Tokyo DisneySea Problems

FigmentForver96

Original Poster
Ok so I def plan on visiting the Tokyo Resort very soon and my main priority is DisneySea. So like what is the park like for those who have been? What are the weak or cheap spots of the theme park? What are the best? Is the Little Mermaid section up to Disney standards? How are the rides? Thanks

steve76

Weak spots - none. Seriously, I can't really think of any. Maybe Mermaid Lagoon but that's only because it is more child-focused so of less interest to me and so I didn't linger there. But I would say that it's definitely up to Disney standards.

Definitely arrive early, and allow plenty of time just to take in the scenery and look at all the details. My favourite areas are the docks on the American Waterfront and the ship (you can climb to the top and walk around the deck, where you get great views over the park).

The rides are generally great - my favourites are Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Indiana Jones, Sinbad, Tower of Terror, and the transport rides. The only coaster there (Raging Spirits) isn't all that great.

It's a really great park. Have fun!

Last edited:

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
DisneySea is the best of all of the Disney Parks worldwide that I have been to (so far I have visited10 or the 11 Parks). the only weakness is the size of the crowds, but by getting there early and using the Fastpass system I was able to really enjoy the park. I live in Tokyo for three years and believe that the city is so large that the people there are use to crowds and do not mind waiting hours to get on one ride. We stayed at one of the on park hotels and the getting in fifteen minutes early did help a lot in getting the first Fastpass and riding two rides with very little wait time.

We stayed at the Disney Ambassador Hotel, but I think if we go again I would stay at the Tokyo Disneysea Hotel Mirccosta. It look great and actually extended into the park so the better rooms had in park views.

I loved the shows on the water. The daytime show was great with the jet skies and evening Fantasmic was really great.

All I can say is plan ahead and know that the park is going to be filled to the brim. There is no other Disney Park with the attention to detail as I saw at DisneySea.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-tokyo-disney-trip-report.833326/

Above is a link to TDLR trip report I wrote a couple years ago. I wrote a fair bit, so you'll get a good idea of my thoughts on everything at TDL and TDS, as well as a lot of logistical things about going there.

Weak spots are few:

1. Crowd level can be insane, but you deal with that.
2. Raging Spirits is pretty lame for the length of line it gets.
3. Food is expensive.
4. They are a few attractions short of where they should be. Lots of headliners/E-tickets and a good handful of well-themed stuff for kids, but lacking in the mid-range C-ticket area.

But these are minor quibbles in the grand scheme of things. It's a great park. You'll love it.

Last edited:

Aree

If you can, I recommend planning your day at DisneySea on a weekday following a public holiday (Tuesday is best). Last time I was there, there had just been a long weekend with Monday being a holiday, and we barely had to wait at all for any of the rides we wanted to go on. It was the least crowded day at any DIsney park that I've ever experienced (I live in Tokyo and visit both Disneyland and DisneySea several times a year.)

Soarin2u

The ENTIRE Park is beautiful very well merged and so meticulously detailed. Japanese hospitality is already some of the best. The crowds did bother me but I still adored the experience I had. Just get Fastpasses, bring entertainment and ride during the shows (if you're willing to sacrifice them). Stuff is not cheap, but is it anything Disney? LM is great, its child friendly but not overwhelmingly. Rides are good, Indiana Jones was the best. I was disappointed with the water bumper ride in the steam punk zone. No, that was an understatement, I was VERY disappointed with that one. Tower terror is a classic and I left before I could ride much else.

I absolutely loved it. If I could, I'd pay to go back any day.

BrerJon

Don't worry about it being up to Disney standards, the Tokyo parks far *exceed* the standards of the US parks. Tokyo Disneyland Park is Magic Kingdom, take 2. The imagineers learned from Florida and fixed their mistakes, meaning the Japanese park is a perfect blend of Anaheim and Orlando's parks. And as for DisneySea... words can't really do it justice.

Others have covered many of these points I think, but my tips would be these:

Familiarise yourself with the park map and what attractions there are before you go, or at least plan what to get Fastpasses for.

Make good use of Fastpass while you can - they run out quickly, and have long lines just to get them, but those lines move quickly. This is a good article on that side of things:
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201308/3624/

Try to pick a weekday to go, and get there before the park opens, as weekend crowds are insane. Also lots of people arrive in the evenings, so don't count on lines getting shorter as the day goes on.

At DisneySea, Tower of Terror and Journey to the Centre of the Earth are the big things to go for - get a Fastpass for one, then ride the other. Luckily Toy Story Mania absorbs the main Fastpass rush, but I suggest skipping that as it's no different to the USA versions.

DisneySea must-do's are Tower of Terror (different to the USA versions), Journey, Sindbad (don't miss!) and Storm Rider. Oh, Fortress Explorations is Tom Sawyer's Island to the max. Oh, and 20,000 Leagues. And Aquatopia. Their Indiana Jones too... And the shows... oh there's just so much good stuff.

Also if lines seem long for everything, don't despair. There's always quiet corners and so much detail and things to look at. You could spend an afternoon in American Waterfront alone - make sure you go inside the ship, it's stunning!

Have a great time, take in the detail, don't panic if crowds seem insane, and most of all just enjoy being in the most detailed, cared for, and expensive Disney parks you'll ever set foot in.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom