Considering my circumstances, is it worth it?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So, I've been mulling over the idea of doing the Princess Half for 2016...yes, lots of time to prep. I just don't know if it's worth it considering my medical limitations.

I average 5.5-6.5 miles per weekday and anywhere from 8-12 miles per weekend day. The only issue...I often find myself walking a chunk of the distance. I have asthma related issues which are greatly aggravated by running. My doctor of course wants me to be careful, but I have a friend who is a running coach who is giving me some pointers on how to build up to more running than walking. I was really encouraged with my progress the other night...actually running over half of my weekday mileage without having my lungs tighten up and none of that awful constriction in my throat. Still, the reality is that I may have to walk a lot for health reasons.

I've always wanted to try a race at Disney, and while a shorter race seems like it would be more logical, I really wanted to try for the half since even 10K feels short. I don't care about my time or anything like that and wouldn't care if I'm at the back of the pack. I just wasn't sure since I will probably have to walk a lot of this. Thoughts?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Another runner asked me once why he was so worn out. Turned out he was running every day! Of course, there are people who can do that. I am not one. :)

I usually have about 2 days per week where I either totally rest or change it up. I have an elliptical, so it allows me to get in some cardio yet give my feet/legs/joints a bit of a rest. I never really feel worn out from overdoing it- i.e. if I run/walk too many days - but the aches and pains from overdoing it are another story.

dreamfinder

Nothing wrong with walking, run/walking, working in periodic walk/jog breaks. As long as you can do better than the 16 min pace, no reason not to try at least once.

Kristia

@HouCuseChickie - Good for you! I say go for it! Like @dreamfinder and @Mad Stitch say, as long as you can maintain a 16 min mile overall for the race you will be fine. And that doesn't mean that every mile has to be under 16 minutes. You just have to have an average 16 min mile. For a half marathon, they give you 3:30 to finish starting from the time the last person crosses the start line. So technically if you aren't the last person to start you may have a little cushion there. Check out the Jeff Galloway plans which incorporate run/walk strategies in your running. He has plans for running Disney half marathons. If you can do these plans you will be good to go. The key is planning your walk breaks before you are totally winded or tired. Some people even find with the planned breaks throughout the run, you can get an overall better time during a race. Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom