will be the first in line for my AP. Dinner on me at The Plaza Inn (seriously) - that food was amazing.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Yet another WDW Vet converted.....YEEESSS!!!

:D

Definitely return when you can, as there is so much more to experience.
Glad to hear you enjoyed your one day outing, and in that one day you noticed the stark contrast between the Parks on both coasts.

Rather enjoyed your one-paragraph overview of your experience...absolutely spot on in your observations.

In my experience, at DL, you feel like a welcomed Guest in every sense of the word.
You are *embraced* as such.
At WDW, all too often now it seems you are just another cog in the wheel.
You are *processed* as such.

So true - I would love to stroll around the Californian Resort and Disneyland Hotel. While I did not get to experience Downtown Disney at all - it looks so much better than the WDW version (at least in present form). Anaheim seems to have a lot to see and do - I had never heard of Knotts Theme Park I passed that on the way.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Sounds like you had a great day. It was very unfair of you to post that picture of the Plaza Inn fried chicken as it made me super hungry! I love that stuff! Next time you go back definitely do Space Mountain, it is so much better than WDW's. We never ride Space in Florida but ride it as much as we can in California.

The picture gives it no justice lol. If you have been to WDW and had the fried chicken on property (Trail's End was not good in contrast to what many people on here say; Prime Time Cafe was delicious but no comparison) - The Plaza Inn wins every competition. The ambiance in there was amazing - grand - I never felt special at a CS place. Rats - now I am hungry lol

disney4life2008

Original Poster
We r planning in staying at Camelot Inn and Suites right across the street. We r also bringing my youngest sister who has never been either so for a group of 6, resorts r kind of limiting, but they have a 2 bedroom suite that will do just fine! We all cannot wait to go. We r going toward the end of May so hopefully the 60th stuff will be gong on. It's rumored to start 5/15/14.

You are going to have an amazing time during the 60th. I love the attractions in theme parks but the entertainment is what I really pay for. Others have said WOC is getting a 60th reboot - I can't imagine it getting better than what it is now. Make sure you plan your days - it does get crowded - but the lines are very manageable. I stood in a few 60 minute lines but they move pretty fast. Pay close attention to detail at everything in the resort - it is immaculate.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Mermaid fits into DCA's roster better for the reasons you describe. It's a diverting and fun attraction with usually next to no wait in park with very little like it. TDO would have you believe it's an E-Ticket for the MK, which causes a serious expectation problem. And FP+? Puhleeeze

Do you think FP+ would ever make its way out to DLR?

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Squeeeeeaaaalll! I totally enjoyed your TR. You got me so pumped for our trip next August. I'm going to make the hubby sit down and read it. Gotta remember the bathroom locations.

Yikes! lol - plan those restrooms stops at DL. I realize now I passed many - but I guess they were not as obvious like at MK. I am used to exiting an attraction and entering into a store/restroom.

Californian Elitist

One thing I noticed being out in LA was that a lot of people have APs. Its like a gold card - you say you have a AP and you are "in". If this opportunity comes about and I move to LA next summer - I will be the first in line for my AP. Dinner on me at The Plaza Inn (seriously) - that food was amazing.

That is true, lots of Angelenos and Southern Californians in general have DLR APs. A lot of my co-workers have APs, as well as my friends at school and friends in general. It's almost like a tradition...almost.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
The picture gives it no justice lol. If you have been to WDW and had the fried chicken on property (Trail's End was not good in contrast to what many people on here say; Prime Time Cafe was delicious but no comparison) - The Plaza Inn wins every competition. The ambiance in there was amazing - grand - I never felt special at a CS place. Rats - now I am hungry lol

I agree I have had the fried chicken at the 50's Prime Time but the Plaza is the best. It is tough to decide whether to eat inside or outside at the Plaza. The inside is so nice but the view outside it amazing with the castle and the Matterhorn. Well, I guess there is an easy way to decide whether or not to eat inside or outside....eat there twice!

Dgeek

Honestly - no. It doesn't mesh with the demographic. If it did, I think it would be highly altered.
You are very naive if you really believe that. The Magic bands program is a Walt Disney Company program, not just a two project. When, not if but When they figure out how they want to do it at Disneyland, It will be there.

GiveMeTheMusic

You are very naive if you really believe that. The Magic bands program is a Walt Disney Company program, not just a two project. When, not if but When they figure out how they want to do it at Disneyland, It will be there.

I am not naive; I'm aware of the incredibly strong resistance to MM+ from DLR management. MagicBands and FP+ don't make sense with the average DLR guest's visiting pattern, and TDA knows that. If they come here at all, they will be highly modified.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
There is a big difference between adding MB and implementing MM+ to DL. If they brought MBs and integrated it with the current FP system I think it would be fine at DL. The pre selecting 180 days in advance, would not go over well.

Figments Friend

So true - I would love to stroll around the Californian Resort and Disneyland Hotel. While I did not get to experience Downtown Disney at all - it looks so much better than the WDW version (at least in present form). Anaheim seems to have a lot to see and do - I had never heard of Knotts Theme Park I passed that on the way.

When you return and have more time to explore, DO visit both of those Resort Hotels.
The DL Hotel in particular has come neat eye candy that anyone can enjoy inside the various hotel buildings.
Don't miss the massive 'collage' of memorabilia display in the hallway that goes by the functions rooms, and be sure to check out the amazing model of 'Big Thunder Mountain' in the lobby of the 'Frontierland' building.
'Jungle Cruise' figure models can be seen in the lobby of the 'Adventureland' building as well, and don't miss 'Trader Sam's' !

The Grand California has a nice lobby to relax in, with a large roaring fire in the fireplace and a live piano player in the late afternoon.

DTD in Anaheim is indeed a bit more cohesive and 'together' then the Orlando version, in my opinion.
The atmosphere is hip and fun...and the vibe from the crowds is different then in FL.
The shops are mostly high end, but there are some nice distractions....and a huge version of 'World of Disney'.

Knott's Berry Farm is worth a visit.
They just finished revamping/restoring some of their most famous classic attractions and they should be experienced.
Knott's is a fun side trip for a afternoon.

:)

Figments Friend

Do you think FP+ would ever make its way out to DLR?

Personally i sure hope it never does, or if it does, in a altered form that better suits the Guests needs at DL.

One of the reasons i now favor DL over WDW is because i do not have to deal with the FP+ nonsense.
It is a serious deterrent for me and is one of several reasons why i have shifted my focus West.

TP2000

I am not naive; I'm aware of the incredibly strong resistance to MM+ from DLR management. MagicBands and FP+ don't make sense with the average DLR guest's visiting pattern, and TDA knows that. If they come here at all, they will be highly modified.

I agree. MyMagic+ and NextGen has got to be radically re-engineered to work at Disneyland. TDA may just end up picking and choosing a few elements of it, and leave a lot of it for Florida.

Hence the complete dearth of preparation and rumors about it coming to Disneyland, several years after it began to be implemented in Florida. If parts of MyMagic+ or FP+ are headed to Anaheim, it's not going to be any time soon. If at all. Same for Paris and Hong Kong.

Last edited:

TP2000

Anaheim seems to have a lot to see and do - I had never heard of Knotts Theme Park I passed that on the way.

Anaheim has Disneyland, that's enough. (Plus a hockey team, a baseball team, and some good dining options downtown)

Knott's Berry Farm is in Buena Park, the next town over from Anaheim. Knott's was America's first theme park; it started as a chicken dinner restaurant and boysenberry stand in the Great Depression.

Mrs. Knott's fried chicken became so famous people would wait for hours to get in, and so Mr. Knott began building funny little "ghost town" vignettes and exhibits to entertain the diners. By the late 1940's Mr. Knott had built an entire ghost town with shops and a stagecoach ride, a burro ride, and a passenger steam train that would travel around the berry farm and be overtaken by masked robbers every 10 minutes.

Knott's Berry Farm 1940's - Judging by the hemlines and hairdos and that '38 Ford, I would guess this was during World War II
ghost_town_1940s.jpg

Walt Disney visited Knott's Berry Farm in the early 1950's as he was researching his own themed amusement park. The Knott family was invited to Disneyland's opening day, July 17th, 1955.

With Disneyland's instant success, Mr. Knott assumed his park would be out of business within a year, but the opposite happened. During the 1950's through the 1980's, as Disneyland became an instant success and household name around the world, Knott's was the de facto "second gate" for Disneyland. Disneyland was closed on Monday/Tuesday until the mid 1980's, and Knott's would be closed on Wednesday/Thursday. It was very routine for Anaheim tourists to spend a couple days at Disneyland, and then on Monday head off and go to Knott's Berry Farm nearby.

Both Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm have been open seven days a week for almost 30 years now, coexisting happily.

The Knott family sold the park to Cedar Fair in 1997, and for the most part Cedar Fair has done a good job of adding newer roller coasters while maintaining the 1950's era ghost town and flagship older attractions. Knott's is hard to describe, and is more like Dollywood rather than a Six Flags type corporate theme park. It's no Disneyland, but it's definitely worth a day for anyone who is a fan of theme parks.

Knott's also makes the best boysenberry jam and preserves in existence. Look for them in your grocers jelly aisle and try some.
ProdAdminImage.ashx

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Original Poster
When you return and have more time to explore, DO visit both of those Resort Hotels.
The DL Hotel in particular has come neat eye candy that anyone can enjoy inside the various hotel buildings.
Don't miss the massive 'collage' of memorabilia display in the hallway that goes by the functions rooms, and be sure to check out the amazing model of 'Big Thunder Mountain' in the lobby of the 'Frontierland' building.
'Jungle Cruise' figure models can be seen in the lobby of the 'Adventureland' building as well, and don't miss 'Trader Sam's' !

The Grand California has a nice lobby to relax in, with a large roaring fire in the fireplace and a live piano player in the late afternoon.

DTD in Anaheim is indeed a bit more cohesive and 'together' then the Orlando version, in my opinion.
The atmosphere is hip and fun...and the vibe from the crowds is different then in FL.
The shops are mostly high end, but there are some nice distractions....and a huge version of 'World of Disney'.

Knott's Berry Farm is worth a visit.
They just finished revamping/restoring some of their most famous classic attractions and they should be experienced.
Knott's is a fun side trip for a afternoon.

:)

It sounds like I could spend a half day at the hotels as well. Like WDW - do they have specialty restaurants?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom